• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Well, my deer season is over. I washed all my deer hunting clothes and packed them away until next year.
    Our count this year:
    Dad- nice 9 point (he is still after a doe)
    Me- broke off 6 point and an antlerless
    Son- awesome 10 point

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I have harvested 5 deer so far this year including a real nice buck and my son was also able to harvest his first. I tried out the new rage 2.3 on the last two doe I havested and all I can say is wow!

these doe were some big gals too! the rage 2.3 went through her shoulder at 33 yds pretty impressive!
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Wow! Not a bow hunter, but if I ever start I'm trying that blade. BRUTAL!

I've downed a buck and two doe so far, which leaves me three to go. Nice to have that buck tag filled, still plenty of time in firearms, muzzleloading and bonus season to fill out.

Did have a first with the buck- first deer I've ever shot that just collapsed where it stood. During processing we found that the bullet went through the top of one shoulder, lung, snapped two vertebrae, lung and shoulder. Nice not having to track:D

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    I have been using the rage 100gr 2 blade for a few years now and I have nothing bad to say about them, but these 2.3's fly true and give you just a little more cutting surface. so I think I will be sticking with them from now on. the 2.3's also have a longer tip which appears to offer more penetration which is what I really like because as you can see I hit her about 2'' right which would have normaly ended up in sore shoulder and the deer living but instead she crashed in 50 yds.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Quick question. Will my current doe tag carry over into the bonus antlerless season if I dont fill it? Havent had a lot of time to hunt, and when I have been out, I havent seen a thing. Been rough.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The wife sent me a text at 0740 saying: "Deer, coming toward me. 200 yards"
    I sent her one back that said: "Shoot it!"

About 5 minutes later I hear B O O M !!
    She let go with that 358WSSM that I got her and the deer had come to 80 yards and there it stayed. This is her first antlered deer so, I am really happy for her!
    Not huge, neither was mine, but, nice, real nice! And, she took it all herself!
    Here it is:
    IMG_0188.jpg

That is one happy hunter! Now a weeks rest and then muzzle loader! :D

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well, I packed up my stuff today. A bittersweet day to be sure, but since I have filled the meat freezer there really isn't any reason to continue. No trophies but all good eatin' deer. Good luck to those still out there!

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    My dad and I had a great gun season this year. My dad ended up shooting a 8 point Saturday morning and I ended up taking a 10 point Sunday morning. Both shot with 458 socom!
    1353948631.jpg

1353948604.jpg

BuckSlayer86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    For me its been a really crazy year! The weather hasnt been the best but to me thats ok. Im big on managing my hunting properties and so as long as the small and medium bucks stay on my properties im good with it being warm and not too good. I have just as much fun going out and watching the wildlife as much as I enjoy shooting a 150 class buck. Its about time to get out and start shooting yotes because I have seen more yotes this year than I have in years!!!!! Any of you guys been seeing increase of yotes this year?

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well, today looks to be a wash out. The rain don't bother me as much as the 25 mph wind gusts. Maybe later it will calm down. I'll start getting ready for muzzy season. Hasn't been too bad this year. Haven't seen as many deer as ususal but got a nice doe in bow season with my cross bow I've used for the last six years and another doe in firearms with my .357 MAXIMUM. Have not seen the big buck yet, let a few smaller ones go. They may start looking bigger toward the end of muzzy.:) I may add another doe to the freezer also.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Yes i agree yotes seem to be up in numbers this year.

I agree as well. I've seen at least twice as many coyotes as I have deer this season. If the weather is not too crummy, I'll get out later today and see if I can get a deer, or maybe a couple yotes. Pretty sad when your "deer gun"has taken more coyotes than deer.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Well my firearm season didnt go to well, I saw one deer and that was it. I killed a button buck in October but still have two tags left. I passed on quite a few smaller deer during archery but I'm starting to regret that.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Had my first wall hanger buck in front of me this evening. I skipped the morning half of the hunting after not being able to fall asleep, then woke up at 4am with a fever.

I lazed around most of the day, then on a whim, grabbed my stuff and checked in at 2:30. Took me another 40 minutes to get to the area and I left my stand in the truck, knowing I only had two hours until dark. If anything, I wanted to walk all the way out to the end of this ridge. I scouted there last weekend, but didn't walk far enough in. Saw all the rubs I saw last time and even more the farther in I went. Got to the end of the ridge where it falls off on three sides.... wished I had found this place before the rut.

I do a quick look around, then grab a stump in some thick stuff over looking where one side connect to another. After sitting quietly and discussing the Colts amazing comeback via text with my son, I realize it's just after 5:00 and according to Crane's mil refuge hunt rules, we are supposed to be down and heading back to our vehicles at the official "sundown".

Here he comes.... just like the good Lord sent him to me, coming from my left and crossing over to the middle point that goes down in front me of me. He stops in some thick stuff.... the only shot I had was at the back half, his tail just a wagging away like Michael Jackson's glove. I kept putting my crosshair on his tail, trying to make out his body in the cover, but just couldn't find it.

I was really thing and I could have take a guess and pulled the trigger, but I don't gut shoot deer.

I waited and he finally moved forward a bit offering his MONSTER rack as a headshot. He finally moved forward and I knew it was either right on or just at legal shooting time and he busted me trying to move for a shot. He stared at me a good 20 seconds before showing me his tail again, heading down the hill. He didn't blow, just decided he didn't like something.

I'm glad I didn't risk a shot at the back half just for a set of antlers on the wall. I know the deer would have probably bedded down and died eventually, but the blood trail would have been gone with the rain. I took me all this time to get my little 7 pointer down, not going to start taking crappy shots now.

Honestly, I was extremely happy that I put myself in a position to find this big buck, I consider that a huge victory and progression in my deer hunting.

Will look forward to finding this gentleman again, I will be 25 feet up for next weekend's mil refuge gun hunt, hope to get another crack at him.

Here's a shot of some of the area I was overlooking, to my right.

photobucket-40152-1354499706325.jpg
    [/IMG]

Top Bottom