Not open for further replies.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    "Push The Law To The Limit....."

Now, when the officer starts asking you questions like, can I see some ID, and you refuse because you don't legally have to provide it...... that's "Trying to get arrested"

That's ridiculous, if by law I'm not required to identify myself then I'm trying to get arrested by following the law?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Rosa Parks may have been "trying to get arrested" too...

Just sayin..

I read that once tonight. All history indicates she was just tired and fed up, having a simple courtesy denied simply because of the color of her skin. Because she was light-skinned, educated and came from the "right" family, she became the face of the movement to fight for, not only simply courtesies, but the same Constitutional rights afforded to all Americans. She was not trying to get arrested.

If this analogy is used on the day of the event, I would hope someone can affectively communicate the rights that are currently being denied to gun owners in Indiana.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    HELL NO!
    It's a terrible idea!

Shock and fear is not the way. Nothing positive can come from this. Save for some to think they will turn into Internet heroes.

You want to be positive and educate, then be positive and educate.
    Start your organization
    Do positive events that benefit the community, litter clean up, fundrasers, etc.
    Contact the media yourself with someone who represents well and gets their attention.
    then get the **** off this thread!

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Joe, I completely understand what you are saying. It is legal for us to carry. Agreed, 100%.
    Here's what I see happening that will flush this whole event:
    PD will more than likely ID everyone, and check LTCH. I understand they shouldn't/can't. Lets just say they do. You don't have yours. Now what? Now you are *illegal* as per the laws of Indiana as they stand. I'm not arguing should/could be, AS they are now.
    So what is going to be on the News at 10 o'clock? You arguing with the PD about your 'rights' getting handcuffed. I understand your belief in doing that is right, I applaud it. But is it what is best for the MOVEMENT? Wouldn't it be better for the news to say, "An open carry event was put on today to emphasize the 2nd amendment, and was a peaceful event." ??
    Small steps, is what I'm saying.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    Joe, I completely understand what you are saying. It is legal for us to carry. Agreed, 100%.
    PD will more than likely ID everyone, and check LTCH. I understand they shouldn't/can't. Lets just say they do. You don't have yours. Now what? Now you are *illegal* as per the laws of Indiana as they stand. I'm not arguing should/could be, AS they are now.
    So what is going to be on the News at 10 o'clock? You arguing with the PD about your 'rights' getting handcuffed. I understand your belief in doing that is right, I applaud it. But is it what is best for the MOVEMENT? Wouldn't it be better for the news to say, "An open carry event was put on today to emphasize the 2nd amendment, and was a peaceful event." ??
    Small steps, is what I'm saying.
    well said!!!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    NO IT IS NOT!!!
    It's exercising our rights. Pure and simple. I am WILLING to be arrested in the course of exercising and fighting for my rights. But I'd be ecstatic if police officers obeyed the law and did not harass free Americans violating no law.

That's ridiculous, if by law I'm not required to identify myself then I'm trying to get arrested by following the law?

Lots of people get arrested for following the law.

West Allis, WI man arrested in his own yard for open carrying his handgun in accordance with Wisconsin State Law.

Was he Right, Yes. Did West Allis PD get thumped by a judge for it, yes. Does that change the fact he was arrested? Nope.

I'm out.....

I'll happily pick up all the off topic (to the organization) talk and put it in a new thread for you.

There are a number of people posting in this thread who are 180 degrees opposite another number of people in this thread on their views. Like a great many other topics, it's extremely unlikely either camp will be swayed into seeing the other's point of view regardless of how good the arguments or evidence is.

I fall into one of those groups, and will happily remove myself from any further argument on the topic. I can't more clearly express my views than I have already.

Anyone who would like to continue the discussion with me is welcome to PM me. I harbor no ill feelings towards anyone in regards to this event. Even with the heartburn talking to the media brought.

The trimming of this thread will be complete within the hour.
    No posts will be deleted. Just moved.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

If this analogy is used on the day of the event, I would hope someone can affectively communicate the rights that are currently being denied to gun owners in Indiana.

The ability to have lunch together (peaceably assemble, IOW,) in full compliance with the law, without being handcuffed would be one example of rights being denied to gun owners.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Poc you need no ID if you aren't breaking the law, OCing a long gun is perfectly legal, I plan on just carrying my rifle and no handgun therefore I won't be giving the cops my ID

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    PD will more than likely ID everyone, and check LTCH. I understand they shouldn't/can't. Lets just say they do. You don't have yours. Now what? Now you are *illegal* as per the laws of Indiana as they stand. snip.

No sir, I am most empatically NOT "illegal" as per the laws of Indiana if I choose not to carry my LTCH or any other ID with me, so long as I am not carrying a hangun. I do not intend to carry a handgun.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I read that once tonight. All history indicates she was just tired and fed up, having a simple courtesy denied simply because of the color of her skin. Because she was light-skinned, educated and came from the "right" family, she became the face of the movement to fight for, not only simply courtesies, but the same Constitutional rights afforded to all Americans. She was not trying to get arrested.

[STRIKE]You haven't read the City Market thread, have you? [/STRIKE]:dunno:

Never mind, misread Que's intent...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Lots of people get arrested for following the law.

West Allis, WI man arrested in his own yard for open carrying his handgun in accordance with Wisconsin State Law.

Was he Right, Yes. Did West Allis PD get thumped by a judge for it, yes. Does that change the fact he was arrested? Nope.

snip

How else does one stop illegal government activity within the confines of our law, other than confronting it while behaving in an absolutely legal manner?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom