• Status
    Not open for further replies.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    i did think of a minvan for just this reason. i have managed to transport 12-55g water barrels in my current minivan so I know it has the room. hum... can a minivan have that thing that larry posted to it? will it be too heavy?

granded the minivan gass milage blows i think vs my intrepid.

will that also hold a small riding lawnmowver? not at the same time.
    i do like this idea however cause is that thing removable?

Problem with the hitch mount racks is they put a TON of stress on your hitch. Draw weight is negligible. (static weight of your trailer) Tongue weight is of concern, you need to take care not to overload this. The hitch is at the rearmost point of your vehicle and being there, is going to have greater effect on your vehicles suspension than comparable tongue weights of trailers. Also, there will be rotational loads that your hitch is not designed for. You will need at least a class III which I believe limits you to full-framed vehicles.

I wouldn't mount a hitch tray on anything but a full framed truck. I have a class III hitch on my Dakota. I tried a motorcycle hitch mount rack and put my bike on there. It said 450lb capacity, my bike's dry weight is 492lbs new according to owners manual. Figured I'd try it. The tray held the bike fine, but the rotational forces were magnified due to the fact that there was 500lbs loaded on the truck 4 ft rear of the rear axle. I drove around town to see how it did before I decided if I'd buy this, or remove my bed cap and load in the bed. The steering got awfully light and the rotational forces the bike placed on the hitch, the bike was visibly tilting in the receiver, and I could feel it quite a bit in the truck. Opted to give away the truck cap and buy a ramp for the bed.

Once you're pushing the 4-500lb mark on those hitch mounted trays, you're really pushing it. Would be better off with a lil bitty trailer. If you don't have space to store a trailer, or have some other reason not to pull one, then they make sense but I'm still not a fan.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Jedi said:
    will that also hold a small riding lawnmowver? not at the same time.
    i do like this idea however cause is that thing removable?
    depends on a lot of variables

What is the tongue weight capacity of the vehicle? What is the weight (combined weight) of the lawn tractor & the hitch platform?

Realize you need a class 3, not a class 1 hitch on the vehicle to haul something like a snowblower or fixing mower. Many smaller or lighter vehicles have class 1 hitches (like minivans, compact SUVs, even compact pick ups).

You better have a 600# tongue weight capacity on the vehicle if you plan to try to carry a 450# riding mower on a hitch platform. You have to add the weight of the platform too! Combined that should be no more than 85% of the total of the tongue weight capacity.

As someone who has towed some heavy loads, my advice is to NEVER tow more than 85% of the capacity of your vehicle. I'd say the same should apply to tongue weight on hitch platform. I'm amazed at the number people who forget to include the weight of their trailer or hitch platforms!!

Last edited:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Going on day 15 of popping ibproferen like candy, well almost, about 800 mg a day. The Trigeminal Nueralgia has been pretty much gone for 6 months. But for 15 days now it's been acting up. Not horrible, but it's messing with me. Can't get comfortable to actually fall asleep. It's gonna make for a long night at work tonight.

actually seen the nuerologist last Wednesday, and the guy wanted me to take off work and start on meds already. I told him no, I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. Then he says "well, let's start the meds and you continue working and see how it goes. "

I said "no, not gonna happen, I can't take more then an aspirin or ibproferen and go to work. I'm like an air traffic controller, only for trains"

So, he wants me back at least every 6 weeks, to check back. And if it gets bad to come in ASAP. He wants to start medication immediately.

I'm really getting sick of people who just want to drug me up.

And I'm really irritated that I've only had 6 months with no problems. Normally I have a 1 1/2 - 2 years between flare ups.

Im even putting off filing my FMLA paperwork for intermittent leave, because for some reason if I file it so it's ready, it's like I'm admitting defeat.

I'm hoping this most recent small flare up is just a reminder that I still have it, and it doesn't turn into a full flare up.

***RANT OVER***

In other news Lego's is teaming up with Apple to make Lego's iPhone and iPad...

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Going on day 15 of popping ibproferen like candy, well almost, about 800 mg a day. The Trigeminal Nueralgia has been pretty much gone for 6 months. But for 15 days now it's been acting up. Not horrible, but it's messing with me. Can't get comfortable to actually fall asleep. It's gonna make for a long night at work tonight.

actually seen the nuerologist last Wednesday, and the guy wanted me to take off work and start on meds already. I told him no, I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. Then he says "well, let's start the meds and you continue working and see how it goes. "

I said "no, not gonna happen, I can't take more then an aspirin or ibproferen and go to work. I'm like an air traffic controller, only for trains"

So, he wants me back at least every 6 weeks, to check back. And if it gets bad to come in ASAP. He wants to start medication immediately.

I'm really getting sick of people who just want to drug me up.

And I'm really irritated that I've only had 6 months with no problems. Normally I have a 1 1/2 - 2 years between flare ups.

Im even putting off filing my FMLA paperwork for intermittent leave, because for some reason if I file it so it's ready, it's like I'm admitting defeat.

I'm hoping this most recent small flare up is just a reminder that I still have it, and it doesn't turn into a full flare up.

***RANT OVER***

In other news Lego's is teaming up with Apple to make Lego's iPhone and iPad...

My old doctor was like that and just wanted to push pill rather than try to find the cause. Good luck.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Are you getting like Snapdragon and buying up all the revolvers?

Nope, not buying. Trading my unwanted guns for them.

Sent off an NAA Mini in .22mag, a GSG5, and a Beretta PX4sc. All three were taken out exactly once, though I think the NAA I took out twice.

I've always been a revolver guy, wasn't until I discovered 1911s and other single stack semiauto pistols that I learned I could like an autofeeding pistol.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Nope, not buying. Trading my unwanted guns for them.

Sent off an NAA Mini in .22mag, a GSG5, and a Beretta PX4sc. All three were taken out exactly once, though I think the NAA I took out twice.

I've always been a revolver guy, wasn't until I discovered 1911s and other single stack semiauto pistols that I learned I could like an autofeeding pistol.

U-n-w-a-n-t-e-d
    G-u-n-s

Tell me of this new concept.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Below is the reason I didn't even mention tonneau covers, I was talking to JEDI. Those would work, as would a bed cap.

:facepalm: I forgot who I was dealing with! I was wondering why you didn't tell him about them. I was thinking t_star should know about tonneau covers, but I wasn't going to blame you, I was going to blame DarkKevin!

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    @Jedi. With everything your describing I think your best option is a 1500 truck(1/2 ton). IMO they are way easier to load, can haul a wider variety of things, plus if haul anything that spills or smells bad your cab won't reek like it. If you want to fit your family in it or are worried about locking things up, look at quad cabs( trucks with 4 doors) the back seats fold up. When I go shooting or I have to go to a bunch of different stores, fold up the back seats put the platform down, and I have a huge storage area that locks up.

If your worried about gas mileage the make V-6 1500 trucks, but your towing goes down. The newer V-8 1500's get pretty good gas mileage. But IMO if your buying a full size truck gas mileage is not the main concern, they are 4600lbs or more vehicles they're not going to be super fuel efficient.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom