• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/01/19/good-question-why-did-somalis-locate-here/
    Good Question: Why Did Somalis Locate Here?

“In the beginning the U.S. federal government assigns people,” said Samatar.

To qualify as a refugee, there is a process. The U.S. State Department ultimately decides where refugees will live, but it has to do with the voluntary agencies, called VOLAGS, that contract with the State Department.
    Minnesota has very active ones like Lutheran Social Services, Catholic Charities, and World Relief Minnesota. Those agencies agree to help the refugees get settled, to learn English, find housing, get health care, and begin a new life.
    They “are known to be welcoming, and they invest a significant time of labor and resources, to help people find some comfort here and hope,” said Samatar.

It’s the same reason this is a population center for Hmong refugees. The VOLAGS make the initial wave happen. But just because people are relocated to a place like the Twin Cities, doesn’t mean they’ll stay.
    “They have the opportunity to move,” said Samatar.

But the Somalis have largely stayed, somewhere around 30,000 of them, partially because of the strength of the non-governmental VOLAGS, and partially because of the strength of governmental programs to help refugees begin a new life, according to Samatar.

After the first wave is assigned here, the second wave of relatives and friends soon followed.
    “As Somalis settle down, find a life, the good news spreads: ‘Hey this is a good place, you can find a life here,'” said Samatar.

Over the past 25 years, the United States has admitted about 84,000 Somali refugees. Close to 40 percent live in Minnesota.
    “The institutions of this state, private or public, have an important place in the mind of Somalis,” he noted.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Back on track.

Muslim Dem Compares Israel to Iran, Claims Jewish State Is NOT A Democracy [Video]

https://flagandcross.com/muslim-dem...claims-jewish-state-is-not-a-democracy-video/
    My 1st thought was "what did she put in her hookah?" but it's just the demagogue cloaking lies in truth again.

"when Israel passes a law recognizing it as a Jewish state...."[TRUE] actually a resolution reaffirming what it's declaration of independence already said

"....without recognizing the other religions living in it...."[LIE] Israeli law guarantees freedom of religion and autonomy of curriculum for each religious community

"....we continue to recognize it as the only democracy in the middle east." Nu? Where else in the middle east do Arabs have the right to vote and elect representatives who can criticize and even delegitimize the state without fear of retribution? Yeah, OK, in Kurdistan but that's only because they have their own armed forces and they're mostly in a separate region of Iraq.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Minnesota's had a long history of Dem. and progressives (somewhat ironic), so not a big surprise.

I'm looking, but can't find a source stating 35,000. Do you have a source for that?

I did find this map, but it shows that the distribution is much more dispersed than just MN, and no where near 35K in MN.
    I pretty sure that Bug can vouch for the fact that Columbus, OH has their share of Somali refugees. And I did taxes for a Somali family here in Fort Wayne - so. many. children. Took me forever to type in all those names and each time ask, "Is XXX a girl or boy?" Fun fact: the parents didn't know their exact birthdate; their listed DOB is Jan 1, 19XX.

USSomaliMap-large.jpg

So you knowingly filed false information with the IRS on their behalf? Tsk...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    https://www.factcheck.org/2019/02/meme-misleads-on-minnesotas-somali-refugees/
    Meme Misleads on Minnesota’s Somali Refugees

FactCheck.org rated middle of the political spectrum with factual reporting very high

Ok then...Minnesotans are just that damned dumb then. Thanks for the info.

Governor Rassler Man and Senator Al Dipstick kinda proves that I think. They do like their radical Muslims up there in the frozen tundra of the 5th District...considered the most partisan democrat district in the United States. They are the envy of Cook County Illinois.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Governor Rassler Man and Senator Al Dipstick kinda proves that I think. They do like their radical Muslims up there in the frozen tundra of the 5th District...considered the most partisan democrat district in the United States. They are the envy of Cook County Illinois.

Gotta be just the Minnesotans from the urban centers, just like most other "liberal states" like Illinois. No surprise the dems want to eliminate the electoral college.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So you knowingly filed false information with the IRS on their behalf? Tsk...
    No, no - their birth dates are officially January 1, i.e. the US has assigned that date to them, probably because they don't have any birth certificate.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/14/723259456/the-worlds-identity-crisis

They really are.

