• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You understand there's a wide gulf between assuming "you are looking to commit mass murder" and just checking the situation out, right?

Honestly, some of you act like talking to a policeman is akin to being sent to the ovens.

So, since cars kill more people, I can call in a Man With A Car, and the police will have to check it out?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    You understand there's a wide gulf between assuming "you are looking to commit mass murder" and just checking the situation out, right?

Honestly, some of you act like talking to a policeman is akin to being sent to the ovens.
    And you understand that prohibition of a legal act by LE is unacceptable, right?

You understand that in the absence of belief that the individual carrying the firearm is about to commit a crime, is committing a crime (in the case where carrying the rifle is itself illegal), or has committed a crime, we shouldn't have to talk to police, right?

You understand that your argument of "just checking the situation out" is completely shot to hell, no pun intended, by the actions of LE in California who killed a kid, right? Is that the definition of "just checking it out" you are using?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I do not believe the actions as described in the OP to be akin to simply "talking to a policeman"

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I do not believe the actions as described in the OP to be akin to simply "talking to a policeman"

The police were conducting an investigation subsequent to a 911 call, because given the circumstances...a person carrying a long gun is uncharacteristic of most patrons.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    An action that could, depending on the totality of the circumstances, receive a similar police response.
    Oh, so now totality of circumstances is acceptable. Funny thing, it doesn't seem to me that the LE response as described in the OP (and even I will take that with a grain of salt) took the totality of circumstances into account when they went barging in screaming like banshees.

Because a stop and question is not a prohibition
    1. Where's the reasonable suspicion of a crime? With or without a totality of circumstances.

2. You are confused. It is not the police who are being prohibited from a legal act. It is the citizen who carries a long gun.

Terry stop has got nothing to do with this without a stretch that would make Gumby jealous.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Oh, so now totality of circumstances is acceptable. Funny thing, it doesn't seem to me that the LE response as described in the OP (and even I will take that with a grain of salt) took the totality of circumstances into account when they went barging in screaming like banshees.

1. Where's the reasonable suspicion of a crime? With or without a totality of circumstances.

2. You are confused. It is not the police who are being prohibited from a legal act. It is the citizen who carries a long gun.

Terry stop has got nothing to do with this without a stretch that would make Gumby jealous.

How is the citizen being prohibited?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Hey guys. Thought I would let you all know that the McDonald's located on Sixth Street in Vincennes is not a supporter of the second amendment and neither is the Vincennes police department. Went to lunch yesterday with my roommates, me carrying a Glock 19 OWB, one of them carrying an XDM 45 OWB and the other carrying a long rifle (begin the trolling). No awkward looks at of any kind and we sat down and began eating. About fifteen minutes later when we were all finishing up we notice two officers pull up outside on either side of the restaurant. One retrieves a shotgun, the other an AR from his trunk. We watch them both peer through the windows, looking for threats and coming up empty. They enter at the same time, weapons at the low ready scanning for threats, still coming up empty. I greet the officer and ask him how he is doing and he shouts, "Who here has an AR?" My roommate chimes in, "I do sir," and all hell breaks loose.

One officer draws down on us as the other rushes up behind my friend, who is sitting down, and jerks his sling up around his neck while saying "What the **** are you doing?" The officer who removed the weapon, later found out to be a major, then disarms my roommate. The other officer is yelling commands for us to stand up and leave the restaurant, saying it is a lawful order and we must obey it or be arrested. After they realized that wasn't going to work, the major walks up in front of the sales counter, holds the rifle in the air and shouts, "Do you want him in here with this damn rifle!?" At which point someone I assume to be the manager, with a terrified look, shakes her head no. Obviously at this time we chose to step outside. Once outside, four more officers show up out of nowhere and begin demanding state ID. Being that I was carrying a handgun I gave them my LTCH though they continued to press for a DL and threatened me with arrest if I didn't present one. My roommates decided to give their DLs. After running all the information they began to tell us how we would never meet a group of guys who were more pro-second amendment than them, all the while attempting to push their beliefs that open carry is wrong. I had recorded the entire thing, up until they gave us our documents back, sadly at that point in time the camera crashed and did not save any of the video.

A couple notes, my roommate that was carrying the XDm, nor myself were ever disarmed, which I applaud them for. I would also like to thank the man sitting behind us that was saying something along the lines of, "It's legal for him to carry that rifle."

The police were conducting an investigation subsequent to a 911 call, because given the circumstances...a person carrying a long gun is uncharacteristic of most patrons.

Because a stop and question is not a prohibition
    OIC. So the description of the actions of the LEOs as described in the OP that I referred to are classified as "conducting an investigation" or "stop and questioning" or even "talking to a policeman"?

Top Bottom