Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    From what I gather from that is as long as we don't pass printed material to a vehicle, we should be fine.
    That bill was to address the panhandling.
    The problem is that the way the bill was worded it covers a lot more than just panhandlers. Signage is also forbidden. It comes under "advertising". All it would take would be a single complaint from an anti-2nd foe and the law could be used against you, (if it were signed into law by then).

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    The problem is that the way the bill was worded it covers a lot more than just panhandlers. Signage is also forbidden. It comes under "advertising". All it would take would be a single complaint from an anti-2nd foe and the law could be used against you, (if it were signed into law by then).

Read it again. This is the qualifier

to or from an
    occupant of a vehicle in the roadway; or,

(2) Conversation or discourse with an occupant of a vehicle in the roadway.

You can do these activities if you stay away from the vehicles.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    From what I gather from that is as long as we don't pass printed material to a vehicle, we should be fine.
    That bill was to address the panhandling.

I concur. However, if someone in a car stopped at a light requests a pamphlet, what do you tell them? No, I can't, it's against the law?
    Sounds fishy:rolleyes:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No, the vehicle section only applies to the "distribution" of.
    It shall be unlawful for a pedestrian to sit, stand or move within or upon a roadway, or a median
    between two (2) roadways, or within the public right-of-way not exceeding fifty (50) feet from the traveled
    portion of any intersection controlled by an automatic traffic signal or stop sign, for the purpose of or while
    engaged in (by oral or written methods): (1) Soliciting, or peddling, selling, advertising, donating, or , property, or service,
    including but not limited to tickets, handbills, newspapers, or other printed material, to or from an
    Just standing there with a sign is illegal, under the new law. That's why there was specific talk at the meeting and by opponents that it would also outlaw the guys who stand near the intersections with "going out of business" signs. They don't intereract with cars at all, yet they are covered by the new law.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    No, the vehicle section only applies to the "distribution" of.
    Just standing there with a sign is illegal, under the new law. That's why there was specific talk at the meeting and by opponents that it would also outlaw the guys who stand near the intersections with "going out of business" signs. They don't intereract with cars at all, yet they are covered by the new law.
    We won't be standing, we will be walking.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We won't be standing, we will be walking.
    It shall be unlawful for a pedestrian to sit, stand or move within or upon a roadway, or a median
    between two (2) roadways, or within the public right-of-way not exceeding fifty (50) feet from the traveled
    portion of any intersection controlled by an automatic traffic signal or stop sign, for the purpose of or while
    engaged in (by oral or written methods):
    :D

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Now you're taking it out of context, as the additional text clarifies...because otherwise, it would be against the law just to be on the sidewalk within 50 feet of an intersection and talk.

Sec. 431-702. Prohibited activity in around roadways.

engaged in (by oral or written methods):

(1) Soliciting, or peddling, selling, advertising, donating, or distributing any product, property, or service,
    including but not limited to tickets, handbills, newspapers, or other printed material, to or from an

(2) Conversation or discourse with an occupant of a vehicle in the roadway.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    THIS WON'T TAKE EFFECT UNTIL AFTER THE WALK... TOTALLY IRRELEVANT!

Want to discuss the new law... start a new thread.

Props to the walkers... I'm glad a clear message has emerged, and feel that it is a good one.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    THIS WON'T TAKE EFFECT UNTIL AFTER THE WALK... TOTALLY IRRELEVANT!

Want to discuss the new law... start a new thread.

Props to the walkers... I'm glad a clear message has emerged, and feel that it is a good one.

Yes, this, please. The thread is long enough as it is. Thanks.

BTW, if a new thread is started, could we possibly get a mod to move the posts?

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Has anyone thought about contacting the NRA about this march so they can support it? If you can get the NRA on board then you might be suprised about how many people show up. There are other pro gun groups in the state that would also be interested in the march. After reading some of the post I am wondering if it is worth the trouble.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Has anyone thought about contacting the NRA about this march so they can support it? If you can get the NRA on board then you might be suprised about how many people show up. There are other pro gun groups in the state that would also be interested in the march. After reading some of the post I am wondering if it is worth the trouble.

I thought about this, but came across two big problems. One, the NRA regional director said he doubts the NRA would support it but would get back to me after talking to the upper guys. No word. Second, if the NRA gets in on the deal, the media would portray this as an NRA backed event and dismiss us. We're grassroots. I'd like to stay that way.

Also, I contacted the Second Amendment Patriots. The head guy emailed me back and told me instead of doing this, go to local town council meetings and get involved with them instead. :scratch: Great idea and I do plan to motivate us all to do so, but I think he missed the point. When I pointed that out he seemed to not want anything to do with this event. Oh well. Not a big deal.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    SE: this is even better because its our/your event. You get these other politicos involved and they will inevitably take it in another direction that may not necessarily coincide with yours. Keep this one your own. Let the others take notice and they can join in on the next one if so inclined.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Our route is A-OK with the city. Just got an email confirming this. Just making sure we have no conflicts with the city. :D :thumbsup:

I'm currently waiting on the phone call to confirm our meeting spot as well.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We have to choose a new meeting place. I'm out of options.

Ryan,

After speaking with my superiors about your request, unfortunately, it is determined that allowing you to assemble with full knowledge of firearms and carriers of same being checked by IMPD is something we cannot allow at any of our locations. Please understand this is purely an insurance and a liability issue.

Jeff Allsup
    Area Manager
    CIB Parking Properties
    Dension Parking In.
    (P) 317-916-1760
    (F) 317-972-6720
    jallsupconseco@denisonparking.com

Sent: Tue 9/15/2009 3:47 PM
    To: Jeff Allsup
    Subject: Request for use of parking lot on Sep. 26th

To whom it may concern,

My name is Ryan Savage. I'm currently organizing a Walk downtown Indianapolis for Gun Rights on Saturday, September 26th. Our goal is to educate people through showing them their rights and handing out packets of information on various issues concerning gun rights and the right to self-defense. We are requesting use of your parking lot located across from the City/County Building downtown Indianapolis as a meeting point and parking place. We will be meeting with the IMPD to do safety checks and make sure that all participates are legal to carry a handgun for those who will be doing so. Camera's will be on hand to record the entire event.

We have cleared the walk with the Event Advisory Board of Indianapolis and the Indianapolis Metropolitian Police. They support our walk and have cleared us to do so. We are working closely with IMPD who will accompany us on this walk to make sure there are no problems and that we remain safe the entire time.

We would like to use your parking lot as just a meeting point. We would be willing to pay you compensation for your generousity for allowing us to park and know that we will only be there long enough to do our safety check before and after the walk. We are expecting no less than 30 people and most likely no less than 20 vehicles. We would really appreciate the use of your parking lot and if you could get back to me I would appreciate that. If you have any questions or concerns you can contact me directly at the following:

Email: snip
    Home #: snip

Thanks!
    Ryan Savage

Apparently it's not ok for people with a LTCH and possess a firearm to park at their locations. I'm going to compile a list of their parking areas so we can boycott them because the reasoning is :bs:.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    My e-mail to Denison Parking...

My name is Harry Thomas, and I am a retired police lieutenant.

On September 26, I will be a participant in an open carry walk in downtown Indianapolis. A number of citizens will be openly and peaceably carrying firearms to demonstrate patriotism and support for the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

We were to stage in the parking lot adjacent to the City/County building, a parking facility operated by your company. I am now informed by one of the walk organizers that your company has stated that we will not be welcome at your facility due to the fact that we will be in possession of firearms, an act that is not only completely legal but protected by the constitutions of the United States and the State of Indiana.

Words cannot express my outrage at this slap in the face to a group of patriotic citizens. I can assure you that I will never again patronize a Denison Parking facility, and I will encourage my friends and relatives to avoid them as well. Additionally, I will be notifying the National Rifle Association as well as posting an account of your contempt for American gun owners on numerous websites that advocate for gun rights and at any other venue I can think of.

Lieutenant Harry Thomas
    Carmel, Indiana

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What are the plans for after the walk? Do we plan on having an OC dinner somewhere?

That's something I've not been able to do. If anyone knows a place that would be great! I've just been to busy to ask around. Plus I never go out to eat so I know zero places that are mom and pop.

Top Bottom