drunk-puke-with-no-shirt-shoes-or-service.jpg

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    What the hell.

Ok, fine. I'll be the passive little bottom in this gangbang of guilt.

Masochism is a valuable life skill. You could all learn from me.

I would have pegged you a bear, but I guess you're just a little twink...

I wouldn't be going to the 1500 if I didn't have set business down there. I doubt I'll be there more than an hour and a half.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    No clue if up here (NWI) we would need a permit or not. Guess it would depend on where up here we would be doing this if we did do it.

Permits do cost money, depending on the city, venue or what not.

A permit is going to be needed around a dozen people, again varies by city/county but 12 seems to be a magic number. As to police presence being required, that must depend on different factors and what the city/county "requires".

I don't want to be the POC for a NWI OC walk because I don't see us getting anywhere near the numbers needed to do a "OC only walk". I don't have a magic number in mind. I think a hundred or so would be magic enough for NW Indiana. I don't see that happening though, maybe I just have a jaded view at this point.

How about this for commitment,

We have people commit NOW to showing up for an OC walk/rally in Indy, in June of next year and commit they will take of work and SHOW UP for this rally if X number of people commit by May 1st. All person who commit, put their money where there mouth is and mail $50 dollars to the event coordinator or a designated trusted person by the 10th of the May. You get your money back when you show up to the walk, don't show and you're money is given to the Second Amendment Foundation. Absolutely no refunds under any circumstances. Even a death in the family. It would also be a rain or shine event.

That may sound harsh, but IMO it is the only way to assure we all show up when we say we are going to. It also encourages people to actually take a day off of work because they KNOW it's going to happen and they KNOW everyone will be showing up.

Under the above circumstances I would commit to going provided at least 250 other people committed. I'd mail my $50 in before the 10th and show up.

Short of that, all we'll have is a bunch of back and forth. Gun owners are by far the laziest procrastinators I know.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Gun owners are by far the laziest procrastinators I know.

This may or may not be the case. Personally, I think the majority of gun owners (as opposed to hunters) are individualists. Summarize it with "I like shooting with folks, but I have my guns and want to be left alone." Is this right? Who cares. We have our rights in Indiana, and the "gun movement" is progressing. More and more states are recognizing our rights, despite what paranoid Democratophobes would have you believe.

Is it effective to walk through the streets in camo carrying guns? It is certainly our right. I'm indifferent about a march. I support the Cause, but I'm not going to send $50 bucks to people I don't know, then spend all day tracking down my refund, or if I don't show, just assuming that the money will go where it is supposed to go.

Gun owners need to be more active, but when the majority of them have all they want from the current gun laws, why should they be active? We can hunt, we can carry concealed, we can own most anything we want. Yes, the fact that there are gun laws period is oppressive in my book, but not to Joe Shmoe down the street who wants an 8-point buck, not a machine gun.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    This may or may not be the case. Personally, I think the majority of gun owners (as opposed to hunters) are individualists. Summarize it with "I like shooting with folks, but I have my guns and want to be left alone." Is this right? Who cares. We have our rights in Indiana, and the "gun movement" is progressing. More and more states are recognizing our rights, despite what paranoid Democratophobes would have you believe.

Is it effective to walk through the streets in camo carrying guns? It is certainly our right. I'm indifferent about a march. I support the Cause, but I'm not going to send $50 bucks to people I don't know, then spend all day tracking down my refund, or if I don't show, just assuming that the money will go where it is supposed to go.

Gun owners need to be more active, but when the majority of them have all they want from the current gun laws, why should they be active? We can hunt, we can carry concealed, we can own most anything we want. Yes, the fact that there are gun laws period is oppressive in my book, but not to Joe Shmoe down the street who wants an 8-point buck, not a machine gun.

Agreed :yesway:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Permits do cost money, depending on the city, venue or what not.

A permit is going to be needed around a dozen people, again varies by city/county but 12 seems to be a magic number. As to police presence being required, that must depend on different factors and what the city/county "requires".

I don't want to be the POC for a NWI OC walk because I don't see us getting anywhere near the numbers needed to do a "OC only walk". I don't have a magic number in mind. I think a hundred or so would be magic enough for NW Indiana. I don't see that happening though, maybe I just have a jaded view at this point.

