• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    When did they tell him he couldn't carry it in public?
    Every time someone walks down the street with a long gun and gets accosted by LE for doing so, it's a de facto prohibition because it has the effect of making people decide run-ins with irrational power-trippers isn't worth the exercise of one's rights.

You're right. In the OP's example, they weren't prohibited in the absolute. But a policy that results in nobody doing it for fear of police reaction is a prohibition none the less.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    How about Man with a hammer? Or Man with a bat? Seems more people are bludgeoned to death each year than shot with rifles.
    FBI: More People Killed with Hammers, Clubs Each Year than Rifles

Is it about noon? Is he wearing the hammer on a tool belt? Is he wearing a shirt that identifies himself as a contractor, maybe with a group of others who OC hammers, then it probably wouldn't be out of place.

1 lone guy with a hammer in his hand in mcdonalds would be out of place

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Oh, so now totality of circumstances is acceptable. Funny thing, it doesn't seem to me that the LE response as described in the OP (and even I will take that with a grain of salt) took the totality of circumstances into account when they went barging in screaming like banshees.

1. Where's the reasonable suspicion of a crime? With or without a totality of circumstances.
    No answer for these?

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Every time someone walks down the street with a long gun and gets accosted by LE for doing so, it's a de facto prohibition because it has the effect of making people decide run-ins with irrational power-trippers isn't worth the exercise of one's rights.

You're right. In the OP's example, they weren't prohibited in the absolute. But a policy that results in nobody doing it for fear of police reaction is a prohibition none the less.

Investigating a 911 call about a MWAG in McDonalds is not a power trip, it's part of their job.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Is it about noon? Is he wearing the hammer on a tool belt? Is he wearing a shirt that identifies himself as a contractor, maybe with a group of others who OC hammers, then it probably wouldn't be out of place.

1 lone guy with a hammer in his hand in mcdonalds would be out of place
    And out of place is sufficient on its own for a stop and frisk? Holy Hell, I'm never eating in a mixed demographic neighborhood again.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Investigating a 911 call about a MWAG in McDonalds is not a power trip, it's part of their job.
    Barging in and screaming "Who's got the AR?" and waving it around like a lunatic while yelling at the manager "You don't want them in here with this, do you?" is not power-tripping? Okay. Would you settle for asinine? Irrational? Can you at least acknowledge it was unprofessional?

In this case, it was the 911 call.
    The 9-1-1 call what?

That is not an answer to my questions.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    For a MWAG call, why would the police assume the person with the gun is a criminal? It is not a crime to have the gun. There is report of the person doing anything criminal while in possession of the gun. Help us understand why then the police treat the MWAG like a criminal.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I do not believe the actions as described in the OP to be akin to simply "talking to a policeman"

So you would agree that police coming to the McDonalds and just talking to the the guy and trying to assess the situation would be appropriate?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I missed the story where the furry killed 21 people and wounded another 19 in a McDonalds.

So it would be okay for a Furry to carry a long gun into McD's. Well, it's not my cup of tea, but if that's what it takes to make sure the totality of circumstances don't lead LE to believe that I'm a criminal just by looking at me.....

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

^This^ right here. Don't think for a minute the way that some police conduct these types of "investigations" aren't meant to be done intentionally in such an unpleasent ("unprofessional") manner as possible to act as a deterrent to discourage someone from doing something legally, like carrying a long gun or OC'ing a handgun.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So you would agree that police coming to the McDonalds and just talking to the the guy and trying to assess the situation would be appropriate?
    Your post that I was responding to was over simplifying the situation as described in the OP as simply "talking to a policeman" and you characterized the reaction as "some of us are acting like talking to a policeman is akin to being sent to the ovens"

Two very different scenarios.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    OP if your friend was truly sitting down and eating and got choked by the officer with the sling, he should be pressing charges.
    Eh, it's not like he actually choked him, just pulled the sling up, it caught on his neck and brought him upward with it.

Top Bottom