Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    4sarge, Henktermaat

Both of you have very good points. There may be a couple meetings on the route, but the date will be set. If there is two marches that will be one of the main topics as well.

Lots of things to discuss, little time to do it.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I think we should get a date set by the 1500, So we can use it as launching platform to get people to come.

Edit: Oh and here is an updated version of the Flier. More I'm a bit of a loss as to what info to include on it.

3842035411_71dc726f3f_b.jpg

OK, a few comments on this flyer, just in case anyone is taking this seriously. If not, ignore me :):

What is the purpose of the flyer? where will it be distributed? Are you looking for participants or just a general notice for the public? With your purpose nailed down, you can better tailor it to meed that purpose.

1) It's hard to read. A suggestion would be to replace the font with a readable one (at least for the details)
    2) Not enough contrast. The text is barely darker than the background. Hard to Read.
    3) it needs a big, bold headline, something people can read from 100 feet away. Again, high contrast. Something needs to bring them in or slow them down for a closer look. This would be a headline or an image. I don't suggest a large image of a gun though.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I do like the background layout. Maybe make the guns a little less of a transparent watermark? The font definately needs changed though. IMHO of course. I'm not much of a flier designer, but if you remember me from the Indy 1500, I can sure hand them out! :):

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So I have some suggestions throw at me that I feel we need to address here in the thread.

First, signs.

Nothing anti-obama. If this will be downtown Indy, figure a lot of obama supporters to be along the route regardless of what route we take. We aren't trying to stir up trouble and no matter what our personal feelings are, we are going to be out there to awaken and embolden gun owners and non-gun owners alike. This is an educational march more than a protest. Never forget that.

Second. Vehicle support, logistics, and transportation.

It was suggested that we have some sort of vehicle support for the group. One to scout the area ahead, and one to carry water, food, medical supplies (preferably an EMS person or someone who knows basic medical training like CPR etc) and if for some reason we run into anti-gun protesters that are unruley, an escape "route" to get everyone out of there before things get out of hand. I figured on carrying my Camelback for water, but having a support team in vehicles is a better idea. It's something I hadn't considered and glad it was brought to my attention.

Third. transportation for the group.

We could use anyone that can get access to some sort of old bus or church bus or people with minivans standing by. Something that can transport everyone in back to where we parked or to dinner or what have you. IF, and I say IF we come from the 1500, no one's going to want to walk all the way back to their cars or to whereever we plan to eat diner is.

Fourth. A place to eat.

We need to find a diner willing to accomodate us. I'm sure if they know that we'd be spending money they'll welcome us armed or not. It may be a tedious search, but it's something we need help with. I know of no places like this.

Fifth. Pace of the the march.

It would be best to keep the slower people in the front so as to not let the group get seperated. It's nothing against anyone, it's just logistics.

Sixth. crowd control.

We need our coolest headed people in front and back. Prefeably spokespeople prepared to handle hostile questions, etc. If the crowd is large enough, in the middle too.

Seventh. Communications.

I have two Midland LXT-300 2 way radios. More would be helpful. Also, we need to make sure most people have their cellphones incase of interferance. A list of everyone and their numbers should be given to everyone with a cellphone. Communication will be key.

If there's anything else needing attention please let me know.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Seventh. Communications.

I have two Midland LXT-300 2 way radios. More would be helpful. Also, we need to make sure most people have their cellphones incase of interferance. A list of everyone and their numbers should be given to everyone with a cellphone. Communication will be key.

Twitter?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Twitter updates are good. Didn't think of that.

But I meant between members of the march and the support vehicles etc etc.

Besides, not everyone has fancy'ed up phones that get on the net.... I.E. My Tracphone... Which needs minutes... :laugh:

Last edited:

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I'm Loving the Input on the Flier guys, I think its getting better thanks to everyone's help step by step through the process

So Here's the newest version

3842755991_b7c439d19f_b.jpg

And :+1: to ATF Consumer for offering to print these up en masse once they are done.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    So is this a protest march or an educational march as you called it? The reason I ask is the inclusion of the Gadsden flag. I don't oppose that flag, but it has been used in the Tea Parties and other times in American history as a symbol of protest against the US government. I'm just saying...

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've got 2 kenwood 2 mile range radios, and 2 Midland 30 mile range radios.

And as for the twitter thing on phones. my phone could do it, but I do'nt get online on my phone cause I'm cheap like that, lol. texting or calls work for me, but no online.

Is it illegal to carry people in the back of trucks? What about if the truck has a topper? Just in case people don't have enough vans and whatnot. Plus people could fill up the back of a truck quicker than file into a van.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Looks much beter. I wonder if there's room to fit in "This is YOUR right" or something. Just a thought. Again, i'm not a flier designer.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So is this a protest march or an educational march as you called it? The reason I ask is the inclusion of the Gadsden flag. I don't oppose that flag, but it has been used in the Tea Parties and other times in American history as a symbol of protest against the US government. I'm just saying...

I understand your concern, but it's both a protest, but more education. In my mind the Gadsden Flag is a fitting symbol and sends a strong message that coincides with the Tea Parties.

I've got 2 kenwood 2 mile range radios, and 2 Midland 30 mile range radios.

And as for the twitter thing on phones. my phone could do it, but I do'nt get online on my phone cause I'm cheap like that, lol. texting or calls work for me, but no online.

Is it illegal to carry people in the back of trucks? What about if the truck has a topper? Just in case people don't have enough vans and whatnot. Plus people could fill up the back of a truck quicker than file into a van.

Bring the radios, we'll need em.

People in the back of trucks, TO MY KNOWLEDGE, is ok if 1) you drive slow (like 25 mph with flashers on) and 2) no one is doing anything unsafe like sitting on the ledge, standing up, jumping, mooning passing cars, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Ok cool, I'll see about borrowing dad's ext cab F250 with topper so if needed we can transport some extra people back easily. If not it, then I'll prob be driving a ranger anyways.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm not sure about the laws on this, especially in Indy. This is something we'll need to have researched. It's a good idea though.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm not sure about the laws on this, especially in Indy. This is something we'll need to have researched. It's a good idea though.
    Seatbelt laws govern ALL vehicles except RV's. DO NOT load a pick-up bed with people downtown unless you are really want to catch the attention on one of our traffic units. They LOVE to write seat belt tickets and they will write every person not wearing a seatbelt. Next week, traffic is the first of us to get the computerized tickets machines in their cars so they will want to break them in right. ;)

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Does anyone have a sling I could use. I plan on carrying a 10 gauge BPS Stalker.

Also I think we should stick to calling it an educational march instead of a protest. I really could see law enforcement trying to say we need a permit to protest.

Last thing, has anyone actually got ahold of PD just to get there take on it. I know you wanted to wait until it was closer to the time, but I could see them trying to make you jump a couple of hoops first.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Seatbelt laws govern ALL vehicles except RV's. DO NOT load a pick-up bed with people downtown unless you are really want to catch the attention on one of our traffic units. They LOVE to write seat belt tickets and they will write every person not wearing a seatbelt. Next week, traffic is the first of us to get the computerized tickets machines in their cars so they will want to break them in right. ;)

I thought there was special provisions for this. I'll have to check the laws over again.

Does anyone have a sling I could use. I plan on carrying a 10 gauge BPS Stalker.

Also I think we should stick to calling it an educational march instead of a protest. I really could see law enforcement trying to say we need a permit to protest.

Last thing, has anyone actually got ahold of PD just to get there take on it. I know you wanted to wait until it was closer to the time, but I could see them trying to make you jump a couple of hoops first.

No sling, but I do have someone willing to help me set up a meeting with the PD. I'll make sure to bring one other person along to help me out with the discussions.

Any takers?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I thought there was special provisions for this. I'll have to check the laws over again.

No sling, but I do have someone willing to help me set up a meeting with the PD. I'll make sure to bring one other person along to help me out with the discussions.

Any takers?
    Nope, they amended the seat belt law and erased the truck plate exceptions. It used to be that if a vehicle was plated as a truck, they did not have to wear a seat belt. That is no longer the case.
    IC 9-19-10-1
    Application of chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to an occupant of a motor vehicle who meets any of the following conditions:
    (1) For medical reasons should not wear safety belts, provided the occupant has written documentation of the medical reasons from a physician.
    (2) Is a child required to be restrained by a child restraint system under IC 9-19-11.
    (3) Is traveling in a commercial or a United States Postal Service vehicle that makes frequent stops for the purpose of pickup or delivery of goods or services.
    (4) Is a rural carrier of the United States Postal Service and is operating a vehicle while serving a rural postal route.
    (5) Is a newspaper motor route carrier or newspaper bundle hauler who stops to make deliveries from a vehicle.
    (6) Is a driver examiner designated and appointed under IC 9-14-2-3 and is conducting an examination of an applicant for a permit or license under IC 9-24-10.
    (7) Is an occupant of a farm truck being used on a farm in connection with agricultural pursuits that are usual and normal to the farming operation, as set forth in IC 9-29-5-13(b)(2).
    (8) Is an occupant of a motor vehicle participating in a parade.
    (9) Is an occupant of the living quarters area of a recreational vehicle.
    (10) Is an occupant of the treatment area of an ambulance (as defined in IC 16-18-2-13).
    (11) Is an occupant of the sleeping area of a tractor.
    (12) Is an occupant other than the operator of a vehicle described in IC 9-20-11-1(1).
    (13) Is an occupant other than the operator of a truck on a construction site.
    (14) Is a passenger other than the operator in a cab of a Class A recovery vehicle or a Class B recovery vehicle who is being transported in the cab because the motor vehicle of the passenger is being towed by the recovery vehicle.
    (15) Is an occupant other than the operator of a motor vehicle being used by a public utility in an emergency as set forth in IC 9-20-6-5.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.67-2004, SEC.2; P.L.214-2007, SEC.6.
    IC 9-19-10-2
    Use of safety belt by motor vehicle occupants; safety belt standards
    Sec. 2. Each occupant of a motor vehicle equipped with a safety belt that:
    (1) meets the standards stated in the Federal Motor Vehicle
    Safety Standard Number 208 (49 CFR 571.208); and
    (2) is standard equipment installed by the manufacturer;
    shall have a safety belt properly fastened about the occupant's body at all times when the vehicle is in forward motion.

Top Bottom