• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Funniest thing I've heard for quite a while!

She knows that when I'm cc'ing, she's not supposed to draw attention to my pistol, so she started calling it my "thing" instead of my "gun" (rather than just not mentioning it at all). She made several...unfortunate...comments in that regard (that you can work out for yourself) over the course of a week or so as my wife and I struggled with how to correct her behavior. Subtlety is not a 9-year-old's strong suit. She's since grown a bit and gotten a bit wiser and has started to learn a little bit of discretion.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Is the Fair Board part of the Purdue Extension or the County?

Thought I would comment on this while I read it. Sorry I have not looked at the other pages of comments yet.

The Fair Board is not the same as Extension. Often time the youth Agent in the county sits on the fair board. 4H is an Extension program. Extension agents are educators that are funded in part by the county. They are employees of Purdue University.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Great job to the OP!!! Someone mentioned that you weren't required to show your drivers license..I'll have to remember that in the future...this RESERVE leo was indeed a uneducated jackwagon....But I worry about any action that will be takin against him. The higher ranks will probably eduacate him an then try an hide it under the rug, mainly to keep from a lawsuit. To fire him or anything else would admit guilt that he was wrong an then if you do get a lawyer thats bad news for them. I think they are more worried about you suing them than they are training or punishing the RESERVE. All I know is that in my Co. when ever the Sheriff says he'll look into it an get back to you....they NEVER do. Hope you have better luck an good luck with the lawsuit if you pursue it.

Why shouldn't this reserve officer be held personally accountable for his actions? If I'm at work and mouth off to a customer and do so with bad information, you can bet for sure that I'll be held accountable and probably fired for it. Why should this officer get a pass? IT'S HIS JOB TO KNOW THE LAW.

Granted, there's a LOT of law to know, and there's no way to be an expert in all aspects of it, but that doesn't excuse him being unprofessional. Had he not been a jerk about it, likely this would not even have been a thread on INGO.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Why shouldn't this reserve officer be held personally accountable for his actions? If I'm at work and mouth off to a customer and do so with bad information, you can bet for sure that I'll be held accountable and probably fired for it. Why should this officer get a pass? IT'S HIS JOB TO KNOW THE LAW.

Granted, there's a LOT of law to know, and there's no way to be an expert in all aspects of it, but that doesn't excuse him being unprofessional. Had he not been a jerk about it, likely this would not even have been a thread on INGO.

I think that is the crux of it all. discuss it with me adult to adult with courtesy and things will turn out a whole lot nicer.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Yep, if I have an issue come up that I have never had come up before. I will call or research it before I talk to the person in question. I assume he could have called someone to find out how to handle it before confronting the OP.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    LEO: Why are you walking around with a gun?
    ME: Because I can’t carry a cop on my back.
    LEO: Because you can’t carry what?
    ME: Because I can’t carry a cop on my back.

Why did you say this? Is this really why you carry a gun? Do you want to look like a stupid joker in front of a jury in the civil case?

Whether or not I decide to pursue legal action will depend on the nature of the follow up call.

Good luck with any "legal action." You told the LEO that if he asked you to leave, you would leave. You offered an action, three times, and the LEO called you out on that.

Folks should understand that anything you say can be used against you, not just in criminal court. Do folks believe a jury/judge is going to take a person seriously when the first thing they say to an LEO who ask why they have a gun is "Because I can’t carry a cop on my back."?? How will it look to the jury/judge that the person tells the LEO, not once, not twice, but three times "Ask me to leave and I will gladly leave." You practically begged to be asked to leave, so the LEO ask you to leave, and somehow you have possible "legal action?" Neither you nor the LEO handled the situation well at all. For LEOs: Know the law. For OCers: Know what kind of property you are on, so you can know if the new law applies. Also, why would you talk to LEOs outside of offering your license? Just repeat "Am I free to go officer/deputy?" If one is serious about testing the damages portion of the new law, I would suggest not making stupid, silly comments. Remember, your an OCer, you may already have one strike against you with the judge and jury!!