How about this for commitment,

We have people commit NOW to showing up for an OC walk/rally in Indy, in June of next year and commit they will take of work and SHOW UP for this rally if X number of people commit by May 1st. All person who commit, put their money where there mouth is and mail $50 dollars to the event coordinator or a designated trusted person by the 10th of the May. You get your money back when you show up to the walk, don't show and you're money is given to the Second Amendment Foundation. Absolutely no refunds under any circumstances. Even a death in the family. It would also be a rain or shine event.

That may sound harsh, but IMO it is the only way to assure we all show up when we say we are going to. It also encourages people to actually take a day off of work because they KNOW it's going to happen and they KNOW everyone will be showing up.

Under the above circumstances I would commit to going provided at least 250 other people committed. I'd mail my $50 in before the 10th and show up.

Short of that, all we'll have is a bunch of back and forth. Gun owners are by far the laziest procrastinators I know.

$50 deposit:laugh: Gun owners are the laziest procrastinators you know:laugh:

How about doing an OC event and those who show up go through with the plan........whether there is 5 people or 500.:dunno: Why do you need 250 people to commit with you?

Personally, I feel that the best way is to simply OC whenever plausible in everyday life. Making some sort of financial commitment to it is a bit overboard IMO.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    How about doing an OC event and those who show up go through with the plan........whether there is 5 people or 500.:dunno: Why do you need 250 people to commit with you?

He was responding to a couple of us on here who think that an "OC Gun Walk" (a walk because permits to demonstrate cost money and some don't want the media alerted) would be futile unless you could generate over 1000 people in a location like Indy and at least a few hundred in NWI. I say, weak numbers would betray the actual strength of our cause and would prove counter-productive.

I'm with you, if someone wants to "normalize" (their word) the presence of guns in our society, everyday open-carry would be much more effective than gathering en mass and marching on the Capital.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Thanks Prometheus for your reply. I have posted on the other thread that NWI INGO won't be doing a "sister walk" when INDY INGO does theirs. Told them that some of us may end up driving down there for their walk and to keep us posted on when the date will be. Once we have the date I'll spam the NWI INGO group via PM about it.

On to other subjects.

The final 2010 MEET & SHOOT is in NOV and the poll for when in NOV is up and will close soon. If you have not voted yet please do so.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...14439-nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_nov_date.html

From the looks of it right now it will be on SUN, 14 NOV 10.

Also don't forget that on the 28th we have the CIGAR NIGHT!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...8_10_-_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_pine_island.html

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I got back from the Indy 1500 a few hours ago--around 1:00. I really just drove down, spent about 15 minutes there and drove back after I had finished. I didn't get much of a look around, but people seemed to be having a good time.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    $50 deposit:laugh: Gun owners are the laziest procrastinators you know:laugh:

Do you know a better way to make people who as a whole never honor their commitments? I've had as many as 40 people guarantee they'd show for an event. 7 showed including myself and my wife. This isn't just once or twice and it's not the same people backing out.

and yes they are.

Commit to me? No. Commit to the cause. If I'm going to take my valuable time only to have it squandered because more than half, in most cases 75% decide they have better things to do at the last minute.

Woodrow answered the second half of your question. Having a dozen or two people show up in Indy for an OC walk does nothing (for or against) our cause IMO.

Personally, I feel that the best way is to simply OC whenever plausible in everyday life.
    I agree
    Making some sort of financial commitment to it is a bit overboard IMO.
    See above. It's called becoming invested. Show up and get 100% of your money back. Don't show and the SAF gets a donation. It's not overboard considering 75% are likely to back out other wise. People who know that are not likely to take a vacation day from work (if they work on weekends) to show up for something minor.

I also think $50 is more appropriate than anything less because gas for many people is going to exceed that for their round trip anyway. Set it at $20 and there will be a few who say "So I lose $20, gas would have been $40 anyway, I'm sleepy from watching Friends reruns all night".

Again it comes down to peoples time more than anything. No one forces people to go to any rally or event, but if you commit to going, you should be there. That goes back to the laziest procrastinators I know part.

I'm simply tired of doing things for people who don't put forth the simple effort of just showing up when they say they will.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    It's like melensdad said, Labor wants people there, they get buses. When people turned up for the Inauguration, churches and civic groups provided buses, the Million Man March, the same. Even the SDS had buses when they went to DC. If you want people to congregate, it takes months of planning, and in most cases, transportation (sometimes lodging) must be provided. Have some meetings, collect money, charter some buses. That's just how it's done. Believe it or not, logistics is a pretty big factor.

Gun owners subscribe more to the concept of personal responsibility and self-reliance, neither of which lends well to this type of event.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom