• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    As a retired police office I also had somewhat of the same encounter. This man stopped me and started making the biggest witch hunt with my firearm being exposed. I brought out my credentials but this did not satisfy him. I was forced to call the local police and have them come on scene to stop this mans stupid rants about being in a restaurant with a firearm. Then as if it was all over he paid his bill and walked back by my table to stop and called me an ass wipe. I wanted to get up and clean his clock, but I just smiled and wished him a good day. Grrrrrr.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    As a retired police office I also had somewhat of the same encounter. This man stopped me and started making the biggest witch hunt with my firearm being exposed. I brought out my credentials but this did not satisfy him. I was forced to call the local police and have them come on scene to stop this mans stupid rants about being in a restaurant with a firearm. Then as if it was all over he paid his bill and walked back by my table to stop and called me an ass wipe. I wanted to get up and clean his clock, but I just smiled and wished him a good day. Grrrrrr.
    He was just upset that you were right and he was wrong and that he couldn't tell you what to do :).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I understand you were irritated with being questioned, though I think it might have been a good idea to educate the man on our legal right to carry a firearm. Many people ignorant of the law. If we don't take the time to educate them when questioned who will?

I read the situation the same way. IE. The man was questioning if you could legally carry a handgun without being a police officer (the man likely assumed VUPDBlue was not an officer if he wasn't in uniform). Great opportunity of a polite educational experience missed...

But I can definitely see how OP read it the way he did. The man appeared confrontational about it, which puts the situation into a different mental "realm" that may cause it to be read differently...

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I understand you were irritated with being questioned, though I think it might have been a good idea to educate the man on our legal right to carry a firearm. Many people ignorant of the law. If we don't take the time to educate them when questioned who will?

Thats what I sort of thought. I don't OC, but if my gun was spotted and someone was genuinely either curious or concerned with it, I'd like to think I could be a good representative of a gun owner by attempting to be kind. Obviously some folks aren't going to like it regardless of what you say, but starting off rude doesn't help. Then again, when you've gotta you've gotta go! I just think a quick, "Look, I've really gotta go take a leak but I'm a licensed and responsible citizen (or could say you're LEO) who can carry a gun legally. Don't have to worry about me starting any trouble, though thanks for the concern." would have been more effective. But I've been told I'm too nice of a guy. So what do I know? :)

Either way, doesn't sound like a bad encounter and kudos to the waitress for being cool with it.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.
    Looks like you threw that one right out the window.

"I gave the guy a look like he had three heads and said in my most sarcastic voice "excuse me?"
    This is the point where you took the high road, huh?

Way to waste an opportunity to educate someone.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

"I gave the guy a look like he had three heads and said in my most sarcastic voice "excuse me?"

Aaand... There it is. I honestly can't believe it took 45 posts. :rolleyes:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I dont see how he's being a jerk when that guy asked this question especially the way he asked it.
    It's like if he asked a woman behind the wheel of a car "Are you sure you're allowed to drive a car?".
    It should be basic knowledge that people can carry guns in 'Merica just like women are allowed to drive or vote.Same basic stuff you learn in school.:dunno:

And it looks like this man was looking for a confrontation.It's not like if he asked "Hey I can see you have a gun.How do I you get a licence to do that or do you even need one in that State?".

Finally I find it odd that this guy is asking the OP if he's doing something legal or not.
    Like who would say "No I'm carrying illegally, you should call the cops now".
    If I notice something odd that looks illegal I dont go ask that person if he has the right to do that or not. :dunno:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Aaand... There it is. I honestly can't believe it took 45 posts. :rolleyes:

Actually it was post #46, I can't blame vuple blue for being irrated, not only did the guy not mind his own business, but also insulted vu's intelligence by asking "are you SURE your allowed...." it basically called his intellect into question.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    So my LTCH says I have to be educational if I OC? I didn't realize that. I'd better read up on my "responsibilities" as a gun owner.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You should have just told him "sorry, but I am not gay or bi curious, but keep hitting on every guy going to the rest room and it is sure to work out eventually."

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I think it's funny because he asked you "are you ok to carry that" as if he was going to do something about it?

Did he plan on disarming an armed individual? haha so stupid.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sounds like a missed opportunity for recreational jack-booting to me.

Yeah, why didn't you show him the badge that you wear around your neck like on Law & Order: SVU?

*kicks rocks* I miss all the fun. I would have done something like . . . .

"Are you OK to carry that?"

"Our cover is totally blow! *talks into sleeve of sweatshirt* Go to Plan Zebra, I repeat Plan Zebra now!" *runs out of Bob Evans*

Top Bottom