Gotta be just the Minnesotans from the urban centers, just like most other "liberal states" like Illinois. No surprise the dems want to eliminate the electoral college.
    About 60% of Minnesotans live in the Minn-St. Paul area, whereas 85% of Illinoisans live in Chicagoland.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There was some discussion about Churches relocating illegal aliens earlier in the thread, here is a bit of follow up.

Trump ends churches’ refugee-resettlement gravy train

https://dcdirtylaundry.com/trump-ends-churches-refugee-resettlement-gravy-train/

There's conflagration in that article between legal and illegal refugees that really confusing.

Plus there's this concerning bit:
    This effectively ends the involvement of about 40 East Bay parishes in setting up apartments, driving newcomers to appointments and helping them feel at home in their new land. Over the past three years, these parishes have been actively involved in co-sponsoring refugee families. Reportedly, “many” of those refugees had worked for the U.S. government in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    So, people who risked their lives supporting us in our war our now being denied what they were most likely promised in exchange for their efforts. That's not cool.

Plus, you read that Trump is ending this "gravy train", yet in the news is a whole new gravy train head to South Florida.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There's conflagration in that article between legal and illegal refugees that really confusing.

Plus there's this concerning bit:

So, people who risked their lives supporting us in our war our now being denied what they were most likely promised in exchange for their efforts. That's not cool.

Plus, you read that Trump is ending this "gravy train", yet in the news is a whole new gravy train head to South Florida.

What I took away from that original article was that since the reduction in the flow of refugees meant that the churches weren't getting the money they used to. Trump didn't stop the gravy train (as in ending the flow of money to them). He just cut down on the "need" for their services. He took a chunk of their seemingly rather lucrative "customer base" away. Nothing is stopping them to continue to help the refugees, it's just that now it's not the money maker it once was. I see them in the same light as some unsavory foster parents that are only in it for the money rather than actually wanting to help the kids they foster.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What I took away from that original article was that since the reduction in the flow of refugees meant that the churches weren't getting the money they used to. Trump didn't stop the gravy train (as in ending the flow of money to them). He just cut down on the "need" for their services. He took a chunk of their seemingly rather lucrative "customer base" away. Nothing is stopping them to continue to help the refugees, it's just that now it's not the money maker it once was. I see them in the same light as some unsavory foster parents that are only in it for the money rather than actually wanting to help the kids they foster.

Not knowing really anything about these charities apart from a few hit pieces, I can't really judge their motivation one way or another.

However, I do approve of using faith-based charities instead of government alphabet soup orgs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not knowing really anything about these charities apart from a few hit pieces, I can't really judge their motivation one way or another.

However, I do approve of using faith-based charities instead of government alphabet soup orgs.

But those are allegedly faith-based organizations. I hesitate to call them charities when they're government funded.

From the article:

"As an example, the Baptist Child and Family Services (BCFS) had very lucrative contracts with the Obama administration’s HHS, DHS, and other agencies. One such contract was for BCFS to acquire and operate the luxury Palm Aire Resort & Hotel to house illegal “children” at a cost of $50 million.Another contract was for the BCFS to provide “basic shelter care” to 2,400 “unaccompanied alien children” for just four months in 2014, at a cost to taxpayers of more than $182 million. BCFS’s lucrative contracts with the federal government would explain its president and CEO Kevin Dinnin’s bloated annual salary of more than $477,799."

The left sure likes to complain about "separation of church and state", except when they're paying church-based organizations to house illegal immigrants. That doesn't sound like a charity. That sounds like a government contractor on the government payroll.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Isn't this the result of G. W. Bush's initiatives?

Another look at BCFS: Child Migrants Find Shelter With Baptist Charity In Border Crises | Time

I think GW meant for the "charities" to foot the bill through voluntary contributions, not through taxpayer money. Again, "very lucrative contracts with the Obama administration’s HHS, DHS, and other agencies."

And that article you just posted also indicated that the money started flowing under the Obama administration as well.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Howbout we just ban ignorant a-holes from congress? Goodbye 2/3rds of congress. (Including leadership).

Top Bottom