• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just released: screen cap of security cam footage.

hamburgler.jpg

mcdonalds-1.jpg

police-officers-guarding-mcdonald-s-22724676.jpg

Last edited:

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Everyone defending the cop for going into a hot call for a man with a long rifle.Thats what I did every time I got called into a scene. Walked in and yelled who has the AR in here...get real...

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    Growing up in Vincennes, you didn't get any odd balls calling LE on you. Local sporting goods store, Van Meter's, was on Main Street and used to be the only place in town to buy a gun, of any type, for a number of years. Walking to and from the store and carrying, wasn't a big deal. I used to walk several miles, to a friend's farm, with a .22 magnum slung on my shoulder and nobody thought a thing of it. OC shouldn't have been a problem, but these guys definitely were pushing, taking a rifle inside. I also agree that LEO overreacted, which seems to be par for the course for VPD, these days. Common sense seemed to be absent from all involved.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder why these "activists" feel that disrupting a private businesses sales is any sort of a winning idea for the cause?
    If they really wanted to advance their beliefs through seeking attention, they should sling up and head right to the post office. Quit fooling around trying to be an Internet hero :rolleyes: and put your money where your mouth is.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So a police officer is the final arbiter of what is legal and what is not? Truthful or not this thread poses questions that should make us all very uncomfortable. I guess for most of :ingo: if I am sitting in McDonald's minding my own business and doing nothing unlawful it is perfectly alright for a police officer to draw his weapon and aim it at me? He has crossed the deadly force threshold without any provocation at all and that is just dandy with you folks?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    After much thought, and reading through this thread twice, I have formed some conclusions.

1. It is unnecessary and unwise to carry a long gun into a public restaurant. The long gun can be safely left in the vehicle by parking in an area where one can view the vehicle while dining. It will require proper seat selection, of course. Given the current public fear, both of mad men going ape or postal and terrorist attacks, the long gun is going to create a sensation. Even I, who strongly support the RKBA, look very, very carefully at anyone I see entering an establishment with a long gun. I will evaluate the threat carefully. Thus far, I have always been able to discern the OCer was peaceful. But if I, who am used to firearms and supportive of the RKBA go immediately to alert level orange when I see a long gun, what can I expect from a soccer mom? MWAG call is going to be made. Like it or not, it is reality. So, leave the long gun in the vehicle.

2. OCing a handgun is acceptable, but requires vigilance and good manners. I have been openly rebuked for OCing in a KFC. A young father chastised me for scaring his kids and ruining their family meal when my sons and I entered while OCing. While our behavior was clearly peaceful, and my wife and daughter-in-law were with us, the kids were frightened; and probably the man's wife was frightened, too. If the man had waited a bit to discuss it, I would have gladly bought him a piece of pie and a cup of coffee so we could discuss it; but he ran out the door without giving me a chance to reply. There is a thread on INGO about that event. So, even good manners will not always ease the mind of the sheep. But it is wise for us to behave well when we carry. It is also wise for OCers to be ready to enter into calm conversation when folks are frightened.

3. I prefer, and recommend, CC. My right to RKBA is maintained. Soccer moms are undisturbed. MWAG calls will not occur. Dads who have not trained their families will not interrupt one's meal. Weapon remains secure, not left in the vehicle. I remain armed and vigilant.

I recall that even in the Old West the cowboys were eventually required to check their guns when they entered town—even their handguns! This was especially important for those cowpokes who crossed the tracks to the "good" side of town. Over on the seedy side, guns were kept close to hand, and were often needed when sudden emergency exits had to be made. But when the boys crossed the tracks, the guns were checked or Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp put a knot on their head and tossed them in the jail for the night.

There is a story told about Wyatt Earp in his later years in southern California. I can't remember the source, but it went something like this.

Wyatt Earp had been asked to referee a prize fight, I think in the LA area. The crowd was the usual rowdy bunch, and the liquor was flowing freely. The fighters entered the ring and were announced, to the usual crowd responses, all supporting their favorite and belittling their opponent. At the proper time Earp was announced as the referee and he entered the ring, still wearing his topcoat, or suit coat. He was greeted with applause and respect, and he waved to the crowd to acknowledge their good will. As the fighters met at the ring for last instructions, Earp removed his coat and handed it to a friend outside the ring. As he made his way to the center of the ring to meet with the fighters, the crowd noticed he was carrying a revolver. I do not know where it was carried, but I assume it to have been on the hip or cross draw, where it was covered by his coat. A roar of approval went up from the crowd and a big round of applause was given. Earp is said to have blushed when he realized what caused the uproar. He immediately removed the gun and gave it to his friend who was holding his coat. (I bet someone got swept when he did that, too!) Apparently, the fight went on without incident and Earp had no need for his shootin' iron that night.

Apocryphal? Maybe. OK, probably. But it still illustrates a point. Even the known gunfighters were wise enough to conceal carry in public as the Old West vanished into history. Even the wild ones checked their guns when they crossed the tracks, or when appropriate. What we are being asked to do, i.e. CC and leave the long guns in the car, is not an unreasonable concession to polite society. No one questions the right to carry a long gun on the way to the range, but we really do not need to take it to dinner with us. Even the owner of an LGS has publicly thanked me for carrying my 10/22 into the shop with the lock installed. He called to me from across the room to thank me, saying he appreciated the concern for safety and the way it reassured his customers.

Therefore, I suggest leaving the long gun in the vehicle. It is just being neighborly. :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Stop carrying the long guns in public and this stuff won't happen.

Carrying a sidearm openly in public will sometimes get you some attention.
    Strapping on a long gun is asking for trouble every ****ing time you do it so why press the issue. It will always end poorly so please.....stop acting like an attention whore. It only casts a dim light on us all.
    WTF are you guy's trying to prove...that you have a nice long gun. Not the time or place for that.
    I have some seriously nice long guns but will never strap one on to the eat at a McD's.
    Just stupid.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Carrying a sidearm openly in public will sometimes get you some attention.
    Strapping on a long gun is asking for trouble every ****ing time you do it so why press the issue. It will always end poorly so please.....stop acting like an attention whore. It only casts a dim light on us all.
    WTF are you guy's trying to prove...that you have a nice long gun. Not the time or place for that.
    I have some seriously nice long guns but will never strap one on to the eat at a McD's.
    Just stupid.

If the soccer moms are scared of it, the police are scared of it, and gunowners don't approve, we can go ala California and just make it illegal. What's the use of keeping it legal if it's something you can do but nobody thinks you should?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the soccer moms are scared of it, the police are scared of it, and gunowners don't approve, we can go ala California and just make it illegal. What's the use of keeping it legal if it's something you can do but nobody thinks you should?

There is a time and place for most everything....this included.
    I agree with your point/opinion. I also wonder why the need to sport a long gun amongst the sheeple. You know what is going to happen, you know of the currant climate amongst the sheeple. Right wrong or indifferent why push it. Really, why.....:dunno:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There is a time and place for most everything....this included.
    I agree with your point/opinion. I also wonder why the need to sport a long gun amongst the sheeple. You know what is going to happen, you know of the currant climate amongst the sheeple. Right wrong or indifferent why push it. Really, why.....:dunno:

Before I cause an uproar I was just being a little facetious, I wouldn't want to copy anything CA does. In fact you're probably better off doing the exact opposite of anything CA does!

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN

If the asshats keep OC'ing long guns there is a real chance California will not be the only state to outlaw OC. Read my sig line.

Top Bottom