• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I'm not sure what a "respectable fashion" is, but maybe you can elaborate? As I said, I've not seen an OCer outside of an INGO event, so how many have you seen? And of that number, how many did you witness carrying in what you believe to be a non-proper fashion?[/QUOTE]

A respectable fashion would be carrying it without the intent to start something just goin about your business as usual. A couple months back I was at a Hardees getting breakfast a guy walks in he had his pistol on his hip I didnt have a problem with it so im standing there waiting on my food and I hear the dreaded words from another customer "Are you a cop" and can you have that gun. Then they guy goes crazy its my god given right and just gets all hostile. Even tho im sure its gets old having people ask you questions like that you just gotta keep a cool head and just be polite. As far as the non proper fashion goes that would fall to the "activist" who stage confrontations.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So is that what happened to TF at the zoo? His projecting of feelings made the lady uncomfortable? Or maybe it was a reaction of seeing a gun in a place it was not expected?
    No - what Steel was doing from the comfort of his chair was projecting. What TF did was actually cause fear [irrational or not]. The situation he's posed is extremely uncommon.

Clearly from recent posts in this thread actually seeing OC 'in the wild' is very rare and it is not surprising that some folks(maybe many) have no idea of the possibility of that behavior being legal.
    I would agree.

I don't think I have seen anyone state that you should never OC (in this thread). More of just perhaps being considerate to others should a situation arise where it might do more harm then good (to the overall big picture of promoting gun rights) to absolutely refuse to compromise.
    True, but that's preaching conformity when in the real world, if I want to say "No" to a polite request, I will do so.

I have never been asked to cover my weapon, but when I am as I am sure I will eventually be, I'll make sure and let everybody know how I chose to handle it.

What I, and I think others fear is that refusing to ever compromise to even the most benign request may help undo the positive direction the rights of gun owners (at least in Indiana) have been able to enjoy.
    Nobody is saying there should be an OC parade, but some are saying that we should hide it because others have irrational fears.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    "Poster" is not a phrase I've heard before describing someone who uses a forum. In retrospect, it kind of a stretch but I see it now.

There have been no solid points made by yourself or your comrades. I'm still waiting for you to provide an epic post that I am supposed to debunk.

It's very convenient that you are taking the "high ground" now.

Maybe Que can answer his own posts from now on.

It's a "stretch" that one who "posts" is a "poster"? :dunno:

Is it also a stretch that one who drives is a driver, one who shoots is a shooter, one who shops is a shopper?

<redacted>

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ok, so long as you concede defeat, we're golden! j/k

You've done well trying to engage the root of the topic. Sorry they're dodging the logic and reasoning of your posts and only want to dwell on their own feelings and opinions.
    Indeed, all the while I'm doing my best to keep my opinions and emotions out of the discussion to focus on the core of the topic.

Doesn't make for very interesting discussion, does it? :(
    It's been "entertaining," but I would much prefer interesting.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What was the definition of dog piling again?

This...

AT-120229-puppies-01.photoblog600.jpg

Or maybe this...

9611872-a-pile-of-hot-dogs-on-a-white-plate.jpg

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Why aren't they on INGO? Are yo ashamed of us? :rolleyes:

:laugh:
    LOL, many just aren't big internet people. Others aren't forum people and some just aren't "people" people. I know several who are "members" here but just simply don't get on largely because of people acting like some have on this thread for example.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    LOL, many just aren't big internet people. Others aren't forum people and some just aren't "people" people. I know several who are "members" here but just simply don't get on largely because of people acting like some have on this thread for example.

i can only imagine the mental depression i make people endure. i wouldnt want to deal with me either.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Is there a CC thread on INGO where we can go and complain about those that feel a need to hide their guns? Where we can accuse them of being sneaks? A thread where we can call them out for being gun hiders because they don't want anyone to know they beleive in the 2nd Ammendment?

There isn't? I wonder why not? Oh, maybe it's becuase we don't feel a need to tell others how to live their lives. It's because we don't care how a weapon is carried, as long as it is carried.

Maybe some on this forum should learn to mind their own business and stay out of mine. I don't need your wise guidance, your condescending remarks or any other "help" on how I choose to carry.

Thanks anyway, though.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Why do OCer's automatically think that a criminal seing their gun is going to stop dead in his tracks and run the other way?? Most criminals arent afraid of weekend warriors packing guns if they got their mind set on something. If a man comes into rob a gas station and you dont see him until its too late but he saw your gun from the parking lot and shot you coming thru the door what good is that. Now if it was covered and he came in the door and didnt see it he may just tell you to get down on the floor and proceed robbing the store at which point you will have a decision to make to get involved or let it ride. I believe 95% of OCer's just want attention and are not out to "stand up for our rights".

Because, it happened to me. All 4 of them, after one drew a knife, ran off when I turned and put my hand on my gun (holster was on opposite from them so they couldn't see it). I am thankful I didn't have to fire.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Is there a CC thread on INGO where we can go and complain about those that feel a need to hide their guns? Where we can accuse them of being sneaks? A thread where we can call them out for being gun hiders because they don't want anyone to know they beleive in the 2nd Ammendment?

There isn't? I wonder why not? Oh, maybe it's becuase we don't feel a need to tell others how to live their lives. It's because we don't care how a weapon is carried, as long as it is carried.

Maybe some on this forum should learn to mind their own business and stay out of mine. I don't need your wise guidance, your condescending remarks or any other "help" on how I choose to carry.

Thanks anyway, though.

:yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

Bravo sir, BRAVO !!!

REP inbound.

I've said it a million times, on here and other places. We live in one of the "free-est" states there is. WHY, WHY do some feel the need to **** ***** and moan about how someelse carries their firearm?? Its absolutly dumbfounding to me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm late to the party (as usual), but since you threw this out there....

