• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I just wanted to get in early...So what's this about? Bad LEO's? Bush sucks? Libertarians throw away votes? Muslims are trying to kill us all because are chicks are hotter than theirs? I can not wait to read the original post....

First off, muslims are trying to kill us off. (if by "us" you mean non-muslims... well, that and each other...) Secondly, why don't you try and read the OP before you comment? Seems fair enough... Someone points a weapon at me I either shoot, or report, or both. I don't see this as a troll or an over reaction.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.

(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.

Burns Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-4-3
    You want to report it, report it. Just because a guy is a fellow gun owner, it doesn't mean they automatically get a pass on everything gun related.

....wait, wait, wait- it just occurred to me: the guy was holding a fire arm....."keeping" it and he was pointing it....."bearing" it......I've changed my mind:

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Yes, we really should use something like this when we start threads...

stock-photo-288420-will-return-sign.jpg

:laugh:

This idea should stick around.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A few thoughts based upon reading through this thread up to this point.

1. OP has changed the details after the original post. Was he on the way back from a job or out for a jog? Was he jogging back from a job? Probably a good explanation, but the discrepancy does not engender confidence in the account.

2. Someone was pointing a scoped rifle at the OP and at a school building, while yucking it up. Interesting.

3. The OP called the cops. Bad move. :twocents: Based on what I read here on :ingo:, in other threads, on other firearm-focused forums, and in the news, nothing good ever happens when someone calls the cops. I know, there are good cops out there, etc. But based on the preponderance of evidence, accounts read and news reports, Johnny SWATTEAM is just looking for a chance to go Rambo on a law abiding citizen. Last thing I want to do is call a cop. The likelihood of a good one showing up is not encouraging. What was that guy's name . . . Buzzard? Bastard? Bisard? Something like that?

4. Double standards are practiced on :ingo: just like everywhere else. It is OK to carry a long gun into Micky Ds but it is not OK to test a scope on a jogger heading home from a job—no wait, it is not OK to carry a long gun into Micky Ds but it is OK to sweep a jogger. WAIT, the four rules apply—loaded gun, sweep, target, background, but only if . . . Wait, tell me again why it was OK to scope the jogger? I am confused :dunno: Was it because the fools were working the bolt and the OP could see the rifle was unloaded? Or was it because the guys were laughing, just a couple good ol' boys who didn't mean no harm? They wuz just funnin' wid ya!

Assuming the OP is accurate and reliable, what should be done. Scoping someone is not something I endorse or am willing to accept. But I am not going to go live fire on the fools. I am not about to approach a group of strangers playing with a firearm, either. I will get out of range, duck and run. I do not want to be swept or scoped, and I certainly do not want to be in the neighborhood when the MWAG call from soccer mom brings Johnny SWATTEAM into action.

There is a lot to be said for just moving on. What was it that cop said, "Move along. Nothing to see here"? Sounds like good advice. :rolleyes:

Good Lord, we go on disturbances with guns ALL THE TIME and INGO posters are none the wiser. Hmmmm, imagine that.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I find it perplexing that the same people defending the fellow OC'ing an AR at McD's, and stated it was good as long as he carried it safely (ie shouldered with the muzzle down), are here defending someone pointing a rifle at people. :dunno::dunno:

it's not really strange at all if you think about it...

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    He said they were working the action on a bolt action rifle and made no mention of brass or ammo falling out.

If they worked the bolt on an empty chamber and the magazine was loaded you wouldn't have seen any brass or ammo falling out but it would have picked up the first round out of the magazine and loaded it. A LOT of "empty" guns have been the reason someone was shot "accidently".

The OP did the right thing!

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I cant tell if some of you people are complete idiots, or just bored and looking to stir the pot. I hope for the reputation of gun owners, the people in question are just looking for entertainment...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If they worked the bolt on an empty chamber and the magazine was loaded you wouldn't have seen any brass or ammo falling out but it would have picked up the first round out of the magazine and loaded it. A LOT of "empty" guns have been the reason someone was shot "accidently".

The OP did the right thing!

I took the statement as the action was worked more than once which means a whole bullet would have come flying out after being worked a 2nd time.........................

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I may have to disagree, inserting the police into a situation involving firearms where there is nothing happening has the chance to go very wrong. It may depend on though what the OP told the dispatcher and how that gets relayed to the responding officers.

In the end it is a judgement call, but I think that if anyone ever feels someone is being careless with a firearm and that someone may be in danger, the police should be called every time. If you are not sure anyone is in danger then you have to make a judgement call. But if you really think there is danger, it is irresponsible not to call the police.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If something ever escalates to the point where I feel like I have to call the cops because me & mine might be in danger due to you, the threat ... pray Pray PRAY that the cops deal with you.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    dude, we live im scott county, did you really expect intelligence?

Ok, Im on way back home from a jog a few minutes ago and Im jogging in front of a school administration building and I look to my left and see a scoped bolt action rifle being pointed at me from a house across the street. There are 3 males around the back of a truck "playing" with this rifle and pointing it at the school building adjusting the scope and laughing and having a good time. To make it more crazy the house is 4 houses down from the local jail:dunno:. I didn't comfront them just called the police. I just don't understand some people. Seriously just because you can sometimes you shouldn't.

B

Top Bottom