• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Why do OCer's automatically think that a criminal seing their gun is going to stop dead in his tracks and run the other way?? Most criminals arent afraid of weekend warriors packing guns if they got their mind set on something. If a man comes into rob a gas station and you dont see him until its too late but he saw your gun from the parking lot and shot you coming thru the door what good is that. Now if it was covered and he came in the door and didnt see it he may just tell you to get down on the floor and proceed robbing the store at which point you will have a decision to make to get involved or let it ride. I believe 95% of OCer's just want attention and are not out to "stand up for our rights".

As a personal choice, I do not OC because . . . well, it's my choice. Just as I expect anyone to accept my personal choice to CC, I accept the choice of others who OC. But, do you respect and accept the decision of the 5% of OCers who carry in that fashion just to "stand up for our rights?"

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Please clarify....Is everyone that OC's an "activist"? IF NOT, how does one tell the difference between the two?

No, I OC at times, but I'm not going to cause a scene while carrying a handgun. Especially when children are involved. Parents have to be extremely cautious nowadays. We're not in Mayberry anymore.

I want to gently coax the fence sitters. Not bombard them with my rights.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    No, I OC at times, but I'm not going to cause a scene while carrying a handgun. Especially when children are involved. Parents have to be extremely cautious nowadays. We're not in Mayberry anymore.
    You're projecting your fear of people you do not know carrying weapons [legally] onto others [parents of children around you].

I've been around small children and their parents while OC thousands of times without issue, because I never make an issue out of it. If I were asked to leave due to OC'ing, then I would do just that - so long as the request comes from the property owner.

You can't have it both ways. You've labeled those of us that OC as "activists" but only when it's not you doing it - that's hypocrisy at it's finest.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    As a personal choice, I do not OC because . . . well, it's my choice. Just as I expect anyone to accept my personal choice to CC, I accept the choice of others who OC. But, do you respect and accept the decision of the 5% of OCers who carry in that fashion just to "stand up for our rights?"

Absolutely they havent commited a crime its their right.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Steelman, when I first moved to Indiana, I went to a Chinese Buffet where a guy was sitting in his chair with a .44 strapped to his hip. I was not at all familiar with the laws of Indiana, having just arrived from NC (Fort Bragg). I stared at him and he stared at me. It wasn't meant to be rude, but I just didn't know what was going on or what he intended to to.

Well, he ate his food and left. I got with my commander and learned that OC was legal in Indiana and never turned back. I probably would not have known that it was legal to carry in Indiana had it not been for that one day. Since then, I have NEVER seen another OCer in my daily activities, outside of INGO.

So, even though I wasn't a fence sitter, I was still ignorant of the law and most times people are not interested in the laws that do not directly effect them. I'm glad I ran into that OCer.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    So, even though I wasn't a fence sitter, I was still ignorant of the law and most times people are not interested in the laws that do not directly effect them. I'm glad I ran into that OCer.
    I can also say myself that I have never seen another OCer besides myself that wasn't an on-duty officer in all of the years I've lived here.

I've had a lot of positive experiences, and no negative experiences so far. I once had a woman who came up to me and asked if the gun was real or a squirtgun. I chuckled and told her that it was real, and she proceeded to explain that her son said it couldn't be real and that it had to be a squirtgun.

The boy had to be maybe 5 or 6. I told him that if he was good and followed the law that when he was an adult he could carry a gun too if he wanted, to which he said, "Reeeaaaallyyyyyyy?" It was a pretty good laugh for me, him, and his mom - and I do not know either of them. Obviously he wasn't old enough to understand the gravity of what I said, but the seed was planted that not all men with guns are bad.

I've heard more jokes like, "Well if the zombies come, I know who my best friend is." than anything else.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    You're projecting your fear of people you do not know carrying weapons [legally] onto others [parents of children around you].

I've been around small children and their parents while OC thousands of times without issue, because I never make an issue out of it. If I were asked to leave due to OC'ing, then I would do just that - so long as the request comes from the property owner.

You can't have it both ways. You've labeled those of us that OC as "activists" but only when it's not you doing it - that's hypocrisy at it's finest.

What if the property owner was a city park? Would you file lawsuit at the expense of the tax payers?

Did you know these families with small children personally? If not, were you merely passing by them in Wal-Mart or spending the day with them at the zoo/(insert recreational activity here)?

I'm not an OC activist, but if it is convenient to do so, I carry openly. I would not open carry in a bank. Just seems like the wrong venue to do so.

