Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Oh, you mean the same tactics that got us NFA '34, GCA '68, the 922(o) provision in FOPA '86, Brady, the AWB, and so on?

Look, the tactics you list above are all "within community" stuff with very little "outreach." Without a strong "outreach" committment we. will. lose.

Also, you've used the "all of them, not just the 2nd Amendment" argument. I'm curious about just who you might have voted for that is supposed to be protecting "all of them" that doesn't also come with the 2nd. That argument is usually used in defense of voting for an anti-gun candidate who is really no better (if not actually worse) than the pro-gun candidate on the rest of the Bill of Rights. (Current crop of dems in Congress as a case in point.)
    I hope you have realized by now that what the politicians say during elections and what they do after they are in office are 2 different things. It seems that you think this "walk" is going to somehow change the happenings in Indianapolis and Washington. Just like the tea parties stopped the stimulus, and other spending bills that will no doubt cause a rise in taxes?? For the record, I am not against what you are doing, in fact I think it is a good idea. That being said, it has been suggested that if it is not labeled as a march or parade, and lacks some set forth criteria, that no permits and other legalities are needed, my question was: Why not pony up and make it a full on event? Get your point and message across with more than the hope that someone will "ask". Furthermore, if the "tactics" I use to educate my children, and people close to me do not suit you and you believe that they will only lead to more gun laws (as you suggested above) that is fine with me, at least I know that they have the knowledge to make informed dedcisions, and can provide for themselves without the aid of welfare, food stamps and the like. Good Luck to all of you who are participating in the walk, I truely hope it is a success.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This thread is now off track. Can we please get it back on topic now. Discussions like this have their own place and it's not here.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I hope you have realized by now that what the politicians say during elections and what they do after they are in office are 2 different things. It seems that you think this "walk" is going to somehow change the happenings in Indianapolis and Washington. Just like the tea parties stopped the stimulus, and other spending bills that will no doubt cause a rise in taxes?? For the record, I am not against what you are doing, in fact I think it is a good idea. That being said, it has been suggested that if it is not labeled as a march or parade, and lacks some set forth criteria, that no permits and other legalities are needed, my question was: Why not pony up and make it a full on event? Get your point and message across with more than the hope that someone will "ask". Furthermore, if the "tactics" I use to educate my children, and people close to me do not suit you and you believe that they will only lead to more gun laws (as you suggested above) that is fine with me, at least I know that they have the knowledge to make informed dedcisions, and can provide for themselves without the aid of welfare, food stamps and the like. Good Luck to all of you who are participating in the walk, I truely hope it is a success.

Just because this won't solve everything in one go doesn't mean it's not a great place to start. Yeah the TEA parties didn't undo the porkulous. But they weren't a waste, either.

Baby steps man, baby steps :):

SE has said, let's try this little OC, see if we can pull it off legally, peacefully, then see where we go from here.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This thread is now off track. Can we please get it back on topic now. Discussions like this have their own place and it's not here.

:+1:

MOD HAT ON.

We can debate the merits of the "walk" in the "what's the point" thread, and particular goals and talking points in the "talking points" thread. Please keep further discussion here pertinent to the organization of the event itself.

Thank you.

MOD HAT OFF.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    It just occurred to me that you guys will be in the streets every time you cross one, (hopefully at the corners in a crosswalk. :) ). This would be a good excuse for TPTB to force you into a permit or to harass you during the "walk". Something you might want to think about, if you don't want to end up walking around 1 block.

Yep- discussed... we can only hope that the PD is not that hostile as to get so technical...

Any time a plan has the phrase "we can only hope..." in it, you have an indicator that more contingency planning is needed.

True. But it is very, very unlikely.

While I too thought of this, I starting thinking more. If I walk down the middle of the street (gun or not, group or not) there are going to be problems.

If I cross a street in front of traffic their could be problems.

If I use a crosswalk when it says walk, there is no problem. I think this would be the same for our walk.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    While I too thought of this, I starting thinking more. If I walk down the middle of the street (gun or not, group or not) there are going to be problems.

If I cross a street in front of traffic their could be problems.

If I use a crosswalk when it says walk, there is no problem. I think this would be the same for our walk.

The part about being in the streets is said to mean if we take up a lane of road while we walk. Not about crossing the streets. If they get this technical there are always lawsuits that can be filed later.

There could always be problems and we need to prepare for them. That is the point of planning.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Folks, I'm a bit new here so let me introduce myself...I'm the retired Ohio LEO who is offering what advice and experience I have to this event.

Two points I want to briefly touch on:

1) You don't want to turn this into anything that requires applying for a parade permit. Getting into that system places control over this event in government hands. As a retired police command officer I can tell you they WILL NOT want this walk to happen. This is something new in Indiana and it's going to scare them. If we apply for a permit it will be denied. If we go through the appeals process it will be denied again. Our only recourse after that would be a lawsuit. We need to USE the law as it is written. This is a WALK, nothing more. And that leads me to...

