• ...and so much more!
  • lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I can't think of any feelings that I would consider rights. :dunno:

Perhaps the pursuit of those feelings are "rights", such as the pursuit of happiness or the pursuit of safety. But one's right to pursue any feeling ends when they infringe on my rights, such as my right to keep and bear arms.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    ****UPDATE****

I went to the Sheriffs Department today to file a formal complaint.

Interesting response from them. Normally they would be a bit more ambiguous. Making statements like, "we will be sure to look into this..." "An investigation will be made into the matter..." etc. etc.

The fact that he openly made those comments makes me a bit suspicious and it's possible that they have had problems with this reservist before or maybe the guy just doesn't like reservists. I am surprised that departments still have them actually. Back in the early to mid 90s my old dept. was phasing them out, mostly due to "training issues" and possible liability problems. The two that were left only did parade, fair, and traffic details.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Looks like our legislature has another problem to correct in the next session. "There ought to be a law" that requires all state, county and municipal branches of government to post signs at all doors, entrances, gates, service roads, etc that clearly states something to the effect that "This is public property as pertains to IC SB292". Then if a private entity is leasing or renting it for an even they must post a no-firearms sign clearly at the same entrances as the govt sign. There should be no question on the status of the property so these kinds of encounters never happen again. Does that sound like too much to ask of our government units? So what. They think nothing of assanine requirements that businesses post all types of signs with all types of warnings on what you can or cannot do and don't seem to consider the time or cost to us.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Never had any dealings with this particular individual but I will be keeping an eye out. Never had any trouble with the police here in Argos in the 10 years I've been here.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Holy **** that is funny!!! and sadly enough my youngest daughter has done that before!
    Not to thread jack but how about your priest coming up to you after Mass and reaching in to pat your side and landing his hand squarely on the butt of your G23 in a cross draw holster under your shirt. My toes curled and I about deficated on the spot. I don't think he had any idea what he did.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    She knows that when I'm cc'ing, she's not supposed to draw attention to my pistol, so she started calling it my "thing" instead of my "gun" (rather than just not mentioning it at all). She made several...unfortunate...comments in that regard (that you can work out for yourself) over the course of a week or so as my wife and I struggled with how to correct her behavior. Subtlety is not a 9-year-old's strong suit. She's since grown a bit and gotten a bit wiser and has started to learn a little bit of discretion.
    Teach her a name for it. My wife asks if I have "Bill." That was her father's name and he always carried a little .32 revolver.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Why shouldn't this reserve officer be held personally accountable for his actions? If I'm at work and mouth off to a customer and do so with bad information, you can bet for sure that I'll be held accountable and probably fired for it. Why should this officer get a pass? IT'S HIS JOB TO KNOW THE LAW.

Granted, there's a LOT of law to know, and there's no way to be an expert in all aspects of it, but that doesn't excuse him being unprofessional. Had he not been a jerk about it, likely this would not even have been a thread on INGO.
    I believe the deputy got flustered when op didn't bow down but stood his ground. His error was he tried to throw his weight around when he ran into someone who had good arguments. If I was the deputy I would have asked op to step aside and politely stated something to the effect that "Look, you may be right but I'm getting a lot of complaints and I want to defuse this. Would you please conceal your weapon while you're in here?" If I was the op I would accept the olive branch and say, "Yes, sir, I will. But please check on the law and you will find that I am within my rights. Have a good evening." Deputy, "Thank you, sir. I appreciate your attitude and demeanor. I will check. Enjoy the Fair." Everybody wins and a reserve LEO would be educated and you may have made a good friend.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Never had any dealings with this particular individual but I will be keeping an eye out. Never had any trouble with the police here in Argos in the 10 years I've been here.

You have police in Argos? I thought they were the Highway 31 police :D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm sure a lot of you will be pissed but here it goes. I understand the whole open carry vs. concealed. I choose cc. If your "harassed" for lack of a better word right now. Cover the damn thing up and go about your business. Answering questions with questions, smart assed answers are only going to escalate the situation. People have a right to be scared. I'm not saying anyone should have been asked to leave. Maybe that option wouldn't have come to the officers mind had it not so poignantly been made an option! Some times it's easier to go with the flow and cover than make a point and upset people around you including your family.

So if thug wanna-bes in baggy pants at the Fair scare me, I have a right to call the Police and tell them I am scared? :dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm sure a lot of you will be pissed but here it goes. I understand the whole open carry vs. concealed. I choose cc. If your "harassed" for lack of a better word right now. Cover the damn thing up and go about your business. Answering questions with questions, smart assed answers are only going to escalate the situation. People have a right to be scared. I'm not saying anyone should have been asked to leave. Maybe that option wouldn't have come to the officers mind had it not so poignantly been made an option! Some times it's easier to go with the flow and cover than make a point and upset people around you including your family.

People have given you a lot of grief over your insistence that people have a right to be scared. I agree with you, they DO have a right to be scared. What they do not have a right to do is to let their fear affect others.

Case in point. I do not like snakes. I'm also not very fond of spiders. In my house, we have a rule that defines creatures by the number of legs they're supposed to have: If they have less than two or more than four, they deserve to die instantly. Anything in between is taken on a case by case basis. There may or may not be purple in that sentence.

So, then, the question is, do I have a right to allow my fear to prevent you from having a snake or a tarantula as a pet? No, I absolutely do not. I have a right to refuse to go to your house. If I'm called there via an EMS dispatch, I have the right to leave post-haste to remove myself from that situation. If I choose to unass your house because of your animal until such time as animal control makes the premises safe, from your name, I'd guess you know the training that comes with that first line from BTLS/PHTLS class, right after "BSI". (My original BTLS class identified that question as "Is the scene secure?" :oldwise: ) but I do not have a right to prevent you from having the pet. If you're walking around outside and have it over your shoulders, here's a hint and a half... I will NOT be approaching you. I won't take your pet and I won't do it harm, but I will exercise the right to refuse to be there.

Blessings,
    Bill

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    LEO: Are with an agency?

Yes,I am, The agency of the free people of America who carry guns,believe to exerciser my 2nd amendment right, and support the 4H

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    LEO: You are supposed to have it concealed. Carrying like that is just pure stupidity.

LEO: We have this same problem at the Blueberry Festival. People don’t know that it’s private property.

You are a better man than I. I would have gotten real surly real quick after that comment

Just fyi, part of the BBF is on school property.

Twingram

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Blackford County
    Coming from a reserve police officer:

We as reserves have a hard enough time catching flak about being "just reserves" that we don't need uneducated guys running making us all look bad!

+1 to the op for standing his ground

Top Bottom