Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So are you volunteering to donate funds for this then?

Exactly. Insurance is a requirement, I'm sure we'll have to pay IMPD for overtime, $10 processing fees, paying for peoples fuel if they drive in the march, plus it won't be able to happen until late October.

How about the second go around we shoot for this. For now we need a test run.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Exactly. Insurance is a requirement, I'm sure we'll have to pay IMPD for overtime, $10 processing fees, paying for peoples fuel if they drive in the march, plus it won't be able to happen until late October.

How about the second go around we shoot for this. For now we need a test run.
    Read my previous posts, I would have no problem "helping the cause" by donating some cash to cover expenses in an event that I were participating in.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    What education are you going to give them? I think the points of the event are becoming blurred. Is it public education? Is it showing the politicians that you enjoy and will exercise your rights? Is it the fact that "open carry" is allowed in Indiana? See what I am getting at?

And the answer to your question is "yes."

After all, why does it have to be only one "point." Those various points do not dilute each other (unlike, say, bringing in health care or what have you). Instead, they support each other.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    And the answer to your question is "yes."

After all, why does it have to be only one "point." Those various points do not dilute each other (unlike, say, bringing in health care or what have you). Instead, they support each other.
    I get the point....but unless people stop to ask you questions AND listen to your replies, nothing will be gained. What I was getting at was, be organized, carry signs, wear shirts with some sort of message about your cause, arm yourselves with educational materials for those who don't have time to stop and listen to you speak. If these things make it a march or parade then so be it. See my point?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    What education are you going to give them? I think the points of the event are becoming blurred. Is it public education? Is it showing the politicians that you enjoy and will exercise your rights? Is it the fact that "open carry" is allowed in Indiana? See what I am getting at?

Why not all three? We educate the public that OC is allowed in Indiana. In doing so, the politicians get a healthy reminder that we take the constitution seriously.

See what I am getting at?

All I see is fear.

By sitting at home, what do YOU hope to accomplish? :dunno:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    As many as I could, that is not the point. How many people downtown are going to stop, take time from their day and listen to what you have to say?

How many would if we weren't there?

And one of the things we'll have is pictures and videos of the event. Consider that most of what we see of the armed gentleman in Arizona is not from the news media, but from pictures and videos on the internet.

No event, no videos of the event with the potential to "go viral."

Also, I think most of us thinking of this aren't thinking in terms of a single event than forget about it, but as the start of something bigger. The one event may not have much impact--but then if other people in other parts of the country see us having a safe, successful (for sufficient values of successful), OC event, they will be more inclined to do the same. And when we come back with another event several months from now, it will reinforce the first one, and so on.

"Step by step the longest march,
    can be won, can be won.
    Many stones can form an arch,
    singly none, singly none."
    Toast to Unknown Heroes
    Leslie Fish
    (The context of the song was different, but the refrain still applies.)

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    If you had no knowledge of this and we passed you would you ask? There are many out there who are not the liberals everyone thinks we will encounter.
    I said nothing of liberals. I know plenty of people both right and left that could use some education about our rights, and the legal exercise of those rights. To answer your question, yes, I would ask. But not all people are inclined to do so.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I said nothing of liberals. I know plenty of people both right and left that could use some education about our rights, and the legal exercise of those rights. To answer your question, yes, I would ask. But not all people are inclined to do so.

The public needs to merely SEE this happening without danger or police intervention to be educated. It's so simple.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

We don't need all, just some for now. As David said this is one of who knows how many. Will it be perfect? No. Will we learn from it and improve upon it? Yes. This has to start somewhere so why not right here right now? When others see good men stand up it makes it easier for they themselves to stand!
    I choose to stand NOW!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I get the point....but unless people stop to ask you questions AND listen to your replies, nothing will be gained.

Is your prediction really that nobody will ask questions and listen to replies?

What I was getting at was, be organized, carry signs, wear shirts with some sort of message about your cause, arm yourselves with educational materials for those who don't have time to stop and listen to you speak. If these things make it a march or parade then so be it. See my point?

I saw your point from your first post. I just disagree with it. That's an important distinction.

And what makes you think we won't be armed with educational materials? Most of us are members of one or more organizations that work in support of the 2nd Amendment. Do you really think that no one will get pamphlets, flyers, and what have you to hand out--particularly now that the idea has been broached?

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Greensburg
    Why not all three? We educate the public that OC is allowed in Indiana. In doing so, the politicians get a healthy reminder that we take the constitution seriously.

All I see is fear.

By sitting at home, what do YOU hope to accomplish? :dunno:
    Because you know me so well right? What exactly am I fearful of? By sitting at home, being a member of the NRA, teaching my children that guns are a good thing. Teaching them how to shoot, hunt and provide for themselves. Introducing people that otherwise would not get a chance, to guns, shooting, hunting and the like, supporting and voting for people that will protect my rights (all of them, not just the 2nd amendment), all while working everyday to support my family. I guess I am just going to accomplish nothing, right?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

Then it's a good thing we're not asking for "all" people to do so, nor is that a requirement for a successful event.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Because you know me so well right? What exactly am I fearful of? By sitting at home, being a member of the NRA, teaching my children that guns are a good thing. Teaching them how to shoot, hunt and provide for themselves. Introducing people that otherwise would not get a chance, to guns, shooting, hunting and the like, supporting and voting for people that will protect my rights (all of them, not just the 2nd amendment), all while working everyday to support my family. I guess I am just going to accomplish nothing, right?

Oh, you mean the same tactics that got us NFA '34, GCA '68, the 922(o) provision in FOPA '86, Brady, the AWB, and so on?

Look, the tactics you list above are all "within community" stuff with very little "outreach." Without a strong "outreach" committment we. will. lose.

Also, you've used the "all of them, not just the 2nd Amendment" argument. I'm curious about just who you might have voted for that is supposed to be protecting "all of them" that doesn't also come with the 2nd. That argument is usually used in defense of voting for an anti-gun candidate who is really no better (if not actually worse) than the pro-gun candidate on the rest of the Bill of Rights. (Current crop of dems in Congress as a case in point.)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It just occurred to me that you guys will be in the streets every time you cross one, (hopefully at the corners in a crosswalk. :) ). This would be a good excuse for TPTB to force you into a permit or to harass you during the "walk". Something you might want to think about, if you don't want to end up walking around 1 block.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

What you do at home is not under question. I don't believe for a minute that you're afraid to do things in the comfort and security of your own home.

Let's keep it on topic here if possible... We're talking about the OC walk. :yesway:

I see your fear of doing an OC walk; and no, sitting at home is not going to be helpful in any way under the topic of discussion.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    It just occurred to me that you guys will be in the streets every time you cross one, (hopefully at the corners in a crosswalk. :) ). This would be a good excuse for TPTB to force you into a permit or to harass you during the "walk". Something you might want to think about, if you don't want to end up walking around 1 block.

Yep- discussed... we can only hope that the PD is not that hostile as to get so technical...

Top Bottom