• Status
    Not open for further replies.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Seriously if you're leaning toward pickup, look at Dakotas, Tacomas, and even the Canyon/Colorado twins (a little smaller). If you don't need a decent sized bed, Ford had the Exploder SportTrac

Dakota/Tacoma/Canyon/Colorado are going to return high teens in the MPG dept. Maybe even low 20s and can tow a decent amount, as well as haul a decent amount in the bed.

Most 1/2 ton fullsize pickups with a v6, 2wd std cab will give similar mileage with better capacity.

If you're looking to spend a decent amount of money (newer than 05/06ish when transmissions started adding a 5th or 6th gear) you can look at smaller v8s in fullsize pickups to return the same mileage.

If towing/hauling is primary or even secondary function, these are too light duty. But for the occasional load, they'll do it.

If you've got a trailer, then your world opens up even further for enclosed body vehicles like the Cherokee.

I was going to suggest a minivan but you've got one it seems. Carpenter buddy of mine buys beater minivans, strips interior and hauls way more than I'd ever think possible. Obviously unsafe, but it still does the job. Not unlike my Dakota, I've towed 5500lbs more than once, and have put 2000lbs+ in the bed several times. Don't think I'd be willing to do this with a new vehicle that I spent good money on, but my $1k beaters get treated appropriately.

Last edited:

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Spent 3 hours at the clubhouse tonight. Thought I'd try some infused smokes. The only ACID I've ever really liked was Extraordinary Larry. Though I've tried others, none came close and most were less than satisfying. So I tried the Kuba Maduro hoping for a more full flavor (nope) and Drew Estate's Java for the same reason. Neither was even close to being a substitute for Extraordinary Larry. It wasn't that they were bad smokes, just way too mild for me. Both were well crafted and smoked well but I didn't care for either.

Whenever Extraordinary Larry is back in production and available, I'm buying a full box. Maybe even two boxes. Not unlike ammo shortage, one of my favorites isn't available, so I want to make sure I don't run out again.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    too many options... **sigh***
    I like larry's whatever he has it seems to fit everything for the shoots.
    But dont think it will fit a blower, perhaps towing the blower but still think it's easier to use ramps/for blower.

oh i dont know right now.
    i have 1/2 a mind to say forget it once the car dies so does winamac and just get a small compact for driving to/from train station.

Ford Escape. But I'm not too keen on the new ones. They're kinda going from small SUV to car.

If you get a SUV, you can always move your snowblower on this.
    400 lb. Capacity Power Scooter and Wheelchair Folding Cargo Carrier Rack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    41m46vYKrcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ...Whenever Extraordinary Larry is back in production and available, I'm buying a full box. Maybe even two boxes. Not unlike ammo shortage, one of my favorites isn't available, so I want to make sure I don't run out again.
    I ordered them again yesterday.

Doubt I'll get any. If I get any, I suspect the quantity will be well less than I ordered.

Ford Escape. But I'm not too keen on the new ones. They're kinda going from small SUV to car.
    Ditto. I've driven the old Escape down in Texas and New Mexico, its a nice compact SUV that is very truck-like. More utility than sport. And with a SUV, I value utility over sport by a wide margin. Not a fan of the new Escape.

actaeon277 said:

My thoughts regarding hauling a snowblower with an SUV too. I don't see the problem with an SUV that Jedi seems to see, and I see the big advantage of the enclosed cargo area that is secure. Yes, there I times it is nice to have an open bed. But I'd say that the times I "needed" a pick up truck are a few times a year, and I can always find a way to get by without it.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I still love my old JEEP Cherokee but I can really move into my suburban... I use to like my old 4 by 1979 full size pickup truck too but my use seems to lend itself towards a fully enclosed vehicle normally...

If I was looking into the smaller SUV's the JEEP would be what I would look at as it has a full frame design, I would also add the airade to that little 4.0 ltr for more power as In stock condition I couldn't get through the mountains with the JEEP, or pull the little Scamper trailer I tried to pull with her to Cali one year... after that enhancement it did much better in the upper altitudes...

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Seriously if you're leaning toward pickup, look at Dakotas, Tacomas, and even the Canyon/Colorado twins (a little smaller). If you don't need a decent sized bed, Ford had the Exploder SportTrac

Dakota/Tacoma/Canyon/Colorado are going to return high teens in the MPG dept. Maybe even low 20s and can tow a decent amount, as well as haul a decent amount in the bed.

Most 1/2 ton fullsize pickups with a v6, 2wd std cab will give similar mileage with better capacity.

If you're looking to spend a decent amount of money (newer than 05/06ish when transmissions started adding a 5th or 6th gear) you can look at smaller v8s in fullsize pickups to return the same mileage.

If towing/hauling is primary or even secondary function, these are too light duty. But for the occasional load, they'll do it.

If you've got a trailer, then your world opens up even further for enclosed body vehicles like the Cherokee.

I was going to suggest a minivan but you've got one it seems. Carpenter buddy of mine buys beater minivans, strips interior and hauls way more than I'd ever think possible. Obviously unsafe, but it still does the job. Not unlike my Dakota, I've towed 5500lbs more than once, and have put 2000lbs+ in the bed several times. Don't think I'd be willing to do this with a new vehicle that I spent good money on, but my $1k beaters get treated appropriately.

i did think of a minvan for just this reason. i have managed to transport 12-55g water barrels in my current minivan so I know it has the room. hum... can a minivan have that thing that larry posted to it? will it be too heavy?

granded the minivan gass milage blows i think vs my intrepid.

If you get a SUV, you can always move your snowblower on this.
    400 lb. Capacity Power Scooter and Wheelchair Folding Cargo Carrier Rack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    41m46vYKrcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

will that also hold a small riding lawnmowver? not at the same time.
    i do like this idea however cause is that thing removable?

That is the way to go, you still have your clean dry enclosed vehicle and your snowblower dripping water and maybe leaking oil and gas is outside.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I use to be a member over there, some years back...

Now I'm a member at another one as I needed a rifle range too... Not really feeling like shooting in the cold and snow though....

I'm looking for a nice dry desert right now... LOL....

Could use some more shooting though....

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I use to be a member over there, some years back...

Now I'm a member at another one as I needed a rifle range too... Not really feeling like shooting in the cold and snow though....

I'm looking for a nice dry desert right now... LOL....

Could use some more shooting though....
    I shoot trap over there sometimes. What's the scoop on the rifle range? it's a single lane? how long? what are the hours?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    i did think of a minvan for just this reason. i have managed to transport 12-55g water barrels in my current minivan so I know it has the room. hum... can a minivan have that thing that larry posted to it? will it be too heavy?

granded the minivan gass milage blows i think vs my intrepid.

will that also hold a small riding lawnmowver? not at the same time.
    i do like this idea however cause is that thing removable?

It goes. In a trailer hitch, so yes, it is removable.
    It will take a lawnmower, if the lawnmower is less than 400 pounds and fits those dimensions.

If not that rack, there are others. But you're still going to be limited by the hitch.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom