Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Oh, wow. You couldn't possibly come up with a worse time for me if you tried. A middle of the day event pretty much eliminates any large blocks of time for anything else and I do generally have pretty busy weekends.

Of course, you have to make your schedule based on everybody not just one person so just take that as a data point.

This is a great point. It is why I hate Saturday noon weddings. They blow your whole day. You can't get anything done in the AM or PM.

Is noon set in stone? could we post a poll to see which time would work best for everyone that plans to attend. I myself was hoping for a late afternoon evening time but could go for a noon if we have to.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is a great point. It is why I hate Saturday noon weddings. They blow your whole day. You can't get anything done in the AM or PM.

Is noon set in stone? could we post a poll to see which time would work best for everyone that plans to attend. I myself was hoping for a late afternoon evening time but could go for a noon if we have to.

Be at the meeting point by 11am and walk at noon. This way they can't report on this at noon news and are forced to do so in the evening news. Most shooters go to the range during the day and are home for supper so this will reach them since it's our secondary target audience. Our primary audience is the folks we encounter on the street.

I know the time is not convienent, but it is what it is. Is that weekend warrior project, race, football game, whatever really more important than standing up for your rights? Is what's going on Saturday something that can be done on Sunday? I'm giving everyone a month to rearrange plans. If it's really more important, so be it. As you said, them's the breaks! :):

Can't please 'em all.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Can't please 'em all.

No, you can't please them all. Don't expect to and don't get upset when you don't. And you might want to be careful about being too critical of people who make other choices.

First off, when it comes to "standing up for our rights" your walk is not the only game in town. Second, if you really want to alienate people who might miss this one but be at the next one, being too critical of people who make different from what you would wish is a good way to do it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I wasn't being critical. I was simply posing a question if those silly things we do on the weekend were more important. If that's being critical then, well, that's the effect of the wimpification of America then. :laugh: I'm not trying to offend anyone and as I said, if you have something that is more important then so be it. But I'm merely asking if "The Game" is more important than this? If so, so be it.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I wasn't being critical. I was simply posing a question if those silly things we do on the weekend were more important. If that's being critical then, well, that's the effect of the wimpification of America then. :laugh: I'm not trying to offend anyone and as I said, if you have something that is more important then so be it. But I'm merely asking if "The Game" is more important than this? If so, so be it.

There's something I have to explain to my wife from time to time: after a while "reminding" and "asking" start becoming nagging. Look back over this and the "what's the point" and the "message" threads and count up how many times you've asked that. And how many times have you phrased the question about going to this, particular, event as not caring about defending our rights?

It's a free country (still, more or less) and you can say what you want but I'm just suggesting you might want to tone things down a bit lest you alienate more than you need to.

I've often addressed the question of tactics. What effect are you trying to achieve? I'll presume that your goal is to persuade more people to take an active part in supporting the 2nd Amendment and other rights. I think you'll find that for most people attempting to "shame" them into taking that roll is not a terribly effective tactic.

When I was in the AF we were warned that the instructors in my DLI class (mostly Russian ex-pats) had a tendency to treat poor class performance with things like "look at the results of this test. It's obvious to me that you can't hack it. You should just quit. You're wasting everyone's time here." Apparently, in Russia, we were told, the students on receiving such a scathing (and public--this was done in front of the class) dressing down would tend to buckle in and improve. In America (again, we were told) students would be more likely to take the instructor at his or her word and just give up. The warning was an attempt to get us, the students, to not take such things personally and see it instead as an indication that the instructor does think we can do better. Personally, I don't know how well that worked.

One of the things I've learned both in keeping various animals and in raising my daughter is that the most effective way to get behavior you want is by rewarding good behavior. Positive reinforcement of desired behaviors just works better than criticism/punishment of undesired. The latter have their place, but the bulk of upbringing really should be from the former.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    In America (again, we were told) students would be more likely to take the instructor at his or her word and just give up. The warning was an attempt to get us, the students, to not take such things personally and see it instead as an indication that the instructor does think we can do better. Personally, I don't know how well that worked..

Not to completely derail the focus of this thread but when I was in the Army , NCO's would routinely use this type of negative reinforcement to force a person to dig deep down and decide whats really important to them .

I think it worked well because I can't recall ever having seen anyone quit over it . Some guys couldn't hack it physically but that's another issue .

I think I understand your point being "you can get more with sugar than **** "

But lets not bicker about it and move on . If you can't make it , you will be missed .

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Not to completely derail the focus of this thread but when I was in the Army , NCO's would routinely use this type of negative reinforcement to force a person to dig deep down and decide whats really important to them .

I think it worked well because I can't recall ever having seen anyone quit over it . Some guys couldn't hack it physically but that's another issue .

I saw that in Basic to, but there was far more to it than that. The situations that made it work there aren't really applicable here.

I think I understand your point being "you can get more with sugar than **** "

But lets not bicker about it and move on . If you can't make it , you will be missed .

And if folk who can't make it--for whatever reason--aren't made to feel alienated perhaps they'll make it next time.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    And if folk who can't make it--for whatever reason--aren't made to feel alienated perhaps they'll make it next time.

I know, I'm being harsh. I don't and do intend that. It's not that I'm being critical of those who want to come but can't or those who don't want to be the test case. I am, however, being critical of those who would sit on this forum and type away at how we need to do this or that but when it comes time to DO something they sit at home because this this or this could go wrong when ever ANYTHING is suggested and have only negitive things to say or add.

Again, I understand if you CAN'T come for whatever reason or if you'd just rather not want to be the test case. Not a big deal. God, Family, Country. But there are those who have criticized me because I'm doing this but refuse to do anything else. Some have criticized me for doing this, but have other ways in which they help the cause. That I respect. I didn't figure the WHOLE board would like this idea, let alone come. To have 15 people show up is a victory in my mind.