2) The reason we must carry no flags, signs or anything of that nature has nothing to do with the city's requirements or definitions, it is a preemptive move on our part. One of the events that requires a parade permit is a DEMONSTRATION. If we SAY we're having a walk but show up with such items, AND if I was a law enforcement command officer who wanted to shut us down, I would say, "AH HA! You said this would be a walk! It's a DEMONSTRATION! You need a parade permit and don't have one...DISPERSE!"

Also, there is no organization that is sponsoring this. It is a COINCIDENCE that so many participants in this walk frequent this board. We are simply a group of like-minded citizens displaying our patriotism.

We must be scrupulous about the fact that we are merely using city sidewalks (legal) and the only difference between us and everyone ELSE using the sidewalks is that we are armed (also legal). ANYTHING THAT WE DO ADDITIONALLY places us in danger of being classified as something OTHER than a walk, something that the city will be fervently hoping that we do so that they can jump on it.

I participated in several such events in several Ohio cities, large and small, in recent years. Every one of them was a WALK. There were no parade permits, we carried no flags or signs, there was no shouting of slogans or chanting...we just strapped on guns and walked down streets of a pre-planned route. These walks went VERY WELL. People were interested and MOST of them were supportive. Confrontations with people on the other side were infrequent and uneventful. The police in the larger cities HATED it...and couldn't do a thing to stop us.

There is no reason it can't happen the same way here, but we MUST all get with the program and be on the same page.

P.S. Do a search on "open carry walk Ohio" and you can learn a bit about how some of them went.

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    It just occurred to me that you guys will be in the streets every time you cross one, (hopefully at the corners in a crosswalk. :) ). This would be a good excuse for TPTB to force you into a permit or to harass you during the "walk". Something you might want to think about, if you don't want to end up walking around 1 block.
    As long as we obey the traffic lights and don't impede the flow of traffic I doubt they can say anything. I might be wrong but a crosswalk is an extension of the sidewalk and as long as we obey all laws that govern pedestrians we should be ok.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have updated the two OP's in this thread with some revised and added info. If anyone feels I'm leaving something out please let me know so I can add it. Thank you.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Edit: This has been posted for discussion in the Message and Talking Points thread. Please discuss there. This is just an informative post as this was updated to the OP. Sorry for any confusion.

Something else has been brought to my attention that I feel I must discuss a little further. We cannot have signs because it will require a permit. Permits require a 30 day notice and an 8 day filing period. That is too long to wait and too expensive a hassle.

We WILL, however, be working on a packet of information to hand out to anyone willing to listen and learn. This is the best we can do for the everyday people we encounter. The media will have people they can talk to. If they try to corner anyone into making a dumb statement, it simply won't happen. We will have dedicated media spokespeople and anyone who is not one of these people will just simply refuse to speak to the media. Politely of course. If there is a reporter such as the CNN reporter that was hostile at the Tea Party to the man with his small child they will be asked aside. If they continue their hostility we will figure out how we will handle such a hostile person. Any hostility will most likely be met with silence and all of us ignoring that person. The best they can hope for is someone handing them a packet of information and a "vaya con dios".

This would make a good thing to discuss.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    ACK! I have a meeting Saturday the 26th in chicago :(

Good luck everyone! I'll keep my eye on it incase anything changes, I'd love to be there!

And, likewise, there is a shoot scheduled up at Bass 'N Bucks organized by a friend of mine on the weekend of the 26th. A number of people bringing a bunch of neat toys to play with.

Let's see, shoot at .50 BMG rifle and a crank-operated semi-automatic M1919a4 (among others) or walk around Indy? decisions, decisions.

Got to look at the details of the schedules and see if I can do both. Need to know not just date but time.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    To those who said they would come with me to the IMPD meeting, I would like to setup a seperate meeting for just us to discuss what we need to do and present at the meeting. I have the contact info, but have not setup a meeting with them yet.

Liberty Sanders, 2ADMNLOVER, and there were a couple others offering to come. Please get with me asap tomorrow so we can set something up. Thanks guys!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Rough Draft. Need help.

We are here to Educate the People of this Great Country that what we are doing is a God Given Right. A Right to self-defense, a Right to defense of others, and a Right to defense of this Country. We are here to show the People that we have been silent long enough and will not tolerate any more infringements on our Constitution as a whole. We are not here as a show of force. We are not here to bully or coerce anyone. We are not the terrorists we are being made out to be. We are your neighbors, your friends, your family.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    How about instead of taking out the sentence we replace terrorists with something. If I remove that sentence, something needs to come before or after the last sentence to make it make sense. In my mind anyway.

BB62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Greetings!

I am from Cincinnati, and have been made aware of the planning for this event by an Indianan.

I am posting here to keep apprised of the situation.

I apologize for not reading all 42 pages (!) of the thread, but wanted to suggest that you might want to contact the Second Amendment Patriots (from IN) if you have not done so.

You will find me on OCDO, and on Ohioans for Concealed Carry and Buckeye Firearms forums, among others.

Hi Liberty!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Meetings , shoots ? Come on guys how many times will you have the chance to walk around the circle with a bunch of other folks carrying long guns ?

Work meeting, I won't be able to get out of it unless the president of the company cancels it. It's also at noon so no matter what time the walk is, I can't get from Indy to Chicago in enough time to make it. :n00b:

Top Bottom