I answered his questions with a question. I think that was frustrating him more than anything.

Not an issue if you just want to stir the pot, though not the course I would take if I was serious about future legal action. Such actions can make one come across as a smart ass. You want the judge/jury to view you as an upstanding person, not a joker smart ass "all eyes on me" fool with a gun.

..and then expelled illegally from a place he was allowed to be was the reason.

Am I missing something here? Where was the threat of incarceration leveled against the OP for not leaving? The OP admits he told the LEO that if the LEO just asked him to leave, he would leave. The LEO did just that, so the OP left. According to the OP's transcript, he was the first one to bring up leaving, and the way he brought it up wasn't very good...making an offer to leave on his own accord.

I agree with this post. I would only give the officer a pass on the new law about guns on public places, only because it is just 15 days old. However, the officer should have known about the legality of OCing, and the officer shouldn't make threats about taking away stuff that he can't take away (the license).

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    He asked you if you were with an agency. If you had been, would all the frightened masses who saw you and called it in now suddenly be calmed because the cop found out you were with an agency? That question, implying that if you were an LEO you could still OC and frighten everyone gives the lie to his supposed reason for questioning you in the first place.

My first thought was "it's too bad he didn't work for an insurance agency."

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Cop Basher!!!!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Nope, that's CC. They ram their little faces into your concealed pistol when they run up to give you a hug.

OC for the children

...and the ignorant. ;)

My almost 3 year old granddaughter loves her granpa so much she runs into me full steam... and she is just at the height were it can really hurt. So the other day I turned to the right side to take it on the hip... and she bonked her head on the keltec in the pocket. Made her eyes cross for a while. Now I turn to the left when she runs at me. :)

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I somewhat agree with you Indy317 but I understand why the OP said what he said also. The police officer was trying to intimidate the OP is what it seemed to me and the OP wasn't going to take it. I applaud him for standing up for himself. I think he made the officer look like an ass and the officer probably realizes that too. Maybe the officer will refrain from intimidation tactics and will approach situations with more of a level head because of this.

I doubt there will be a lawsuit and I doubt a slap on the wrist would have changed the officers attitude. Again +1 to the OP for standing up to himself and -1 to that specific police officer.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    I'm sure a lot of you will be pissed but here it goes. I understand the whole open carry vs. concealed. I choose cc. If your "harassed" for lack of a better word right now. Cover the damn thing up and go about your business. Answering questions with questions, smart assed answers are only going to escalate the situation. People have a right to be scared. I'm not saying anyone should have been asked to leave. Maybe that option wouldn't have come to the officers mind had it not so poignantly been made an option! Some times it's easier to go with the flow and cover than make a point and upset people around you including your family.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm sure a lot of you will be pissed but here it goes. I understand the whole open carry vs. concealed. I choose cc. If your "harassed" for lack of a better word right now. Cover the damn thing up and go about your business. Answering questions with questions, smart assed answers are only going to escalate the situation. People have a right to be scared. I'm not saying anyone should have been asked to leave. Maybe that option wouldn't have come to the officers mind had it not so poignantly been made an option! Some times it's easier to go with the flow and cover than make a point and upset people around you including your family.

How about you take your caustic little attitude to a thread that is covering the OC vs. CC debate, instead of acting like a petulant little child on a soapbox and jacking with this threads intent.

:dunno::popcorn:

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    How about you take your caustic little attitude to a thread that is covering the OC vs. CC debate, instead of acting like a petulant little child on a soapbox and jacking with this threads intent.

I guess I'm not seeing it... I mean the caustic attitude and little child on a soapbox??? :dunno: Wow I thought this was an open forum where we were able to bring together different ideas... but it appears that if someone thinks we should do something besides bash the LEO in this thread they are wrong :dunno:

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN

Wow, it was just my take. Maybe you should stop jacking off and think a little. A lot of people live in your little world. I wasn't debating oc vs cc. I happen to not agree with the way it was handled by either party.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hey, chill guys. Maybe you need to move to another thread as this is obviously a very personal topic for you.

Top Bottom