• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    HICKMAN...I ran across this earlier in the season. Pretty informative.

BobFoulkrod.com » Following Blood Trails & Finding Every Buck

My very first deer I hit with a bow, found a blood trail but was never able to recover the deer after about 6 hours of searching over 2 days.

Was your arrow covered in tallow at all? Mine was as well as dark brown hair. I concluded with mine I hit the deer below the spine but missing the vitals.

She was fairly dark colored and I think I spotted her a year later.

Sounds like you are seeing more deer this year. I can't wait to see you get your buck. I think this is the year.

This was a great read, thanks!!

I am seeing more deer this year, I have learned a TON over the last couple of years.

M4Madness turned me on to the book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mapping-Trophy-Bucks-Brad-Herndon/dp/0873495039/ref=la_B001KIR7BQ_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350234291&sr=1-1"]Mapping Trophy Bucks[/ame] and I'm learning how to hunt using topology as well.

Most of all, I'm having a blast. Of course my son thinks it's easy since he killed a doe in under 45 minutes during the youth hunt, lol. He doesn't realize the work I put in to that before his opening day.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    We came back early due to the wind.

Struck out all weekend. In the stand Friday night, had that feeling that something good was about to happen. Wind is right, I'm in a good position and animals are active all around me. At 6:15, here comes the neighbor to harvest his soy bean field. I was hoping maybe it would push deer our way but nothing. They're nocturnal from all the activity and the doe my buddy's 12 year old took. We are gonna lay off the property for the next couple of weeks.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Well that sucks. I just bought some Rages.

I'm hearing a lot more stories of what seem to be good shots with deer not ever going down. Is this true, or is it just because I am in touch with the internet world more this year?

You definately hear alot more stories like this being exposed to the net.

I switched fro the Rages to the 4 blade Slick Trick Magnums. Awesome little broadhead with actual more cutting surface than a 2 blade Rage.

Im figuring what happened in my case is I hit in that void between the vitals and the spine and with only using a two blade it must have cut with the muscle grain thats why the blood trail dried up completely, due to the wound clotting up easier than a cut across the muscle grain.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I know folks debate this, but there is no "void" below the spine. If you put an arrow through a deer, forward of the diaphram and below the spine, that deer is dead.

I shot a doe a couple years ago that proved this to me. The arrow passed just beneath the spine, but also hit both lungs. Thing is, the shot appeared perfect as far as height goes as I watched the arrow hit.

I have come to realize that what you are seeing from a treestand is a little deceiving. Some portion of the deer's back is what you see as the deer's side. So, many people shoot at the middle of the "side" and are actually shooting high of the middle. If you luck out you spine the deer and it drops. If not, you shoot through the deer but OVER the spine. I'm convinced that the great majority of these mythical "void" hits are actually over the spine.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yeah, I've been told that by a few people now, I guess it makes sense.

As I was on the ground making a level shot, she might have ducked a bit and I didn't realize it right away.

Lessons learned.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Keep in mind that if you are in a stand you want to aim for the exit of the arrow. I am up high and the angle to get both lungs good is going to be higher on the entry side.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Well, here is my story from Friday night...

Got to the tree stand around 5pm and got everything situated. I sat silently for a half hour, then the deer started coming. Several small fawns followed by what I would assume is their mothers. They were all outside of my comfortable shooting range. For the next 45 minutes to an hour they would walk around my stand, disappear, and then come back on a different side. They never came close enough for me to shoot. Just before 7, it appeared that all deer in the area had gone to bed down for the evening. I sat patiently hoping that something would come back. Well, shortly after 7 I saw a silhouette moving off to the east across the property line. As time progressed, it continued to get larger and come more into view. It was a decent size 6 point buck. It appeared to follow the path that the does and fawns were taking earlier and stayed just outside my range. Through an act of God, the buck decided to change course just as he was about to walk behind a large amount of foliage and changed course. He came walking right towards me. He stopped and posed perfectly at 25 yards. I though to myself, "This is going to be the first one of my season." I drew my bow back, steadied my body, and aimed through the peep. This deer was mine! I released the arrow and hear a large crack! I knew something was wrong as the buck just looked right at me and then took off in a sprint.

Some say a picture is worth a thousand words... This one may be worth a thousand expletives...
    IMAGE_183F3DDF-3EB7-4B11-807A-B58ED62D4CE4.JPG

IMAGE_D3750ECB-B49A-492F-8223-A5F83FC5EE74.JPG

Brand new Beman arrow with a G5 broadhead lodged into a tree. The ****ing nock broke on release and it went wide left....

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::facepalm::facepalm:

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Its really been a slow year where I hunt. Hunted hard last week and only saw 3 deer.2 does and a spike. Big difference in this year verses last. Saw deer about every outing.Ive seen some good signs ,just must be moving at night. Had my camera on a tree facing my stand and a buck rubbed on a tree 3 feet from the cam,but no pic of him. Bummer ,it was a 5 in cedar tree.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    3 fawns with a med doe at 8:15. Of course only the button buck offered a shot.
    Heavy equipment was fired up at 8 sharp, nearby, and they didn't like it. In fact it spooked them from coming down the trail to where mommy would have died.

Oh well.

Maybe kill her Thursday.....or somebody else...........

picture.php

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    3 fawns with a med doe at 8:15. Of course only the button buck offered a shot.
    Heavy equipment was fired up at 8 sharp, nearby, and they didn't like it. In fact it spooked them from coming down the trail to where mommy would have died.

Oh well.

Maybe kill her Thursday.....or somebody else...........

picture.php

You must have really tall deer, that rub is high on that tree. :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You must have really tall deer, that rub is high on that tree. :D

Appears he reared up a bit and tagged it a couple of times. Tine gouges evident. Found a lot of rubs over the years, heck they used to trash a telephone pole where I used to hunt.

Always scrapes at this transition spot, in same spot this yr. First time I've seen any sizable rub there.

This the highest one I've ever found.

Buddy said he found one ten ft high, but the tree small diameter and obviously was bent over when punished.

Emodude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wanting to Learn

Does anyone know of any clubs that have some sort of teaching program for newby hunters, I have always wanted to learn since I was young and would like to learn how to hunt everything as well as how to field dress it, so I can be more free and live off of the land. Any info that anyone has would be great. Thank you

Top Bottom