• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    We all need to remember that calling the police does not mean you are automatically doing something wrong or bad. If there is nothing going on the police will not arrest anyone. On the contrary, calling the police in situations like this can save lives. The police are trained to handle situations like this. Not all of us civilians are, and even if you are carrying a gun you may still not be prepared to handle a situation like this.

I may have to disagree, inserting the police into a situation involving firearms where there is nothing happening has the chance to go very wrong. It may depend on though what the OP told the dispatcher and how that gets relayed to the responding officers.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Is "seems" a word you're willing to bet your life on? I bet probably not.

Yeah, I looked back at the OP and I see where I missed his comment, "I hit the dirt and crawled behind a parked car, got in the ditch and crawled 6 blocks before getting up and running like the devil was after me." My bad.:rockwoot:

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, I looked back at the OP and I see where I missed his comment, "I hit the dirt and cralwed behind a parked car, got in the ditch and crawled 6 blocks before getting up an drunning like the devil was after me." My bad.:rockwoot:

Moral of the story, nobody likes surprises when deal with firearms

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It was unloaded, the OP even said so.

I missed where he said that, but even still. Hell today my friend handed me an AR to look at, and told me it was unloaded. Still, when I took it, I pulled the charging handle just to makes sure for myself.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Who knows what really happened? OP posted something, then changed the post. He was on his way back from a job, on a jog, jogging on the right of way between 3 guys "playing" with a rifle and it's scope in the house in the back of a truck while laughing and the wall of the school admin building. Apparently the local jail was in his sights when he ran through their line of sight on the building.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon

That rifle is NOT pointed at the drivers head. Its a well taken photo, at just the right angle, to be used to get anti cop blood boiling.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised by the attitude some are taking here. If I'm out in the neighborhood and some idiot points a gun at me, I'm most likely gonna call the cops, at the very least. I certainly have no reason to think the OP is making up the story, so, I'm not really getting what has everybody riled up.

Im not surprised at all... Theres so many fiercely closed minded people in the gun community, its a shame really.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I understand your point, but then again, how many people have been killed by mere stupidity, especially when it comes to firearms. Negligent discharge anyone? Maybe they could have been reasoned with, but given the OP's description of the individuals and given that they seem to have had more than one brush with the law, I tend to doubt it.

I must have have missed the part where the OP stated that these folks had more than one brush with the law.... nevermind, just saw it. As for ND's; why do they happen? That is correct - a violation of the 4 rules. I have seen ND's from noobs as well as veterans, so it is not always a question of training; but a missed opportunity to remember the basic 4 rules. Not everyone has had the benefit of professional training, nor is it required to purchase a deadly tool. Just look at how many people hurt themselves or others with power tools every year, often without full knowledge of basic safety rules for use. :twocents:

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When you start a thread, you need to hang around for an hour to answer some of the important questions that are going to be asked. It's that or post the approximate time you're going check back in with your thread.

Yes, we really should use something like this when we start threads...

stock-photo-288420-will-return-sign.jpg

:laugh:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What to do? Just go home.

A few thoughts based upon reading through this thread up to this point.

1. OP has changed the details after the original post. Was he on the way back from a job or out for a jog? Was he jogging back from a job? Probably a good explanation, but the discrepancy does not engender confidence in the account.

2. Someone was pointing a scoped rifle at the OP and at a school building, while yucking it up. Interesting.

3. The OP called the cops. Bad move. :twocents: Based on what I read here on :ingo:, in other threads, on other firearm-focused forums, and in the news, nothing good ever happens when someone calls the cops. I know, there are good cops out there, etc. But based on the preponderance of evidence, accounts read and news reports, Johnny SWATTEAM is just looking for a chance to go Rambo on a law abiding citizen. Last thing I want to do is call a cop. The likelihood of a good one showing up is not encouraging. What was that guy's name . . . Buzzard? Bastard? Bisard? Something like that?

4. Double standards are practiced on :ingo: just like everywhere else. It is OK to carry a long gun into Micky Ds but it is not OK to test a scope on a jogger heading home from a job—no wait, it is not OK to carry a long gun into Micky Ds but it is OK to sweep a jogger. WAIT, the four rules apply—loaded gun, sweep, target, background, but only if . . . Wait, tell me again why it was OK to scope the jogger? I am confused :dunno: Was it because the fools were working the bolt and the OP could see the rifle was unloaded? Or was it because the guys were laughing, just a couple good ol' boys who didn't mean no harm? They wuz just funnin' wid ya!

Assuming the OP is accurate and reliable, what should be done. Scoping someone is not something I endorse or am willing to accept. But I am not going to go live fire on the fools. I am not about to approach a group of strangers playing with a firearm, either. I will get out of range, duck and run. I do not want to be swept or scoped, and I certainly do not want to be in the neighborhood when the MWAG call from soccer mom brings Johnny SWATTEAM into action.

There is a lot to be said for just moving on. What was it that cop said, "Move along. Nothing to see here"? Sounds like good advice. :rolleyes:

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    The only thing that bothered me in this whole thread was saying it would be a good time to teach them the 4 rules. Three people armed with a rifle, I'm unarmed. No thanks, I wouldn't want to wake up dead.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    The only thing that bothered me in this whole thread was saying it would be a good time to teach them the 4 rules. Three people armed with a rifle, I'm unarmed. No thanks, I wouldn't want to wake up dead.

"Wake up dead" would be a neat trick.....

Three people, standing around with a rifle and laughing - on the other side of the street, and you can see it is unloaded. A simple exchange of " hey guys, you might want to watch where you are muzzle sweeping, being so close to a school and all", or " Whoa there! Can you please not point that at me? ". The only way to start a dialogue is to start talking, and if given the chance, enlighten them. I am not suggesting you run up to them, arms flailing wildly, and screaming about what they may have done - THAT is how bad stuff starts. I am simply suggesting an alternative to the other choices offered... A: Bury your head in the sand and pretend that nothing happened; B: Go full SWAT on them and call every agency available; or C: Refuse to take an opportunity to educate someone about the safe handling of firearms, especially given they will STILL be there, STILL handling firearms carelessly, STILL in your neighborhood, near a school and apparently a Jail after you go home. IMHO, when you choose C, you become part of the problem, since you refuse to become part of the solution. :twocents:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    So there is a building known to be frequently visited by the police.

There are guys handling a rifle in public near a school at this building.

They point the rifle at people.

Seems like the three S's apply.

Don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things.

I'd call LEO and let them teach the four rules.

Top Bottom