• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Suppose we all decide to start carrying long guns into public restaurants. What do you all think will ultimately happen? How long will it take? Will it be a net gain or loss of rights?

Can't be a gain, of course, because we already have the right to do so. Do we want to keep it? Or should we run the risk of trying to normalize the behavior by in hopes of desensitizing the public? I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know how that would turn out.

So because you think my rights will be taken away, I shouldn't exercise them? Does this include voting? After all, that's more dangerous than me carrying my long gun. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    So because you think my rights will be taken away, I shouldn't exercise them? Does this include voting? After all, that's more dangerous than me carrying my long gun. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

No, I believe my rights may be taken away because people do things like carry AR-15's into McDonald's.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    However is comfortable for me and is still safe. Obviously it won't be at the low ready.

Or is there a socially acceptable response I should be looking for here? IWB? Under my jacket? Taped to my forehead?

You have a round in the chamber, so are we talking safe for you, or safe for everybody else? H
    ere, I'll simply get to the point. I always assume a firearm is loaded, and certainly don't enjoy being "lasered" by people. So, IMO, the safe way to carry a rifle, in public, is either slung muzzle straight up, or muzzle straight down. The problem with that, is you will have difficulty deploying your weapon with any type of speed should an immediate threat presents itself... so basically, short of the Russian falling out of the sky during history class, it's impractical. You'd be better off with a sharp set of chopsticks and cinder block.

Again, in absence of an articulable threat, it makes absolutely no sense to carry a rifle in public. There are better options, and better ways that won't alienate the public. I disagree with OC, but I saw a guy the other day, and didn't think he was dumb, and gun "activist" or anything... that was just his tactical consideration which he felt most comfortable with. Now if this same guy was OC'ing a long gun, I'd sigh and think "this idiots' looking for trouble."

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Suppose we all decide to start carrying long guns into public restaurants. What do you all think will ultimately happen? How long will it take? Will it be a net gain or loss of rights?Can't be a gain, of course, because we already have the right to do so. Do we want to keep it? Or should we run the risk of trying to normalize the behavior in hopes of desensitizing the public? I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know how that would turn out.
    No, we do not.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If for whatever reason you don't exercise your rights, two things happen: 1) you make it easier for people to legislate them away because, hey... nobody exercises them anyway, and 2) you won't miss them when they're gone.

I'm curious, does anyone have an example of a right that was done away with because nobody used it? I can't think of single instance where legislators got together and said "Hey, lets make a law prohibiting something that people don't do."
    Conversely, there are numerous instance of legislators enacting laws that restrict rights because "people are doing it wrong." Speech, Arms, Search & Seizure, have numerous examples exhibiting such.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    You have a round in the chamber, so are we talking safe for you, or safe for everybody else? H
    ere, I'll simply get to the point. I always assume a firearm is loaded, and certainly don't enjoy being "lasered" by people. So, IMO, the safe way to carry a rifle, in public, is either slung muzzle straight up, or muzzle straight down. The problem with that, is you will have difficulty deploying your weapon with any type of speed should an immediate threat presents itself... so basically, short of the Russian falling out of the sky during history class, it's impractical. You'd be better off with a sharp set of chopsticks and cinder block.

Again, in absence of an articulable threat, it makes absolutely no sense to carry a rifle in public. There are better options, and better ways that won't alienate the public. I disagree with OC, but I saw a guy the other day, and didn't think he was dumb, and gun "activist" or anything... that was just his tactical consideration which he felt most comfortable with. Now if this same guy was OC'ing a long gun, I'd sigh and think "this idiots' looking for trouble."

Is there ever a true "safe" way to carry a gun? When I carry my handgun, I carry indexed forward. It points at people's feet. Safe? Absolutely. I don't carry a rifle, nor do I own one, therefore I don't know the "proper" way to carry a rifle. However, I have slung a few over my shoulder. Depending on what type of sling it is, I can grab it almost as quick as my handgun.

These are organized in cooperation with law enforcement agencies.

Not all of them are. We organize open carry meets every now and then. LEAs have no say in what we do. Why do they need to be notified in the first place?
    Of course not, but I don't think it's a good idea.
    Just because you don't think it's a good idea, doesn't mean you should restrict other people's ability to do so. We go back to voting. I don't believe it's a good idea for some people to vote, but I can't restrict them from doing so. I don't believe it's a good idea for WBC to protest a military funeral, I can't restrict them from doing so. Just because we don't agree, doesn't mean we can restrict it. We definitely shouldn't be calling other people idiots and degrading them if they're doing something that we wouldn't do, but don't wanna lose.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've read this whole thread and is time for me to pipe up again so here's my .02 worth:

African carry is my favorite way of carrying a rifle and sidearm at the same time.

That's all. Carry on.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm curious, does anyone have an example of a right that was done away with because nobody used it? I can't think of single instance where legislators got together and said "Hey, lets make a law prohibiting something that people don't do."
    Conversely, there are numerous instance of legislators enacting laws that restrict rights because "people are doing it wrong." Speech, Arms, Search & Seizure, have numerous examples exhibiting such.
    Can you think of any rights that were taken away BECAUSE they were used? I can't.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Taken because we used them, as they were meant, not restricted because some ******* went around and shot people for no good reason.

I hope the irony of this statement, in relation to this discussion, isn't lost on your part.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    What's the irony? Because I said used as they were meant, and someone's carrying a long gun in a restaurant as a means of self defense? No irony in that statement, from my eyes. I'll check back in the morning, I have to work later.

Top Bottom