• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Naplam perhaps I have the offset wrong not sure?

For instance I can hear when people are talking on this repeater:

Merrillville NW 442.075 + W9LJ LakeCoARC 131.8 O E WX L X RACES ARES 02/06/10
    But I can't get the repeater to "ping" back to me & thus no one hears me. :(

Is the Tx Freq 442.575?

We may all be "you people" since we are NORTH of your backwater, hill billy, mud hole. But trust me us North of 30 folks have no love for those SJ folks. They aren't our kind and smell funny with their noses up in the air. :D

See what I mean melensdad! He would leave us for the bigger snobs down south in Indy who steal all our tax money and give us nothing in return. :rolleyes:;)

Thanks! But a bit confused then.
    Are all the 4xx.xxx repeaters a + or - 5.0 of whatever freq?
    Just like all the 14xx.xx are + or - .6 of whatever freq?

Guess I must have misunderstood and thought the 4xx.xx were all .5 instead of 5.0. :faint:

70cm repeaters are +/- 5MHz. It's in the technician handbook ;) Or did you pay someone else to take the test like a true Lake County resident </purple> :P

Then again I failed that part of the test too. LOL.

Was there talk of Willow Slough (sp?) on Wednesday? I'm off and itching to go shooting.

Hey, look what some nice guy started.
    INGO HAM radio thread - official - INGunOwners

Have fun, nerds. ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I think I just found an unsmokable cigar. It was a Rocky Patel R4 churchhill. The thing was wrapped so tightly it has no draw on it. This is what I get for buying a cigar from an online deal instead of the 1101.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think I just found an unsmokable cigar. It was a Rocky Patel R4 churchhill. The thing was wrapped so tightly it has no draw on it. This is what I get for buying a cigar from an online deal instead of the 1101.
    I always recommend that people buy a couple cigars at a real store, try them out, before committing to buying on-line and getting something that . . . .

Realize that most cigar makers offer different cigars to retail shops than they offer to the on-line merchants. There is SOME cross-over with identical items but there are many retail store exclusives and its usually the seconds or lower grades that are offered on-line. We actually sign contracts with the manufacturers agreeing not to sell many of their items on-line.

When buying on-line I usually recommend people AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE the Thompson Cigar Company. If you must buy on-line, use Cigars International. They are the best I've found.

BTW, are you coming to the Cigars & Guitars on Thursday Night? We are featuring a boutique brand called AGING ROOM, its got an amazing 94 rating.

Floater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Chesterton
    melensdad said:
    When buying on-line I usually recommend people AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE the Thompson Cigar Company. If you must buy on-line, use Cigars International. They are the best I've found.

Good to know. I've never ordered cigars on-line. I much prefer local shops, but I've considered ordering on-line. I've just never quite gotten myself to pull the trigger, so to speak, on an on-line order. Is it just the quality of the cigars or are there other reasons to avoid Thompson Cigar Co?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I would not mind making it out there. But we have been getting a ton of fire calls lately, seems the nice weather has really brought out the careless firebugs.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Most on line cigar shops will 'bundle' a few good cigars with a bunch of crap and call it a deal. Most have several house brands and/or buy close outs from no-name makers that they promote. Sometimes you can get a decent cigar at a low price. My experience is that you usually get several "yard grade" cigars and a couple decent ones.

... Is it just the quality of the cigars or are there other reasons to avoid Thompson Cigar Co?
    Thompson markets a bunch of no-name cigars that it touts as brand names, they seem to own most of the no-names they are offering 'deals' on as if those are nationally known premiums.

I would not mind making it out there. But we have been getting a ton of fire calls lately, seems the nice weather has really brought out the careless firebugs.
    Well if you can it should be a good night.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Drive By Shooting in Lowell

This is what happens when you are not a parent but rather just let you kid run wild.

One of the neighbor families is a total mess. There are 3 generations living there, plus a few strays that moved in too. Some are involved in drugs. The neighbor boy was one of my wife's students. He was not the brightest kid in class, but he was always nice to my wife, even if he didn't do all his homework. I've never had any problems with the boy, or any of the neighbors either. But the boy was recently expelled from school for selling drugs on the bus. He just turned 18 and is now legally a "man" so what does he do . . . he was busted for doing a drive-by shooting in town!!! This is a small rural farm town and we have just had a 'drive-by' shooting!?!

This kid has been in trouble many times, now it looks like he really screwed up. I have no sympathy for him or his family but it really pisses me off that parents won't actually act like role models.

If you have kids, be a parent. A real parent.

LINK => Lowell man charged in drive-by shooting

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Well, that's as good of a reason as any to stay with the local shops. Thanks for the inside information.

Now consider the source, he is a cigar shop owner, but I can verify that he's not blowing smoke (sorry, I had to). Of the peopłe I've talked to online cigar stuff is hit or miss at best. But across the board Thompson is by far more miss than hit. Buddy of mine ordered through them every cigar in the bundle except for three were junk, you could look at them and tell they were messed up.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am going to buy a 20 cigar humidor and fill it them.

NOOOOO!!!!

Buy a 20 cigar humidor and put 10 cigars in it.

Buy a 50 cigar humidor and put 20 to 30 cigars in it.

Next time you are in the shop ask me about humidors. 75% of them are CRAP. I know because I sell them. I also sell some very expensive humidors. You can make a cheap (under $200) humidor work very well, but you can't fill them up. If you do it won't work. It would take pages to type the problems with humidors, its easier to show you.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It was probly Jedi. I think I saw some gang tattoos under his T-shirt at the last meet.

Nah I don't travel that far south. Crazy hill billies live out that way! :D

In all fairness to 'my people' it should be noted that he and his family were 'you people' who moved south and invaded the peaceful, law abiding and tranquil lands of the south country.

Well you know we have distribute the wealth. But really a shotgun drive-by? :n00b: Epic failure! I know you guys have a bigger drug problem then we do. Ours are the gangs.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I know you guys have a bigger drug problem then we do. Ours are the gangs.

This kid has been implicated in both gangs and drugs for the past several years. Lowell High School denies everything regarding both gangs and drugs. Literally never admit there are problems. Truth is we have the same problems everywhere.

Still, I blame the family situation here. Its just a mess over there, not sure there is any real parenting going on in that house.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom