• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Granted, and of course I cannot say there were no One Eyed, One Horned Flying Purple People Eaters there that day at the zoo either (I didn't quite make it to all of the exibits :laugh:)

The point is that it was not fear that motivated the zoo staff to call the police and it was not fear that motivated the police to kick me off the property.

I hope you do make it for the trial or at least one day of it! Support is always a good thing.

They have them there, you just didn't get to see all of the zoo. The said it wouldn't come out of its cage for 3 days because it was scared of guns and 5 year old girls

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    So... help me understand -- how is this kind of post materially different than the OP that started this whole thing? I struggle with the word 'attack' that's being thrown around now, but I'm missing how the OP is an 'attack' but this one isn't.

And I'm so. tired. of. this. pointless. argument. The threads around it are like a train wreck that you don't even want to read... but you HAVE to.

The OP: [Why do OCer's automatically think that a criminal seing their gun is going to stop dead in his tracks and run the other way??

I believe 95% of OCer's just want attention and are not out to "stand up for our rights".]

The OP is making blanket statements of "truth" about how we that OC think and act.

My post merely posits the question of motivation of those that disparage OCers.

No one has criticized (or attacked) any CCer in this thread that I have seen.

ETA: I don't care how anyone carries. If you want to conceal, do it. If you want it out on the fresh air, do it.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Firstly....wow...epic thread there OP, way to introduce yourself :).

Nextly:

Thats fine but you know that people do it to get attention

I OC and no I do not. I OC for reasons of comfort and deterrent. That deterrent may not work when I want it to. The bad guy may not care. That said my gun has a very small chance of not working when I want it to. All guns do, but that is not a reason to not carry it.

That said, I bank on the deterrent working as I lose nothing if it doesn't. The same result would have occured if I was not OCing. In light of that I want people to see it, I want bad guys to notice it and consider their plan in relation to the fact that they now know that I have teeth and am not a soft target.

So I do want people to notice it. Exactly what I DON'T want is attention. I want OC to be common place and "normal". Not because I want to try to force everyone to carry in that manner everyone has the right to choose how they carry, but I want to be able to exercise the right without people freaking the hell out. I want to be able to walk through Best Buy and NOT be all OMG look at that guy he has a gun!

I want the opposite of attention and people treat me just like everyone else because the sight of a firearm is not uncommon and therefore not a reason to give attention to me in anyway regarding it. Instead view me as just a guy doing his shopping and chooses to protect himself. No reason for attention at all.

This is my opinion YMMV.

So your blanket statment of "they" in refference to OCers does not apply very well to me, I also suspect the same is true of quite a few members of this forum who also carry in the same manner. Whether you choose to take that as fact is of course your choice.

But let me posit this to you. Lets assume there is a member here that does in fact OC for the sole purpose of garnering attention from others to feel better about themselves in some way. What do you think the chances are of one of them going "Yup!, I carry my weapon around like this so people will freak out and call the cops"?

In my opinion slim to none. Your origional post had only one possible outcome and your looking at it. The only possible end to it is death via boredom and time.

Last edited:

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    No, you don't. You've already made up your mind that OCers are just trying to get attention. Your two posts in this thread have so far ascribed a number of psychological analyses to "95% of OCers" with absolutely no basis in fact other than your personal feelings on the matter. You capped it off with an insulting tone that implied that OCers are tactically foolish or simply attention whores. Please tell me how that is "whole heartedly support<ing> either decision".

Did you give up your mod job just to irritate the populous? I read your worthless rant about IT problems... and let it slide.

You have flamed me twice in the past for the same kind of comment you just made. Be nice, BE kind, Be courteous, or just Shut up.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    133645231530.gif

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm just gonna pull up a seat and have a snack...Carry on. :popcorn:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Did you give up your mod job just to irritate the populous? I read your worthless rant about IT problems... and let it slide.

You have flamed me twice in the past for the same kind of comment you just made. Be nice, BE kind, Be courteous, or just Shut up.
    Just thought I would quote this for posterity's sake. Back to snack'n. :popcorn:

(I need a juice box)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I believe 95% of OCer's just want attention and are not out to "stand up for our rights".

You're post is not only short sighted but also very judgmental of your fellow gun owners. How do you make a statement that the only motivation that thousands and thousands of people who OC have is a selfish one, i.e "for the attention". The way I see it, you better be prepared to stand up for your rights when you OC. So far, it hasn't been an issue with me, but I have heard many stories of harrassment and intimidation. I personally would never want that kind of "attention". Besides, my experience has been that most people do not notice me at all, whether I OC or not, and I am just fine with that LACK of attention.

Look, if we don't practice our rights, we will lose them. I have said it before, our government is targetting our 1st and 2nd Amendment rights. When I OC, I am standing up for the rights guaranteed by the Constitution not only for myself, but for all Americans. I don't have any special privileges or rights that any one else doesn't have. We have to stand together. Whatever rights we have or lose, we keep or lose as a nation, not just as individuals.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Granted, and of course I cannot say there were no One Eyed, One Horned Flying Purple People Eaters there that day at the zoo either (I didn't quite make it to all of the exibits :laugh:)

The point is that it was not fear that motivated the zoo staff to call the police and it was not fear that motivated the police to kick me off the property.

I hope you do make it for the trial or at least one day of it! Support is always a good thing.

Is there a dress code, or can we wear our OC/CC shirts? ;)

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I just got home from OCing. I went to the bank, FedEx, then Great Clips. I did conceal in Great Clips because they put an apron on me. That wasn't my choice. The mother with her two young sons, and the father with his daughter, didn't seem to mind. No one was put off by it.

The cop at the bank kinda knows me by now, and as always, was friendly. Of the four different cops I've seen there, no one has been rude, and three have been very nice, and none have mentioned the Glock. The bank is the only place I've ever gone where no one has said anything. So far, everywhere else, I get the usual questions, and greetings from fellow gun owners, but no negatives so far.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

No, I gave up the mod job because I was tired of putting up with self-entitled twerps. Talk about worthless rants... :rolleyes:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Thats fine but you know that people do it to get attention

Why do you even care?

I don't OC for attention. Much like everyone else here has said I OC for comfort and to defend my RIGHT to carry. You don't like OC we get it. Don't OC then, I don't care how you carry, but don't get your panties in a wad over my preferred method of carry. What's next getting offended because I don't like a Glock, or because I don't carry in the type of holster you like, hell just tell me which pants and shoes you prefer. I don't want to offend you so I will just dress like you also. Get over yourself.

Top Bottom