Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm unsure whether the 1,000ft rule applies to day cares, but this needs to be verified quickly because of the location of Au Pair Care at location A. If it does apply, then the Circle is not an option. If it doesn't, then the route I've suggested will likely work well (assuming that location "L", "Indianapolis School District" is an office & not an actual K-12 School).

It's been a while since I looked at it and I'm pretty sure that it only applies to K-12 schools. However, one of the exceptions (so long as one is not on school property itself) to the prohibition is if one has a state issued license for the carrying of firearms. Possession of such a license allows one to carry firearms through a "school zone" per Federal law (but not, of course, onto actual school property per Indiana law). Which is one reason a LTCH rule for anyone actually carrying a firearm might be a good idea.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It's been a while since I looked at it and I'm pretty sure that it only applies to K-12 schools. However, one of the exceptions (so long as one is not on school property itself) to the prohibition is if one has a state issued license for the carrying of firearms. Possession of such a license allows one to carry firearms through a "school zone" per Federal law (but not, of course, onto actual school property per Indiana law). Which is one reason a LTCH rule for anyone actually carrying a firearm might be a good idea.

We only have a state issued license to carry handguns. We're not particularly licensed to carry long guns, so I wouldn't be surprised if the federal law still applies. Just one more thing which needs to be determined...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I hadn't realized that Panera Bread was actually IN the mall here. I was thinking it was up by US40/Main St. Please CONCEAL CARRY at this meeting or at the very least put a shirt over it. I don't have a backup meeting spot at my house as my wife and mother threw a hissy fit about having people over here.... :rolleyes: They're moving the house around, every single piece of furniture and decided not to tell me until the last minute. As usual. :xmad: Women....

Unless someone has an alternate place to meet I'm out of ideas. Unless we just don't go somewhere with WiFi.

Also, it's very important that if you can attend this meeting AT ALL please do so. There are some extremely important things that have to be discussed and I need your help. It could mean the go-no-go for this whole thing. SO PLEASE ATTEND IF AT ALL POSSIBLE...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I can't attend but will take time to channel my thoughts and positive energy in the general direction of Plainfield sometime after 5:00.:laugh:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So what happened to the "ban checkpoints" part of the bill?
    Here, remember that this only applies to seat belt checkpoints...not DUI checkpoints.
    IC 9-19-10-3.1
    Stopping, inspecting, or detaining vehicle; checkpoints
    Sec. 3.1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a vehicle may be stopped to determine compliance with this chapter. However, a vehicle, the contents of a vehicle, the driver of a vehicle, or a passenger in a vehicle may not be inspected, searched, or detained solely because of a violation of this chapter.
    (b) A law enforcement agency may not use a safety belt checkpoint to detect and issue a citation for a person's failure to comply with this chapter.
    As added by P.L.214-2007, SEC.8.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    We only have a state issued license to carry handguns. We're not particularly licensed to carry long guns, so I wouldn't be surprised if the federal law still applies. Just one more thing which needs to be determined...

That doesn't matter per the way the law is written. The wording of the law is such that what they want is a license with some form of background check. You don't have to have a license for the particular weapon in question. It was probably worded that way because in some states a CCW (IIUC) is (or was at the time the law was passed) tied to a particular handgun. Somebody might have a CCW for their Glock, but if they wanted to take Grandpa's old "bring back" Luger out to the range and happened to be stopped while driving within 1000 ft of a school....

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Sorry for the late notice, but I have a family emergency that requires my immediate attention. I will be traveling to Anderson and unfortunately not make it to the meeting.

Savage, please keep us updated and I am still in for speaking to the LEO's when the time comes. We can meetup before that if we need to.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Great job guys! Thanks to all who attended! We thought there might be a hang up as far as the march goes, but I think all the legal standings have been worked out. We had a guy there at the meeting tonight who has had some out of state exeriance with an event like this and from our understanding of the laws concerning marches/parades, we will not require a permit for this event. We will be setting up a meeting with IMPD this week to have an initial talk with them. We know we do not require a permit, but we want to work with IMPD on this as much as possible so that they know we are well intentioned and that there will be no problems out of either us or them concerning this walk....

One thing we discussed is that this needs to be refered to as a Walk. Not a March. According to the Indianapolis Code the definition of a Parade is...

"Sec. 411-201. Definitions.
    As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings
    ascribed to them:

Director shall mean the director of the department of public safety.

Parade shall mean any parade, march, ceremony, show, exhibition, pageant or
    procession of any kind, or rallies or demonstrations, or any similar
    display, in or upon any street, park or other outdoor place owned or under
    the control of the city.