Am I some kind of red commie for not open carrying in a bank and advising other not to do so as well?

Still.....no epic points.......no "derogatory" posts..........this is fruitless. Sleep seems to be more intellectually stimulating at this point.

Hope you find someone else to argue with. :yesway:;):yesway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Absolutely they havent commited a crime its their right.

So, what crime has the 95% committed? You will never know if a criminal has been deterred simply because there was someone present OCing. I always say there would be less holdups if criminals walked into an establishment and saw 10 people OCing. But, what if it only takes one?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I find this funny because I've often encountered children with parents when I'm "out and about" OC'ing as I usually do. Just tonight even, my wife wanted to stop in at the Cold Stone Creamery. I held the door open for her and a lady who was with her two children. We were in front of her in the line and they obviously noticed both my wife and I OC'ing (as usual). I could hear the little boy ask his mom, " are those REAL guns?" His mom very politely said something to the effect of "yes, but hush don't be rude." I couldn't quite hear what she said exactly. Then I heard the boy say, "That's so cool." :rockwoot:

I would have been glad to educate them or even offer to take them to a range sometime, had the opportunity came up. But, it didn't. She didn't ask me anything and seemed happy minding her business so I left it alone.

So, is this "cramming it down their throats?" When they obviously want to learn otherwise they wouldn't confront you in the first place.

More often then not, this leads to opportunities to educate, the people DO ask questions and it sparks their interest. It's important to let THEM guide the conversation. BUT, you simply don't get those opportunities to educate or "coax the fence sitters" when you don't provide that "spark" ( OC'ing ). :twocents:

Good night ladies and gents.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    So, what crime has the 95% committed? You will never know if a criminal has been deterred simply because there was someone present OCing. I always say there would be less holdups if criminals walked into an establishment and saw 10 people OCing. But, what if it only takes one?

They havent committed any crime either. I just believe alot of them do it to look cool. Now everyone has gotten all up in arms about it probably becasue most people on this forum do it in a respectable fashion but many people out there dont.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    What if the property owner was a city park? Would you file lawsuit at the expense of the tax payers?
    Due to the preemption law, I'd tell them to "pound sand."
    Chapter 11.1. Local Regulation of Firearms, Ammunition, and Firearm Accessories
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies to a political subdivision (as defined in IC 3-5-2-38).
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.
    Did you know these families with small children personally? If not, were you merely passing by them in Wal-Mart or spending the day with them at the zoo/(insert recreational activity here)?
    Some yes, a great many of them not. I have been to the zoo, parks, wal-mart, etc... Here I go quoting myself (it's on the same page, but I'll save you some trouble) showing just one positive experience where I was in a place with small children and their parents.
    I once had a woman who came up to me and asked if the gun was real or a squirtgun. I chuckled and told her that it was real, and she proceeded to explain that her son said it couldn't be real and that it had to be a squirtgun.

The boy had to be maybe 5 or 6. I told him that if he was good and followed the law that when he was an adult he could carry a gun too if he wanted, to which he said, "Reeeaaaallyyyyyyy?" It was a pretty good laugh for me, him, and his mom - and I do not know either of them. Obviously he wasn't old enough to understand the gravity of what I said, but the seed was planted that not all men with guns are bad.

I'm not an OC activist, but if it is convenient to do so, I carry openly. I would not open carry in a bank. Just seems like the wrong venue to do so.
    I carry in the bank all the time. Being rational people, they realize that just because I have a gun, does not mean that I intend upon using it against them.

Am I some kind of red commie for not open carrying in a bank and advising other not to do so as well?
    You are welcome to do or not do what you wish, and to advise what you wish, but nobody has to do as you do or take your advice. If you agree, no need to respond to this statement.

Still.....no epic points.......no "derogatory" posts..........this is fruitless. Sleep seems to be more intellectually stimulating at this point.
    I'm not going to go back to point out my points, or your derogatory posts. If you want to see it, you're just as capable of going back and finding it as me.

Argue? Nah... Debate? Sure - I love a good debate. Debates and discussions go hand in hand, and this is a discussion forum.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    They havent committed any crime either. I just believe alot of them do it to look cool. Now everyone has gotten all up in arms about it probably becasue most people on this forum do it in a respectable fashion but many people out there dont.

No, I believe there are very few OCers on INGO. That's not to say that many of us may choose to wear the Raven with a t-shirt tucked in once in a while, but most of the time, I believe a great majority conceal in some fashion.

