• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    First crossbow deer tonite. Actually I shot a big 8 pointer Last week but he ducked and the arrow looked to go above spine just some fat and very little blood on arrow. Shot was 35 yards and he was relaxed but crossbows are loud and he dropped fast. I hope he survived I spent hours looking for him and nothing. Been seeing 8 - 15 deer every time I go out but in no hurry to fill the freezer. Lots of small bucks. On way out with this doe I saw a 150-160 inch 10 pointer that I haven't seen before. That was the highlight of the day.
    This doe with the crossbow makes at least 1 deer with everything legal to hunt with in IN. Shotgun,bow,crossbow,muzzleloader,PCR,and handgun.
    2012-10-12_19-59-12_842.jpg

Good Luck everyone.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Have you tried blackpowder handgun yet?

;)

You have me there:D I was thinking when you check a deer in they give you 6 options to choose how you harvested the deer, Bow, Crossbow, Shotgun, Rifle, Handgun and muzzleloader. But I guess I haven't covered all the sub groups.

dont forget recurves,longbows and self bows...primitive arrows etc

I used to hunt with a recurve 30 years ago and did shoot a couple of deer with it. I hunted with a friends longbow(borrowed) a couple of times but never scored with it.

FWIW I found the handgun the most challenging of all the one I've used. I have shot handgun competition on and off for over 20 years and I'm a decent shot and I still find it the toughest one.:twocents:

Last edited:

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    went out this morning, didn't see a thing

I think they are teasing me now, this is 27 yards from my stand and was not there Thursday

480922_10151131204893528_1689279589_n.jpg

Havent seen any of those yet but I now have a fresh new scrape the size of a car hood that materialized overnight not more than 22 yards away from my stand.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    FWIW I found the handgun the most challenging of all the one I've used. I have shot handgun competition on and off for over 20 years and I'm a decent shot and I still find it the toughest one.:twocents:

Agreed. Last year I got a good thrill because of the handgun challenge. I hunt on the ground (no blind, just me and some camo) and threw a round across the back of one. For some reason he turned and started trotting directly towards me (that'll get your blood pumping!). Put another round right through the brisket as he was coming-- didn't stop. About 10 yards from me he finally sees me and turns, gets a round in the boiler room and plopped down in another yard or two. Swooooo!!!:D When I got to working him up, he had a peice of hide tore from his back so shallow it only opened the fat. This was the first round. I normally make fun of guys I hear let two or three rounds rip- that day I became one, and was ready to drop some more if needed:laugh: The whole ordeal could have been dealt with at 50 yards with 1 shot from my 1894, but it wouldn't have been as exciting.

I am looking forward to setting the 625 aside and getting the 629 out in a few weeks:rockwoot:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Set up this evening along a creek, just inside the edge of the woods on a stool watching a trail I've seen several does use to cross the road. Wasn't there more then 15 minutes when SIX does come walking out.

I set the scope on the 2nd nanny and let her fly, about 17 yards away.

Complete pass through and she bolted across the road with the rest of them.

Went and checked the arrow and thought I was in good shape

35498_10151131576033528_375603527_n.jpg

My plan was to back out and retrieve in the morning, until I got half way home and checked the weather...72 degrees with a low of 65... so I grab my 17yo son, lights and a cooler of 6 2-liter ice bottles and head back to the woods.

Son's eagle eyes picked up the blood trail, but it was crap. Mostly just drops that ended about 250 yards away, spent another 90 minutes trying to pick it back up before we gave up.

I saw an episode MidWestWhitetail last season, where the arrow went just above the vitals and below the spine and the deer was alive and well a week later on a trail camera.

I dunno, I felt like the shot was right on and expected a lot more blood.

Disappointing, but that's part of hunting.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Set up this evening along a creek, just inside the edge of the woods on a stool watching a trail I've seen several does use to cross the road. Wasn't there more then 15 minutes when SIX does come walking out.

My plan was to back out and retrieve in the morning, until I got half way home and checked the weather...72 degrees with a low of 65... so I grab my 17yo son, lights and a cooler of 6 2-liter ice bottles and head back to the woods.

Son's eagle eyes picked up the blood trail, but it was crap. Mostly just drops that ended about 250 yards away, spent another 90 minutes trying to pick it back up before we gave up.

I saw an episode MidWestWhitetail last season, where the arrow went just above the vitals and below the spine and the deer was alive and well a week later on a trail camera.

Dont feel bad, had a similar incident happen last year. Shot a nice doe, broadside at 35 yards. The shot felt and looked good and there was good blood on the ground where she was standing. Unfortunately it wasnt a pass though (was using a two blade rage) and she ran off with the arrow in her. I waited about an hour before tracking her just to be sure but after three hours and about 400 yards later the trail dried up and never could find her or the arrow. I even went back the next morning and couldnt locate her or anymore sign of blood. Conclusion, I dont use Rages anymore and theres a deer out there running around with one heck of a body peircing. I still feel a little bad that I couldnt have found her.

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Well that sucks. I just bought some Rages.

I'm hearing a lot more stories of what seem to be good shots with deer not ever going down. Is this true, or is it just because I am in touch with the internet world more this year?

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

HICKMAN...I ran across this earlier in the season. Pretty informative.

BobFoulkrod.com » Following Blood Trails & Finding Every Buck

My very first deer I hit with a bow, found a blood trail but was never able to recover the deer after about 6 hours of searching over 2 days.

Was your arrow covered in tallow at all? Mine was as well as dark brown hair. I concluded with mine I hit the deer below the spine but missing the vitals.

She was fairly dark colored and I think I spotted her a year later.

Sounds like you are seeing more deer this year. I can't wait to see you get your buck. I think this is the year.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Well that sucks. I just bought some Rages.

I'm hearing a lot more stories of what seem to be good shots with deer not ever going down. Is this true, or is it just because I am in touch with the internet world more this year?

I think it depends on who you ask. Someone on here said that they hate muzzy mx-3 broadheads but my dad and I have never had any issues. Busted through shoulders with slug size exit wounds.

I have a buddy who will only use rage. I guess that is why there are many companies doing well.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I looked at Rage this year but ended up going with Shwackers. They both had good reviews but overall, Shwacker reviews were better.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well, here is my story from Friday night...

Got to the tree stand around 5pm and got everything situated. I sat silently for a half hour, then the deer started coming. Several small fawns followed by what I would assume is their mothers. They were all outside of my comfortable shooting range. For the next 45 minutes to an hour they would walk around my stand, disappear, and then come back on a different side. They never came close enough for me to shoot. Just before 7, it appeared that all deer in the area had gone to bed down for the evening. I sat patiently hoping that something would come back. Well, shortly after 7 I saw a silhouette moving off to the east across the property line. As time progressed, it continued to get larger and come more into view. It was a decent size 6 point buck. It appeared to follow the path that the does and fawns were taking earlier and stayed just outside my range. Through an act of God, the buck decided to change course just as he was about to walk behind a large amount of foliage and changed course. He came walking right towards me. He stopped and posed perfectly at 25 yards. I though to myself, "This is going to be the first one of my season." I drew my bow back, steadied my body, and aimed through the peep. This deer was mine! I released the arrow and hear a large crack! I knew something was wrong as the buck just looked right at me and then took off in a sprint.

Some say a picture is worth a thousand words... This one may be worth a thousand expletives...
    IMAGE_183F3DDF-3EB7-4B11-807A-B58ED62D4CE4.JPG

IMAGE_D3750ECB-B49A-492F-8223-A5F83FC5EE74.JPG

Brand new Beman arrow with a G5 broadhead lodged into a tree. The ****ing nock broke on release and it went wide left....

Top Bottom