Parade permit shall mean the permit required by this article.

It states STREETS PARKS ETC. Later on in the code it exempts the following....

DIVISION 2. PARADE PERMITS

Sec. 411-221. When required.
    (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), no person shall engage in,
    participate in, aid, form or start any parade, unless a parade permit
    therefor has been obtained from the director as provided in this division.
    (b) The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
    (1) Funeral processions;
    (2) Lawful picketing in a labor dispute or orderly processions on the
    sidewalks that do not violate the provisions of this Code or other city
    ordinances;
    (3) A governmental agency acting within the scope of its functions.
    (Code 1975, § 21-32)

Notice the highlighted part. If we keep everyone ON the SIDEWALKS and do not BLOCK sidewalk traffic, we will not need a permit. We are not lawyers, but that seems pretty clear.

There will be no SIGNS, no FLAGS, no CHANTING. According to the Code if we have vehicles included that are to ride WITH us along the route we take, we will not only require a permit, but liability insurance as well....

(b) No parade permit shall be issued unless the applicant therefor shall
    obtain a comprehensive general liability insurance policy, issued by an
    insurance company authorized to do business in the state, with coverage that
    includes the assembly area, the parade route, the disbanding area of the
    parade and any other area used by the participants of the parade. The city
    shall be named as an additional insured on the policy. The policy limits of
    said insurance shall not be less than:
    TABLE INSET:

Property damage $5,000.00 each occurrence
    Bodily injury or death 25,000.00 each person;
    50,000.00 each occurrence

<snip>

(d) The requirements of subsections (b) and (c) of this section shall not
    be applicable to parades composed of pedestrians only and which do not
    include any vehicles or animals. If motor vehicles are to be included,
    evidence of public liability insurance with the same limits on such vehicles
    may be accepted in lieu of the insurance required in subsections (b) and
    (c).

So we can get around THIS part by having support vehicles ON CALL. They can't accompany on us along the route, but we can have them roving around and parking on side streets along the way in case someone gets sick, hurt, or we need water or medical supplies. We don't need people carrying these things with them and we need vehicles that can evac anyone who may need to leave the group. This way we can avoid the permitting process.

This should take care of any legallity questions concerning the permitting process. We will be setting up a meeting with IMPD to confirm all this and inform them of our intentions. There should be NO legal blockades and should have no more issues in this area.

This whole thing was only brought to my attention last night by a friend of a friend who happens to be a lawyer well versed in gun laws and has some experiance with this. One option was to split up into groups, but this was decided to cause too much headache on both us, and the police, should they get multipule calls about men with guns coming for multipule locations. We decided a singluar group would serve as the best route with the least amount of Headache for everyone.

Yes, we did set a date! SEPTEMBER 26th! That is the date for this event! Remember, WALK, not March. :D Gotta pound that into my own head now... :): But the date is set. If there's bad weather an alternate date was discussed for the following weekend in October. I know a lot is going on in October, but the sooner the better.

We decided on the 26th because no one could think of anything special going on that day. Unfortunately we didn't have a laptop with us because the two people that said they could bring one had issues and could not come. I apologize for that. Feel free to beat me with a wet noodle. But the date has been set for a month from now because it gives us ample time to allow people to request off work and, if by some remote chance we are FORCED to get a permit we have time to apply. Maybe. If there will be a permit things will change dramaticlly, but we don't see it happening.

In order to conform to make sure we don't require a permit, a few things MUST be conformed to. Somethings I already mentioned, but I want to drive this home to you all so there are no questions. First, this must remain on the sidewalks. Of course we'll have to cross streets, so we'll have to make sure the group stays together. We cannot BLOCK sidewalk traffic. Even if everyone runs to the other side of the street, we have to make sure that people can still pass by us. No one is to set foot on the streets.

Second, no signs. It may not qualify us for a permit by carrying signs, but I would think carrying rifles and shotguns on our backs is a statement that needs no signs. If was discussed that no FLAGS be carried either. While I don't like not not be able to have a color guard, this will be a question posed to IMPD if we can do so anyway. If not, ok, but I'd REALLY like to have a color guard.

Third, support vehicles. These MUST be roving, on call vehicles. They will carry the food/drink and medical supplies and anything else we'll need that shouldn't be carried. There will be a couple people IN the group with small medical packs that have some experiance, I think even one is an EMT, so that people can be taken care of until the car/van shows up to take them away. There are plenty of hospitals in the area so unless it SERIOUS we won't need ambulance support.