Granted, there are some guys/gals that OC just to look cool. There are even some people who CC just to feel cool. Either way, it's their choice.

I'm not sure what a "respectable fashion" is, but maybe you can elaborate? As I said, I've not seen an OCer outside of an INGO event, so how many have you seen? And of that number, how many did you witness carrying in what you believe to be a non-proper fashion?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Shouldn't you be regurgitating case law that your lawyer mentioned? I'm anxiously awaiting a photo of the Jr. Litigator badge he's presenting you with.

I would task you with not smearing the names of good, responsible gun owners with your "slip-and-fall" legal shenanigans.

Maybe I already work for the NSA. :)

He could've untucked his shirt as a courtesy. End of story.

The taxpayers foot the bill. I have no idea how any Republican/Conservative/Libertarian can get behind this.

Of course he does not come out and say "I'm a hero". Read his posts, they are full of melodrama and perceived sacrifice for the greater good of the 2A community. He is doing this for "us".

The Hero of [STRIKE]Canton[/STRIKE] Evansville! [STRIKE]Jayne Cobb[/STRIKE] Titanium Frost!

If I were in a petting zoo, with children running around, and a mother asked me if I could cover up my handgun - I would gladly comply. I see it as a courtesy to my fellow human being. I don't need to flop it out there and tell everyone to pound sand.

There are about 3.4 bajillion people responding to my threads. If I overlooked your "Masterpiece" - I'm truly sorry. PM the post number to me and I'll gladly respond point-by-point.

I had no idea anyone cared this much about what I thought or typed.:dunno:

So in your Wal-Mart and gas station "classrooms" how many students have graduated from the "kidd03 School of Law".

Are you just roaming around looking for people to hear your story? I'd like to hear the success stories from your educational OC crusades.

Or are you just replying that it is legal?

So they're scared of firearms that have been known to cause 12,000 deaths in the United States annually and this relates to Nasim the Computer Programmer turning out to be a nice guy once you get to know him?:n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b:

NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

Put down the thesaurus, sir. You've stretched your vocabulary beyond the specs.

So where is this "Masterpiece" thread of yours that would bring down the walls of Jericho upon me with your trumpet blasts of logic?

You argument seems to be:

Imma do what I wanna do and no one's gonna stop me cause I'm grown and I have rights and no one's gonna infringe upon mah rights cause I'm grown and they can pound sand.

Run on sentence intended.

I hate to :horse: but a handful of sources for THIS^^^^ are supplied above. Also, note for brevity's sake that I believe "derogatory" might be getting mixed up with "condescending" in a few cases and I only grabbed a few quick ones and didn't waste more time going through every page. Not that I really care, but you asked for the posts.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    No, I believe there are very few OCers on INGO. That's not to say that many of us may choose to wear the Raven with a t-shirt tucked in once in a while, but most of the time, I believe a great majority conceal in some fashion.

Granted, there are some guys/gals that OC just to look cool. There are even some people who CC just to feel cool. Either way, it's their choice.

I'm not sure what a "respectable fashion" is, but maybe you can elaborate? As I said, I've not seen an OCer outside of an INGO event, so how many have you seen? And of that number, how many did you witness carrying in what you believe to be a non-proper fashion?
    Likewise, I know or have met MANY people who OC that are not on INGO

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.

So is that what happened to TF at the zoo? His projecting of feelings made the lady uncomfortable? Or maybe it was a reaction of seeing a gun in a place it was not expected?

Clearly from recent posts in this thread actually seeing OC 'in the wild' is very rare and it is not surprising that some folks(maybe many) have no idea of the possibility of that behavior being legal.

I don't think I have seen anyone state that you should never OC (in this thread). More of just perhaps being considerate to others should a situation arise where it might do more harm then good (to the overall big picture of promoting gun rights) to absolutely refuse to compromise.
    What I, and I think others fear is that refusing to ever compromise to even the most benign request may help undo the positive direction the rights of gun owners (at least in Indiana) have been able to enjoy.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Good point to close this thread. Seems both sides have slipped into personal attacks,
    condescension and otherwise snide remarks in an attempt to defend their positions.
    Nothing positive seems to have been accomplished here today.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Oh no, now we've done it. ATM is here! :):
    You wanna discuss this?

Ha! No. :D

You've done well trying to engage the root of the topic. Sorry they're dodging the logic and reasoning of your posts and only want to dwell on their own feelings and opinions.

Doesn't make for very interesting discussion, does it? :(

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom