Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Gotcha. They've changed that law so many times and proposed so many changes they're just TRYING to make us all criminals! (I'd laugh if it weren't true)

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I've got one minivan. Think we can stuff 50 people, and firearms, in a Pontiac Transport?

I have an explorer we can use. I would seat 5 (including driver) with lots of stuff or 7 with a little bit of stuff.

I thought there was special provisions for this. I'll have to check the laws over again.

No sling, but I do have someone willing to help me set up a meeting with the PD. I'll make sure to bring one other person along to help me out with the discussions.

Any takers?

I'd be willing to do this.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    What about communicating with the head of local law enforcement(chief of police?) about what when and where so it isn't a big surprise to LEO's on duty at the time. Do you think this would be a gesture of good relations with law enforcement for the event?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What about communicating with the head of local law enforcement(chief of police?) about what when and where so it isn't a big surprise to LEO's on duty at the time. Do you think this would be a gesture of good relations with law enforcement for the event?

I suppose I should update the OP with more than just names...

I've already spoken with someone who can help me arrange a meeting with the very people who handle the "Events" part of the department. We'll be discussing anything we need to handle before during and after the march. So far I have one volunteer to come with me. :D

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I will be there if I don't have to work and if I'm not doing the hokey pokey at a wedding reception or something. I will have my S&W 629 in a shoulder holster, not sure about which long gun.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    REAL Men Do NOT TWEET

Easy there, killer. Remember, "Real Men" adapt. To new surroundings, circumstances, technology, etc.

As a computer science student, it's right up my alley, and I've made some good networking contacts related to various fields. My Twitter

If we're going to do anything with Twitter for the event, we should agree on a #hashtag for it. (What's a hashtag? Click here.) I'd suggest something like #INGO, #INGOMarch, or #GunMarch. Also, including the #Indy hashtag will increase the visibility of our effort to another demographic.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Tweet via SMS; Legal to ride in truck beds

And as for the twitter thing on phones. my phone could do it, but I do'nt get online on my phone cause I'm cheap like that, lol. texting or calls work for me, but no online.

You can associate your phone number with your Twitter account and then update your status by sending a text to 40404. So if you have texting on your plan, that wouldn't incur any additional charges.

Is it illegal to carry people in the back of trucks?
    I believe it is NOT illegal. I've been stopped while people were in the truck bed and was not cited for it. (We were in a parking lot teaching some girls how to drive a standard transmission, but the cops received a call of people "doing donuts" in the parking lot.)
    Additionally, this website seems to indicate that it is legal to have passengers in the truck bed in the State of Indiana. For good measure, here's another link that confirms my belief.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Nope, they amended the seat belt law and erased the truck plate exceptions. It used to be that if a vehicle was plated as a truck, they did not have to wear a seat belt. That is no longer the case.
    IC 9-19-10-1
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to an occupant of a motor vehicle who meets any of the following conditions:
    (8) Is an occupant of a motor vehicle participating in a parade.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.67-2004, SEC.2; P.L.214-2007, SEC.6.
    IC 9-19-10-2
    Use of safety belt by motor vehicle occupants; safety belt standards
    Sec. 2. Each occupant of a motor vehicle equipped with a safety belt that:
    (1) ...; and
    (2) is standard equipment installed by the manufacturer;
    shall have a safety belt properly fastened about the occupant's body at all times when the vehicle is in forward motion.

First, one might be able to make the argument that we would be a "parade", and thus exempted from the restriction. But, I am not a lawyer!

Second, according to the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, a specific ban of riding in the bed of a truck is not in that bill. (Source: Indiana Law Blog.)

I am unaware of any more recent changes than those represented on that page. That does not mean that changes have not occurred, just that I didn't find them in my searches.

I did find that the City of Lafayette, IN stated on 22 APR 08 on their website that it is NOT illegal for persons of at least 16 years of age to ride in a truck bed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Being a parade would make us have to apply for a permit. I would like to avoid that because you can rest assured they would never PERMIT us to exercise our rights given the chance.

We could always use this as a last ditch effort if SHTF though. I believe you're right. It doesn't specificlly say anything about riding in a truck bed. I do believe that might just be one seat belt ticket I would fight... out of the 15-16 I have recieved...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    It is illegal to ride in the bed of a pickup truck in the state of Indiana. It carries a $25.00 fine for each occupant not properly belted in.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    First, one might be able to make the argument that we would be a "parade", and thus exempted from the restriction. But, I am not a lawyer!

Second, according to the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, a specific ban of riding in the bed of a truck is not in that bill. (Source: Indiana Law Blog.)

I am unaware of any more recent changes than those represented on that page. That does not mean that changes have not occurred, just that I didn't find them in my searches.

I did find that the City of Lafayette, IN stated on 22 APR 08 on their website that it is NOT illegal for persons of at least 16 years of age to ride in a truck bed.
    Sure the wording is not there...is used to be. The law used to say that vehicles plates as trucks were exempt from the seatbelt laws. The legislature removed the exemption with the agreement that they would ban seatbelt checkpoints. That was the give and take. The legislature said that they would remove the truck exemption if they could ban the seatbelt checkpoints. That is how the revised law passed.
    Terre Haute News, Terre Haute, Indiana- TribStar.com - New Indiana seat-belt laws will affect nearly all passengers on Hoosier roads

This is where the current law came from: Amendments to House Enrolled Act 1237
    Enrolled Act, House Bill 1237

Last edited:
    Top Bottom