Also, we will need one vehicle scouting the route infront of the group for people who might be trying to cause trouble. It will be their job to inform the contact person in the group and/or police. I don't atticipate problems, but better safe than sorry.

We will meet in a central starting point for the Walk and we will go over safety procedures and making sure everyone is safe and legal.

This means whatever time we decide on at the next meeting, which will be afternoonish, everyone attending will be required to show up 30 minutes early. This way we can make sure everyone is legal (checking LTCH's) and that everyone gets a copy of the rules/laws and talking points should anyone ask questions.

We need:

2 support vehicle drivers. We have one, need two more.
    AT LEAST 4 camera people. 1 back, 1 front, 1 for each side. More is better.
    4 designated spokespeople. These people will be the go-to speakers for interviews.

There will be a second FTF meeting scheduled after the initial meeting with the IMPD to discuss the route farther. It was mentioned, but not settled on.

Also, if you don't want to Open Carry that's okay. You are ALL still encouraged to attend this event. You can be one of the people needed mentioned above if you wish or just come walk with us in silent support. You don't even have to carry if you don't want. Just come out to support us!

Comments? Questions?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So what came of the meeting?

LoL Sorry, my wife is rearranging the house and I was without internet for about an hour and a half. I should be good to go now. I typed all that up while I was waiting. I don't think I forgot anything so if I did please let me know. This whole last post will be updated on my second post of the thread.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    SE...apparently someone thought by suggesting that you tie your peaceful march in with the 1500 and the route I suggested...they feel I was attempting to sabotage the plans. This was not the case.

I merely suggested what I thought was the best way to get the biggest bang for your buck. Several other agreed. But because my intentions were questioned...I'll retract those suggestions and not bother those that apparently know best. My apologies if my suggestion was out of line.

Good luck with your march. :yesway: Be safe and be careful.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SE...apparently someone thought by suggesting that you tie your peaceful march in with the 1500 and the route I suggested...they feel I was attempting to sabotage the plans. This was not the case.

I merely suggested what I thought was the best way to get the biggest bang for your buck. Several other agreed. But because my intentions were questioned...I'll retract those suggestions and not bother those that apparently know best. My apologies if my suggestion was out of line.

Good luck with your march. :yesway:

PS, please understand, I know your intentions were meant well and not about sabotage. You input is highly valued to me, if no one else and would be proud if you would continue on with us. The route is still to be determined but the 1500 is out of the question. It's just too soon. It was a GREAT thought, but logisticlly impossible. There's too much to be done and too little time to do it in especially shooting for a date that soon. (excuse the pun).

I would very much appreciate your input and suggestions and hope that you continue to participate with us.

We are all in this together whether you attend or not. This is for ALL gun owners and the more who answer this call the more successful this will be. Being a public servant, you bring about input that few others can bring and I hope you will still join us or at least participate.

:patriot:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'll be there, with a camera, and prolly a glock 35, does anyone in the Fort Wayne area know SLR-95's well? like well enough to doublecheck 922r compliance?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    PS, please understand, I know your intentions were meant well and not about sabotage. You input is highly valued to me, if no one else and would be proud if you would continue on with us. The route is still to be determined but the 1500 is out of the question. It's just too soon. It was a GREAT thought, but logisticlly impossible. There's too much to be done and too little time to do it in especially shooting for a date that soon. (excuse the pun).

I would very much appreciate your input and suggestions and hope that you continue to participate with us.

We are all in this together whether you attend or not. This is for ALL gun owners and the more who answer this call the more successful this will be. Being a public servant, you bring about input that few others can bring and I hope you will still join us or at least participate.

:patriot:
    I understand the time constraints...you should have thought of this earlier. ;) Take care and best of luck. PM me if YOU need anything.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I understand the time constraints...you should have thought of this earlier. ;) Take care and best of luck. PM me if YOU need anything.

I did think of this earlier. Just on too big of a scale and with too short of a fuse... :p Better late than never I suppose! :D Thanks for your help and just know you are MORE than welcome regardless your views on OC and CC. After reading the other thread I understand now. You're still welcome here and thanks in advance for any help you can be!

:patriot::ingo:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    SE,
    I WILL be at the "walk", and possibly at the next meeting if able. I can bring a set of two-way radios for use on the route.
    I can understand the desire to keep this purely about RKBA, but I would PERSONALLY like to see an American flag with us!
    Public Servant, whoever decided your suggestions were attempted sabotage must be a troll! Your posts alone, taken in context, reveal you to be an intelligent and honorable individual. Please don't take offense at the ramblings of unknowns. It's beneath you to entertain their complaints.
    Thank you for your service!

Top Bottom