Why do OCer's automatically think that a criminal seing their gun is going to stop dead in his tracks and run the other way??
    We don't.
    Most criminals arent afraid of weekend warriors packing guns if they got their mind set on something.
    Actually, there have been several studies on the criminal mind, and how they select victims. Number 1, above all others, is the likelihood of success. If the potential victim may fight back, most criminals will move on.
    If a man comes into rob a gas station and you dont see him until its too late but he saw your gun from the parking lot and shot you coming thru the door what good is that.
    I've heard this situation quoted many times, but have NEVER heard of it actually happening. Ever. This isn't TV or some bloackbuster movie. See my reply above. In all likelihood, if the criminal sees someone able and willing to put up a fight, he/she will wait for a better opportunity.
    Now if it was covered and he came in the door and didnt see it he may just tell you to get down on the floor and proceed robbing the store at which point you will have a decision to make to get involved or let it ride.
    Yep. Always better to be a victim. :rolleyes:
    I believe 95% of OCer's just want attention and are not out to "stand up for our rights".
    Then you believe wrong. Simple as that.

I OC for many reasons. It is a minor deterrent, it is a conversation starter, it is my right, it is more comfortable, and damn it, that's how I choose to carry.

Yeah, sometimes I conceal, too. You want to complain about that as well?

Some people....

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    They dont OC for that reason Matt, its mostly a comfort / love handle thing.

It is simply more comfortable to OC.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    its mostly a comfort / love handle thing.
    For me, it's about the length of the barrel on my guns. I tend to EDC my Sig p226 which is a full-frame pistol - when worn IWB in a fashion that it's fully concealed, it's not super comfortable especially if I'm sitting or really moving around :).

When I do CC by choice, I tend to CC the XDM-9 3.8 due to it's slightly shorter barrel, but it's still way less comfortable than OC'ing :).

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sat it loud, say it proud! You have rights and everyone needs to know about them.
    They don't have to like my rights, but they DO have to respect them. Just like you (or anyone else) has the right to stand on the street corner and scream, "The end is nigh, the end is nigh." I may not like it, and it might scare my kids, but it's your right, so I have to live with it.

OC isn't bad in and of itself. It's the "activists" that paint a poor picture. I would venture to guess that's a lifetime pinnacle achievement for some. To me, most are trying to carry their "man business" on their hips and make a misguided attempt at being the Marlon Brando of the Second Amendment.
    So your problem is with the mental intent of the person? Are you clairvoyant that you can look at somebody OCing and know what their intent is?

Personally, I don't want to be lumped in with Barney and Cletus or their parades and phallic imagery.

The OC "activists" simply do not care how they present information. Education is not "F you buddy I'll carry my "deagle" into any Build-a-Bear Workshop I choose".
    Actually, I WILL carry my "deagle" into any Build-a-Bear I want, unless/until they ask me to leave, since it's private property I would respect their wishes and leave without argument (although I'd probably hand the manager a No Guns/No $ card as I walked out with my 4 kids and the $ I was going to spend there....) How does my exercising the right to OC equate to "F you buddy" but anybody else exercising their rights isn't an "F you buddy?"

So you're saying... you're Bi-C.
    ;)
    I'm sorry, but that's just funny!

My opinion of the OC activists is that they are going about things the wrong way. Most of what they do is bravado and posturing. Their inability to be flexible with the public is a detriment to the 2A community.
    My opinion is that people like you, who are scared to exercise your rights for fear of offending somebody are a detriment to the 2A community.

No, I OC at times, but I'm not going to cause a scene while carrying a handgun. Especially when children are involved. Parents have to be extremely cautious nowadays. We're not in Mayberry anymore.
    You're right, we DO have to be extremely cautious nowadays, that's one of the reasons that when my children and I are out in public there is ALWAYS a gun on my person, that's THE most effective tool available for protecting my kids, and I'll carry it in whatever manner allows me to most effectively use it, often times that's OC.

I want to gently coax the fence sitters. Not bombard them with my rights.
    How is exercising a right bombarding somebody with it?

A respectable fashion would be carrying it without the intent to start something just goin about your business as usual. A couple months back I was at a Hardees getting breakfast a guy walks in he had his pistol on his hip I didnt have a problem with it so im standing there waiting on my food and I hear the dreaded words from another customer "Are you a cop" and can you have that gun. Then they guy goes crazy its my god given right and just gets all hostile. Even tho im sure its gets old having people ask you questions like that you just gotta keep a cool head and just be polite. As far as the non proper fashion goes that would fall to the "activist" who stage confrontations.
    So because you don't like the way the guy verbally responded to a single situation your think that people shouldn't OC? Guess what, I've never "lost it" on somebody asking me about my gun, nor have any of the multitude of OCers that I know.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    No - what Steel was doing from the comfort of his chair was projecting. What TF did was actually cause fear [irrational or not]. The situation he's posed is extremely uncommon.

Just to clarify a very common problem of people putting their own IDEAS into someone else's FACT this is an incorrect assumption.

According to the depositions of police and zoo personel there was NO fear by ANYONE on scene that day. The Zoo personel wanted to know if it was legal like I told them and they called 911and the cops handled it wrong. No scared children, no panicked parents. That is merely the overactive imagination of people trying to slander me.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What if most OCers don't really care about attention or the lack thereof from the general population which means them no harm?

What if they just don't have any compelling reason to want to hide their gun from view?

Why would that be such a sore spot for some people who do choose to hide theirs from view?

Do those people really need for everyone else to buy into the supremacy of their opinions and choices?

Is that why they typically project such nonsensical strawman reasons onto those who choose differently?

The world may never know...

Top Bottom