I hope this clears up the statements I've been making and to whom they are directed at.

To all those contributing to this planning phase, I'm VERY grateful and very proud of. To all those who actually attend this, you will have my utmost respect. As do those who do what they can to help the cause.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Lead by example. Be at the front of every charge. Lead by example.

It is the absolute only way a person can be a leader and inspire people to follow them in a free society.

People with jobs, responsibility, and honor who keep their commitments are not going to tolerate a dressing down from some one they know does not. They have no credibility with people who have spent years, even decades, if not their entire life living up to their commitments and responsibility. Expecting these people to drop every thing they have going, on command, at a couple days notice...

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Lead by example. Be at the front of every charge. Lead by example.

It is the absolute only way a person can be a leader and inspire people to follow them in a free society.

People with jobs, responsibility, and honor who keep their commitments are not going to tolerate a dressing down from some one they know does not. They have no credibility with people who have spent years, even decades, if not their entire life living up to their commitments and responsibility. Expecting these people to drop every thing they have going, on command, at a couple days notice...

A story that is told of Joan of Arc. One day, when the French troops were quite discouraged, she said she would lead the charge against the wall. One of the generals said "Nobody will follow you." The Maid of Orleans replied, "I shall not be looking back to see if anyone follows me."

She led, they followed, and they took the wall and the city.

On the other side, thanks to Gilbert and Sullivan we have:

In enterprise of martial kind,
    when there was any fighting,
    He lead his regiment from behind,
    he found it less exciting

But when away his regiment ran,
    His place was at the fore. Oh!
    That celibrated, cultivated, underrated nobleman,
    The Duke of Plaza-Toro

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The Maid of Orleans replied, "I shall not be looking back to see if anyone follows me."

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Best quotes I've read in a long long time and I make a point to collect them. There's a master's degree in those two sentences.

repped

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I got a lot going on this weekend. I think I'm going to walk away from this for the weekend and just check in from time to time see how things go. But I'm going to let you all talk about and work things out see what we all come up with.

Read the first two posts of this thread to see what I have worked out, keep the route discussion to ourselves is all I ask. That includes a meeting point. I'm waiting until the meeting with the IMPD to find out about flags and/or signs deal and how much they are going to work with us. Which I'm guessing is going to be a lot. :)

Also remember, if you're not on my email list I won't be able to email you the meeting point before the rally. You know, since I'm not posting it online.

Anyway, back to my Corona. Have a good weekend. I'll chat with y'all Monday. Hopefully. :cheers:

:patriot:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I got a lot going on this weekend. I think I'm going to walk away from this for the weekend and just check in from time to time see how things go.

Also remember, if you're not on my email list I won't be able to email you the meeting point before the rally. You know, since I'm not posting it online.

Anyway, back to my Corona. Have a good weekend. I'll chat with y'all Monday. Hopefully. :cheers:

Bump:D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Hmm. I figured you all had some good ideas or at least some interesting stuff to add to the discussion. Was kinda hoping someone else would step up to help out big here. That's ok, it was the weekend. We'll see how the next couple days go. :D

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Hmm. I figured you all had some good ideas or at least some interesting stuff to add to the discussion. Was kinda hoping someone else would step up to help out big here. That's ok, it was the weekend. We'll see how the next couple days go. :D

There really isn't anything else to do until the meeting with IMPD. After that we will know what we can and cannot do. Other than planning around and backup route.

Also as far as handing out info, this may be considered similar to having signs.

Once again, may not be, but really until the IMPD meeting I wouldn't expect to many peopel to put a lot of planning into the details we are unsure about.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    There really isn't anything else to do until the meeting with IMPD. After that we will know what we can and cannot do. Other than planning around and backup route.

Also as far as handing out info, this may be considered similar to having signs.

Once again, may not be, but really until the IMPD meeting I wouldn't expect to many peopel to put a lot of planning into the details we are unsure about.

Handing out info was confirmed ok. Signs were pretty much confirmed ok, but not completely confirmed. But that doesn't cover things we can plan. Like the message/talking points thread. What all is going to be in the packet? What do we want the designated speakers to say to the media? What is our Statement of Intent going to say to the media?

The route will be discussed in the next meeting. So if you want to be included in the route planning you'll have to attend the meeting. It won't be discussed online. So setting a date for the next meeting can go ahead now. If I don't hear from IMPD in the next couple hours I'm going to call them back about 1pm to set up the meeting with them. I don't see why it couldn't be in the next couple days.

I can't think of anything else to be discussed unless I'm forgetting something.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    OK boys and girls. I spoke with the people at IMPD. Here's what's going on....

EAB (Events Advisory Board) is having a meeting at 1200 Madison Ave, Suite 100 on Tuesday (tomorrow), at 10am. This is where we can meet with all those interested and can file for a permit if we need to.

We will have 5 minutes to present our plan and then debate about it. This isn't madatory, but we will be able to meet with the two people we need to work with. I was told we do NOT need a permit for this Walk. DO. NOT. NEED. A. PERMIT.

It was suggested we get one anyway, but not required. I think as long as we meet with the IMPD officer on this we will have their support. He didn't seem 'hostile' about this event, but did have some concerns. Not a big deal, that's why we're meeting with them.

So this is it boys. Lets set a meeting date for the route. If you want a say in where we walk, you'd better show up for this meeting. I know this weekend is a holiday weekend so lets shoot for a week night this week. Sometime after 6pm. I know some of you work during the evening but that's ok. If you have some suggestions for the route and a meeting point... EMAIL them to me and they'll be presented at the meeting.

Let me know what evening works best for you all and that's the night we'll meet.

Top Bottom