• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    To me, carrying an AR (or insert long gun of your choice) in public "just because you can", is tantamount to getting a tattoo on your face and wearing those "stretcher" earrings... Both are legal, but both may have unintended consequences. The AR is going to (probably) draw negative and unwanted attention from the police, and the face tat and your ear lobes flopping around like ears on a basset hound when you're 40 and looking for a job is probably going to get a negative reaction from a potential employer (unless you're applying for a job in a tattoo/piercing parlor). :dunno:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Can you think of any rights that were taken away BECAUSE they were used? I can't.
    Open carry in CA. Yes, is was legal to OC a pistol IF it wasn't loaded, mag was loaded but not inserted into the pistol. So, the gun rights activists started holding OC events to "educate" the public. What they got was a law that made it illegal.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It is a pipe dream to believe the general public can be "normalized" regarding OCing these "EVIL ASSAULT WEAPONS". It ain't gonna happen. All it is going to accomplish is pushing "fence sitters" farther away from the gun rights cause.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Open carry in CA. Yes, is was legal to OC a pistol IF it wasn't loaded, mag was loaded but not inserted into the pistol. So, the gun rights activists started holding OC events to "educate" the public. What they got was a law that made it illegal.

I hate it when people use this argument against OC. This was pretty much the ONLY legal way to be somewhat armed in CA since the CC permit there is like hen's teeth. The liberals would have banned it long ago if they knew it was legal.

It is a pipe dream to believe the general public can be "normalized" regarding OCing these "EVIL ASSAULT WEAPONS". It ain't gonna happen. All it is going to accomplish is pushing "fence sitters" farther away from the gun rights cause.

Rather than say "normalize" or to argue it will push someone away lets all agree first that we, as responsible members of society with some amount of common sense SHOULD NOT WANT to carry a freaking rifle inside of a restaurant.

Do you (not you, Denny but anyone contemplating carrying a rifle inside an occupied building) REALLY think you are going to use it in there and for what situation do you see yourself lighting someone up with 5.56 rounds in the middle of a restaurant which itself is in the middle of a city. What the hell is your backstop?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think it is also likely to force the state legislature to address the issue. Which I assume, none of us would want to see.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I think it is also likely to force the state legislature to address the issue. Which I assume, none of us would want to see.

When we start believing we are at the mercy of government instead of them being at the mercy of us we are all screwed. Even if there are idiots out there doing things that people don't like it is still our responsibility to make sure government does not stick its nose where it does not belong.

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    I conceal carry but I wouldn't want to be in a restaurant eating with my family while someone is eating also with an ar/ak.. ... just brings to much unwanted attention. ..

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Me, reading the OP:

P0koE0T.gif

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So based on this, I can assume that you also OC a fire extinguisher as well? Fires are pretty random, hurt tons of people, and destory lots of property. The odds of you needing a fire extinguisher to protect life/property are much greater than the odds you needing a firearm in a particular instance.

-I'd like to take credit for the analogy but I'd seen it a while back

+1 :yesway:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When we start believing we are at the mercy of government instead of them being at the mercy of us we are all screwed. Even if there are idiots out there doing things that people don't like it is still our responsibility to make sure government does not stick its nose where it does not belong.
    At the mercy of government? The government would be doing the wishes of their constituents. Do you really think you could get more than a couple of hundred people on the internet upset about the state passing a law on OCing ARs?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Yes I do, McD's is private property and they have the ability to ask you to leave. Long guns do not belong inside of buildings, even the samurai and cowboys were smart enough to figure that one out.

I agree that they have the ability to ask you to leave. Up to that point though, what makes it NOT my right? You can carry your AK in my house all you want, it's your right. When I ask you to leave, I have exercised MY private property rights. You still have the right to carry the AK, I am just asking you to not exercise it in my house. Big difference. You, of all people, should know this one, TF.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Problem is worse than that. We can't even do it.

No. I don't see how allowing a legal act to be prohibited by LE is common sense

I would think that as intelligent as I find you to be you would see I do not support or condone the police action in this. Just that a wise move would be to leave the long gun in the vehicle or not take it at all.

I bought a pistol first and then a series of long guns. For what I consider rational thought and decision making I/we would not carry a long gun into any public place unless we were planning on doing some harm for "Good" reason.

I will repeat my earlier statement....
    Is this a legal action...yes
    Is it defensible in court...yes
    Is it a wise thing to do in today's world...No it is not.

I would be 1st to line up in defense of this mans rights to do this. My entire group would be there as well.
    None of us would do this for rational reasons. This should not be to confusing.

I am pleased to see the argument has maintained a civil tone through the night as it should have.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

I would venture to say CA had no right to carry a handgun in the first place. If it isn't unrestricted, and you need permission to do so, it is no longer a right. They had the ABILITY to carry a handgun openly, as long as conditions were met. They met those conditions and state legislator took away their ability to LEGALLY open carry. Sheeple were all up in arms.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would venture to say CA had no right to carry a handgun in the first place. If it isn't unrestricted, and you need permission to do so, it is no longer a right. They had the ABILITY to carry a handgun openly, as long as conditions were met. They met those conditions and state legislator took away their ability to LEGALLY open carry. Sheeple were all up in arms.

Like it or not since we allowed our society to go full on PC we are at the mercy of the sheeple.

I do not like it but what can be done. They (sheeple) found a way to empower their group over those who stand tall and live life.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If for whatever reason you don't exercise your rights, two things happen: 1) you make it easier for people to legislate them away because, hey... nobody exercises them anyway, and 2) you won't miss them when they're gone.

Exercising your rights when they do not necessarily need to be exercised draws unneeded attention . If I have to chose between not exercising my rights or drawing unneeded attention to decide the fate of my rights I will choose the lesser of the two.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Like it or not since we allowed our society to go full on PC we are at the mercy of the sheeple.

I do not like it but what can be done. They (sheeple) found a way to empower their group over those who stand tall and live life.
    And we need to stand to find a way to get gun owners to stand together. Our voice matters just as much as their voice, but we can't even band together.

Exercising your rights when they do not necessarily need to be exercised draws unneeded attention . If I have to chose between not exercising my rights or drawing unneeded attention to decide the fate of my rights I will choose the lesser of the two.
    So by that account, I can't protest or exercise freedom of religion because it might draw unwanted attention to me. I wouldn't want that. Right?

Top Bottom