Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Work meeting, I won't be able to get out of it unless the president of the company cancels it. It's also at noon so no matter what time the walk is, I can't get from Indy to Chicago in enough time to make it. :n00b:

Just have someone plant some exlax in his coffee that morning. :D Nah, it's ok. I'd really wished you could have come because you're very knowledgable about all these things and would make a great asset even if all you can do is help plan in the future... :thumbsup:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Just an update, I spoke with the lady that handles the permit and event planning. She gave me the number of the LEO involved with approving events and such. She said she understood what we were planning and didn't see why we would need a permit, but that we should speak with this LEO (Who I will not name publicly) and meet with him. As I told her how much we desired to work closely with the IMPD on this she seemed over joyed that we would like to work with them on this.

Pretty much the city has confirmed that we will not need a permit for this. Yes I gave SOME details on what we were planning to do and how this was to be an educational event, not a protest. She marked the date, gave me the number to call, and wished us well.

I called the LEO specified and am waiting on his phone call. With the GP race and the 1500 this weekend I don't expect to hear from him until well into Monday.

I hope this relieves some of you all's concern about this event to know that the someone in charge of events and permits has given us an enthusiastic go ahead.

Myself and two others will, hopefully, be meeting with the LEO when a meeting is scheduled and hash out some details with them. We have a lot of questions for them and I'm sure they'll have many more for us. At least they know we intend to work closely with them.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Do you have a time and expected duration?

Also, if you have a route picked out, you may want to get out and pre-walk it, then double how long it takes for the expected time (groups always seem to take longer for these kinds of things than individuals).

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Do you have a time and expected duration?

Also, if you have a route picked out, you may want to get out and pre-walk it, then double how long it takes for the expected time (groups always seem to take longer for these kinds of things than individuals).

This is just an initial thing. We have the foundation and the purpose and what we plan to do, but the route is not decided on. Me and a couple others plan on going through downtown to scout out routes and possible parking places. Cheap to free is the goal.

Once we have all the details worked out we'll go back to the LEO and see if everything conforms with the laws and codes. This first meeting is just us extending a hand to them and see if they extend back.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    This is just an initial thing. We have the foundation and the purpose and what we plan to do, but the route is not decided on. Me and a couple others plan on going through downtown to scout out routes and possible parking places. Cheap to free is the goal.

Once we have all the details worked out we'll go back to the LEO and see if everything conforms with the laws and codes. This first meeting is just us extending a hand to them and see if they extend back.

What is the chance we could start and end at the same place so we don't need a bunch of transport vehicles?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just an update, I spoke with the lady that handles the permit and event planning. She gave me the number of the LEO involved with approving events and such. She said she understood what we were planning and didn't see why we would need a permit, but that we should speak with this LEO (Who I will not name publicly) and meet with him. As I told her how much we desired to work closely with the IMPD on this she seemed over joyed that we would like to work with them on this.

Pretty much the city has confirmed that we will not need a permit for this. Yes I gave SOME details on what we were planning to do and how this was to be an educational event, not a protest. She marked the date, gave me the number to call, and wished us well.

I called the LEO specified and am waiting on his phone call. With the GP race and the 1500 this weekend I don't expect to hear from him until well into Monday.

I hope this relieves some of you all's concern about this event to know that the someone in charge of events and permits has given us an enthusiastic go ahead.

Myself and two others will, hopefully, be meeting with the LEO when a meeting is scheduled and hash out some details with them. We have a lot of questions for them and I'm sure they'll have many more for us. At least they know we intend to work closely with them.
    Get everything in writing. Otherwise it's worthless.

BB62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    ...but the route is not decided on. Me and a couple others plan on going through downtown to scout out routes...
    Another suggestion - here in Ohio, one of the OC walks was planned for a certain route, but the organizer missed the fact that the planned route exposed the firearms of the walkers to the storefronts only. We walked with traffic instead of against it, and most people being right-handed...

You may also want to consider having some people (if they are not right-handed) carry in a cross-draw position for maximum exposure.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    SE,

When next you edit the beginning posts of this thread, you may want to have the date and time of the march posted at the top of the first post. That would make it easier for folk to check on the key info. The easier it is for people to find that info, the better.

Also, if a time has not been set yet it's better to set it soon. I don't know about others, but I can't base my plans on just the day. I need to know the time because I have other things to work around. The sooner I have that information, the more likely I'll be able to make everything work.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That is a good point. I think someone mentioned this to me before (off-line) but I hadn't considered it until now. Thanks for posting!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I Think we had decided on starting at noon, but I want everyone to show up an hour early so we can pass out materials, go over the route, the rules, and do safety checks.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I Think we had decided on starting at noon, but I want everyone to show up an hour early so we can pass out materials, go over the route, the rules, and do safety checks.

Soooo.....really it starts at 11? It is just easier and more clear if you can set a time to be there. So are we meeting at 12 and walking by 1 or meeting at 11 and walking by 12?

see what I mean? I would say we meet at 12 that way we can all have eaten some lunch before. We can go over materials etc and be walking by 1.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

Oh, wow. You couldn't possibly come up with a worse time for me if you tried. A middle of the day event pretty much eliminates any large blocks of time for anything else and I do generally have pretty busy weekends.

Of course, you have to make your schedule based on everybody not just one person so just take that as a data point.

Top Bottom