• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand you were irritated with being questioned, though I think it might have been a good idea to educate the man on our legal right to carry a firearm. Many people ignorant of the law. If we don't take the time to educate them when questioned who will?

I agree but have you ever tried to talk to someone that idiotic. 95% of the time it is wasted energy and only serves to escalate the situation. Someone that hell bent that they confront a man with a side arm is not going to listen. They are right in their addled mind and you are a demon spawn.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the beautiful limestone hill country of Southern Indiana I would have thought I could OC an Abrams Tank and nobody would care....

We've got busy bodies down here too.

Calling Ofc. Maxey. Calling Ofc. Maxey. Ofc. Maxey to INGO, stat.

WRT any possible snark on VUPDBLue's part, I posit this modification of the OP scenario:

1) VUPDBlue was the confronter, not the confrontee.
    2) VUPDBlue were in uniform.

How would the average (yes, we all know VUPDBlue is above average) LEO react to an OCer telling them, "I assure you I am OK, but I don't see how it is any of your business in the first place."

If need be, omit modification #2 above, since we all know LEOs are LEOs state-wide, all the time, in and out of uniform.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    LEO or not has zero to do with the price of tea in China. I really don't see how it's any of Mr. Concerned Citizen's business whatsoever and if he is not in any sort of situation to be taking enforcement action if I was "not OK" then why open his baconhole in the first place? Upon reflection my classmates and I decided that if I had quicker wit then I should have replied "Of course I'm OK, the voices in my head told me so".

Hoplophobia runs deep in our society.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    How would the average (yes, we all know VUPDBlue is above average) LEO react to an OCer telling them, "I assure you I am OK, but I don't see how it is any of your business in the first place."

Cathy, Oh, I think we all know how that situation would play out.

Let me pose this question. Several have stated that it was none of this guys business if what VUPDblue was doing was legal and if he was OK to be doing it.

If what another citizen is doing is none of our business, then why do we even bother carrying a gun??

Maybe the guy that confronted VUPD did not have the most tactful approach but it sounds like the "trained" officer he approached was right there at his same level.
    Should be giving the approacher a little bit of kudos for his situational awareness. Missed opportunity.

Last edited:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I agree but have you ever tried to talk to someone that idiotic. 95% of the time it is wasted energy and only serves to escalate the situation. Someone that hell bent that they confront a man with a side arm is not going to listen. They are right in their addled mind and you are a demon spawn.

I don't think we help ourselves when we refer to those who disagree with us as stupid, idiotic, or addled, and/or assume that they think we are evil. Many of the people who disagree with us are highly intelligent; they either are working with incomplete information, or they have the same information but draw different conclusions than we do. Maybe their minds can be changed, maybe not. However, treating them with disdain, either overtly or through tone of voice or body language, is guaranteed to destroy any chance of having a meaningful dialogue with them.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    This thread is starting to deliver.

I have no problem with how VUPD handle this and had it been an officer confronting him he would have had to do like everyone else, prove he has an exemption to be carying.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This thread is starting to deliver.

I have no problem with how VUPD handle this and had it been an officer confronting him he would have had to do like everyone else, prove he has an exemption to be carying.
    But I heard on INGO that you don't have to prove ANYTHING to a cop! You can just lie to them or shut up!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Your screen may be broken. That last post was purple.
    Must be...
    2014-03-28_10-55-33.png

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't think we help ourselves when we refer to those who disagree with us as stupid, idiotic, or addled, and/or assume that they think we are evil. Many of the people who disagree with us are highly intelligent; they either are working with incomplete information, or they have the same information but draw different conclusions than we do. Maybe their minds can be changed, maybe not. However, treating them with disdain, either overtly or through tone of voice or body language, is guaranteed to destroy any chance of having a meaningful dialogue with them.

I can see how you arrived at this from my post. In my lifes course the confrontations with those who would disagree on about anything have put me in this mind set. I do not retaliate with harsh tones and body language. It just seems to go there when I do not bend to their opinion/world view/or suggestions. Names have been thrown at me and attitudes have gone south. I am not perfect but I have been in a service related field my entire working life so I do know how to handle people in a civil way. It has been my experience that (not all but most) those who would push their ways on me are the ones to escalate the situation. I do not see these people as intelligent.
    I have had good dialog with folks who are open to this. Most are fixed in their opinions/views and will not be swayed. At least by me.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

^^^^ This. There ain't no debating crazy. And Hoplophobia is a mental disorder.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I understand you were irritated with being questioned, though I think it might have been a good idea to educate the man on our legal right to carry a firearm. Many people ignorant of the law. If we don't take the time to educate them when questioned who will?
    Absolutely right! That's a "teachable moment". You could wind up a short seminar on IN law with a pop quiz: would HE be "OK with that" if a real homocidal maniac drove his truck through the window and started shooting like in Luby's cafeteria, and if so, why isn't HE carrying?

Top Bottom