• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have no problem with him calling the police.... looking down the wrong end of a scoped rifle is pretty intimidating.

Would it be any different if this happened at a range of 20ft? How about 10ft? I can't stand in my front lawn and point my pistol at everyone that walks by right? So why should I be allowed to point a scoped rifle at a jogger?
    Obviously a gun isn't a threat unless you can feel the cold steel of the muzzle against your temple or pressed into your belly. And even in that case you shouldn't involve the police. Just hand them a copy of "The Four Rules" and explain to them the error of their ways and all will be well.

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    If I wind up looking at the business end of any weapon being passed around, I'm not going to bother with any LEO, until after the gunsmoke clears. I don't know about the rest of you, but my father taught me that all weapons are to be treated as loaded weapons, until you yourself has made certain of its condition, i.e., loaded or not. My time spent in the military reinforced this. I have no reason to believe, assume or presume, that anyone randomly pointing a weapon at passersby and occupied building, is handling an empty weapon! Why do any of you make the assumption that these people are handling an empty firearm? I would not and since it is physically impossible for me to outrun a speeding bullet (Adventures of Superman, anyone?), I'd weigh options about applying deadly force, sadly.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Obviously a gun isn't a threat unless you can feel the cold steel of the muzzle against your temple or pressed into your belly. And even in that case you shouldn't involve the police. Just hand them a copy of "The Four Rules" and explain to them the error of their ways and all will be well.

Just wanted to offer a different opinion on this.....

Without knowing if there was malice in their actions, one may assume it was mere stupidity taking place. That being said, what would be so wrong about taking the time to profess about the 4 rules? How many times in your lives have you had the opportunity to educate someone that you see doing something wrong? Why would it be necessary to jump right to calling the police, when you could take the few seconds to verify intent - not to avoid involvement of the police, but to enlighten someone? If they threatened the OP after his query, THEN call the local PD.

Let's face facts here.... We ALL know of someone that is less than proficient with firearms, or have seen it. Perhaps an offer of education would have been a better course first...:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At the risk of inciting a riot I know that personally there would have been words exchanged. No LEO involved unless it escalated.
    How does pointing a long gun at people not get your hair up. Let the A$$ hats involved know you are watching them and the activity will usually cease after some verbal abuse.
    Get them on video for any CYA needs and let them have it.

Edit....Kirk, where are you????

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just wanted to offer a different opinion on this.....

Without knowing if there was malice in their actions, one may assume it was mere stupidity taking place. That being said, what would be so wrong about taking the time to profess about the 4 rules? How many times in your lives have you had the opportunity to educate someone that you see doing something wrong? Why would it be necessary to jump right to calling the police, when you could take the few seconds to verify intent - not to avoid involvement of the police, but to enlighten someone? If they threatened the OP after his query, THEN call the local PD.

Let's face facts here.... We ALL know of someone that is less than proficient with firearms, or have seen it. Perhaps an offer of education would have been a better course first...:twocents:
    I understand your point, but then again, how many people have been killed by mere stupidity, especially when it comes to firearms. Negligent discharge anyone? Maybe they could have been reasoned with, but given the OP's description of the individuals and given that they seem to have had more than one brush with the law, I tend to doubt it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I understand your point, but then again, how many people have been killed by mere stupidity, especially when it comes to firearms. Negligent discharge anyone? Maybe they could have been reasoned with, but given the OP's description of the individuals and given that they seem to have had more than one brush with the law, I tend to doubt it.

Where's the 4 rules crowd in this thread?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cussion/319253-another-look-police-state.html

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Amazing how many posters think pointing a gun at some one is cool. :dunno:

That's what I couldn't believe when I read over this thread.

OP, I think you made the right choice. This type of reckless behavior has gotten more than a few people killed by "unloaded" guns over the years. There are better ways to function check and bore sight a bolt rifle even in a neighborhood. (Assuming that's what they were 'attempting' to do) Not to mention the already cited I.C. concerning the issue.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    It's a special kind of stupid to point a gun at a school. On top of that, then start coonfingering it. That's exactly what gun-owners need. More dip****s doing stupid stuff with guns.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    We all need to remember that calling the police does not mean you are automatically doing something wrong or bad. If there is nothing going on the police will not arrest anyone. On the contrary, calling the police in situations like this can save lives. The police are trained to handle situations like this. Not all of us civilians are, and even if you are carrying a gun you may still not be prepared to handle a situation like this.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Number 1 rule of gun safety is to keep gun pointed in a safe direction at all times. Don't point a gun at anything which is not an intended target. That's just common sense. If you're out there pointing guns at people and laughing it up, then you're an idiot and you deserve a visit from the police. I don't blame the OP for handling the situation according to his best judgement. Don't see any reason to assume the OP is trolling or otherwise trying to start an argument. I don't see why any responsible gun owner would condone a bunch of morons who obviously don't know how to handle a firearm. I wouldn't even use a scoped rifle or shotgun to glass a deer unless I thought there was a chance I would shoot it, that's what binoculars are for. You shouldn't point a gun at anything that is not an intended target. Period.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, I'm kinda surprised by the attitude some are taking here. If I'm out in the neighborhood and some idiot points a gun at me, I'm most likely gonna call the cops, at the very least. I certainly have no reason to think the OP is making up the story, so, I'm not really getting what has everybody riled up.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They may have been stupid but there's no law against having a rifle outside or laughing with your friends. The OP was jogging I doubt they intentionally pointed a rifle at him, they probably didn't even notice him until he ran in front of the rifle and after that it's too late to do anything about it. Unless they pointed it at him down the street and were actually tracking him as he ran by I doubt there was malice involved.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Well, it seems as if the idiots had an unloaded firearm. Did you tell PD they were just handling it in the front yard not far from a school, and you thought they should check to make sure they were not doing something dnagerous? I would.
    Or, did you call PD and say a group of people were pointing one or more firearms at an occupied school on a school day? From the sound of the OP, I wouldn't do that.
    Lot of difference in the LEO's reactions and attitude. Did you sound panicked and say you were threatened? That could factor in.

I believe I wold have stopped and mentioned the proximity of the school and the penalties they could be facing. I would have had my finger on the send button waiting for their reaction too.

Truth is, typed words will never convey the realities in this specific situation. 'You'd have to be there to know how you would react when things are going down.'

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, it seems as if the idiots had an unloaded firearm. Did you tell PD they were just handling it in the front yard not far from a school, and you thought they should check to make sure they were not doing something dnagerous? I would.
    Or, did you call PD and say a group of people were pointing one or more firearms at an occupied school on a school day? From the sound of the OP, I wouldn't do that.
    Lot of difference in the LEO's reactions and attitude. Did you sound panicked and say you were threatened? That could factor in.

I believe I wold have stopped and mentioned the proximity of the school and the penalties they could be facing. I would have had my finger on the send button waiting for their reaction too.

Truth is, typed words will never convey the realities in this specific situation. 'You'd have to be there to know how you would react when things are going down.'

Is "seems" a word you're willing to bet your life on? I bet probably not.

Top Bottom