• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Set up a ground blind today for my 10 year old son to use. He wants to go out this weekend with the crossbow. There is a field behind the blind where I have shot quite a few deer and the creek runs beside it where my son, dad and I have all killed deer. There was a deer crossing the creek when we got there. The blind is in the same spot where I was sitting on the ground Saturday and had a yote 25 yards away.
    2012-10-17_17-10-51_212.jpg

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Its been so long since I have seen a deer I forgot what they look like. Not from lack of hunting. Whats up with them this year. I've seen several scrapes and tracks,but no deer.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Does anyone know of any clubs that have some sort of teaching program for newby hunters, I have always wanted to learn since I was young and would like to learn how to hunt everything as well as how to field dress it, so I can be more free and live off of the land. Any info that anyone has would be great. Thank you

Read the regulations and get in the field. You can't "learn" how to hunt from someone telling you, you have to make mistakes in the field. Field dressing is simple really and there are plenty of youtube videos on multiple species. Just take the test, get a small game license and grab your .22. Start with squirrels this year and maybe next year go deer hunting. However, the hunter safety course may provide some "tips".

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Shot a buck two days ago. Pass through, blood and hair on my arrow. Trail was easy, large amount of blood, 10 inchs by 6 inches of blood and lung tissue in a few places. Tracked him about 500 yrds and he kicked up and took off. WTF? based on the sign I thought he was going to be dead. It was almost dark, I left him to die and would pick up the trail in the am.

Spent 4 hours in the am looking. Found the trail again but the blood stopped and started every 30 yrds. Could not find him. Call in reinforcements with a buddy who is a tracking pro. Found more sign but the blood trail stopped and the area has so many deer it daily that finding the right trail was impossible. Looked for two more hours. Nothing. Disappointing to say the least. In hind sight I should have not tracked him further than 150 yrds or so the first night.

8056661799_067eaae482_z.jpg

8056661965_32da65d8f2_z.jpg

8056662894_0ca8cd88ca_z.jpg

Im sure it's already been said and I'm not trying to be a smarta$$

wait , wait and wait more
    wait at least 4 hours , slip out the back way and come back later
    it will help, it allows them to relax and stove up and bleed to death even if the wound clogs it bleeds internernal

I know it stinks and I'm sure most guys who bow hunt have went through this

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hard to wait with the warm weather, meat will go bad.

Hopefully it'll cool down some more.

I'll be back at it tonight after work.

FWIW, the meat will not go bad as long as the deer is still breathing. I understand what you are saying though.

If I take a shot with a bow and track over 100-150 yds, I know it was not a perfect hit, and back out! With a double lung shot rarely will a deer make it over 100 yards. A deer can survive a single lung hit, or if it is fatal it can go a long way (especialy if pushed.) Liver hit will kill it, but it may take 4-6 hrs, for it to die.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    hard to wait with the warm weather, meat will go bad.

Hopefully it'll cool down some more.

I'll be back at it tonight after work.

The nights have been cold enough that you shouldn't have to worry about bacteria propagation if you have to wait till the morning... (at least around here)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    well, I won't have to wait until morning, double lung at 30 yards, she only made it another 35

wind died down a bit just as the sun went down, she came trotting up the trail

Took my time and put the shot right through the boilerroom.

66234_10151138130218528_1874170954_n.jpg

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Nice shot Hickman. Glad your having better luck this year. You hunting the same farm as last year or do you have a new property this year?

well, I won't have to wait until morning, double lung at 30 yards, she only made it another 35

wind died down a bit just as the sun went down, she came trotting up the trail

Took my time and put the shot right through the boilerroom.

66234_10151138130218528_1874170954_n.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Nice shot Hickman. Glad your having better luck this year. You hunting the same farm as last year or do you have a new property this year?

Hunting on Crane after work for the most part. I was here last year as well, but kept running around trying to learn the base. My goal this year was just just pick a two areas, learn them and hunt them. So far, so good. Now I can work on filling an the two military refuge tags with bucks.

We're staying out of the farm until the rut/gun season for the most part.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I shot a button buck yesterday morning, thought it was a doe. I used the online check in for the first time, it was fast and easy. Thats what ill be doing from now on

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Was in the stand from 6:30am - 6:30 pm. Around 9am a nice 10 point came walking through just out of range. He was licking trees and rubbing the hanging branches along a path. He was a hog...I am hoping to get a crack at him.

2:00pm two doe came in across the creek and bedded down around 80 yards from me. I was planning on leaving but I didn't want to jump them. I ended up waiting until they got up and started moving. One came within 30 yards and was somewhat in a thicket with an opening. I was too eager and took a shot. Hit a dang branch and lost my easton fmj.

First bow miss on a deer that was my fault due to lack of judgement or bad form. Ruined a beautiful day but it was a learning experience. I have a bad taste in my mouth today regardless and no jerky meat to boot.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    Got a decent sized doe last night. Shot her at 37 yards via my range finder. I saw her drop about 20 yards from where I shot her. I guess the ad for Grim Reaper broad heads that says "watch em drop" is true. She was slightly quartering to me and when I got over to her and could see the exit wound I was afraid I hit some guts. Lucky for me that wasn't the case. Had it field dressed and in the back of the truck before 6pm.

doe.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    gonna be back in the upper 70's this week, going to make recoveries for evening hunters imperative. If I get out this week, I'll have a cooler of ice in the truck, just in case.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yeah, we've had the same 2 small bucks keep showing up.

We call one "knuckles" because one of this antlers likes like a balled up fist and the other is a fork.

I'll be moving stands this week to a couple of areas I've seen bigger bucks on trail cam.

135632_10151139434858528_2088020672_o.jpg

Top Bottom