• Status
    Not open for further replies.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    There's a black cat that wanders my neighborhood, I think it's actually my cat's mother, she's missing the tip of her ear and a short bit of her tail. We also have 3 coyotes that like to visit from time to time and I assume that's from them. If all 3 coyotes can get from one cat is a piece of ear and the tip of a tail, I can't imagine them controlling a wild population.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have a varying number of barn cats. They live on average about a year and a half. We get some fixed, but usually do not bother, since they don't last long enough.

Coyotes are VERY good at killing cats. They are by far the #1 cause of death for our cats. Cars are a distant second.

As for decimating local animal populations, not here they haven't. They will indeed hunt most anything they can, but we still have rabbits, mice, moles, barn swallows, etc here. They actually do a good job of keeping them out of the barn, except for the swallows. Get 100yds from the barn and they don't make much of a dent.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If they live for such a short time and the coyotes will get them anyway (which can't be a pleasant death, if they do die), why not just shoot them and be done with it instead of letting them suffer?

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I'm tired of OT... Almost got stuck for 12 today... What really makes it worth it though, is the extra $75 I see on each check... Smh, I love the IRS and the taxes they collect for our awesome government, I love doing my part so countless others can sit on their rumps eating Bon-bons, free room and board, free food, discounted utilities, and being able to throw weekly parties on my/our dime. God Bless America :patriot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a varying number of barn cats. They live on average about a year and a half. We get some fixed, but usually do not bother, since they don't last long enough.

Coyotes are VERY good at killing cats. They are by far the #1 cause of death for our cats. Cars are a distant second.

As for decimating local animal populations, not here they haven't. They will indeed hunt most anything they can, but we still have rabbits, mice, moles, barn swallows, etc here. They actually do a good job of keeping them out of the barn, except for the swallows. Get 100yds from the barn and they don't make much of a dent.

I'm guessing you live on fairly open land.

In wooded areas, the coyotes have a much bigger challenge killing cats than in open areas.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The rain cameth....

For like three minutes.

Oh, it's on like Donkey Kong now.

I'm tired of OT... Almost got stuck for 12 today... What really makes it worth it though, is the extra $75 I see on each check... Smh, I love the IRS and the taxes they collect for our awesome government, I love doing my part so countless others can sit on their rumps eating Bon-bons, free room and board, free food, discounted utilities, and being able to throw weekly parties on my/our dime. God Bless America :patriot:

Yup. Forced OT sucks.
    I'm happy (or sorta happy, anyway) cause I only have 56 hours this week.
    Yet I have all kinds of things need to do around the house. LIKE OPEN MY FRIGGIN POOL.

Wish I could get half that lol

Come on down to the Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can NEVER leave.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If they live for such a short time and the coyotes will get them anyway (which can't be a pleasant death, if they do die), why not just shoot them and be done with it instead of letting them suffer?
    Suffer? Everything dies. They have it pretty easy. They get fed and watered and have shelter in the Winter. If they stay near the barn they can live for a lot longer. Most don't. A couple of years ago that didn't help though. We had cats that were 7 and 12 that they got.

I'm guessing you live on fairly open land.

In wooded areas, the coyotes have a much bigger challenge killing cats than in open areas.
    Yep. I am in the middle of a farm field. We have one small strip of trees/brush about 2/3 of the way back. There are trees across the street. That is where the car kills come in.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah I might have been hired by ArcelorMittal a couple years ago if I had bothered to do the testing but I ****ed up and decided to work at Eby-Brown because it was a guaranteed job.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yep. I am in the middle of a farm field. We have one small strip of trees/brush about 2/3 of the way back. There are trees across the street. That is where the car kills come in.
    And that is the difference between your property and mine. I'm at the intersection of 2 creeks, tree lines run both creeks. I've got some farm field behind me. A partially treed area. And some think woods on the hillsides that come up to the house.

Cats get into the tree areas and the coyotes can't get them, they can travel long distances if they can stay in the trees, and they can live for a lot longer than a year, year +1/2 because of the shelter of the trees. Those woods and tree lines provide food in the form of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, mice, etc.

The coyotes can get the cats if they are crossing the open areas and if they get caught in the margins along the edges.

I have seen, firsthand, the damage that feral/wild/discarded cats do out here. I have learned to hate wild cats and the people who discard them. Those who breed them, out of ignorance, just need to be slapped and educated.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    The wife took a NRA woman's handgun course at blythes from 2:30 to 7:00 today. And she loved it. She got to shoot a revolver and semi auto pistol both in .22, and the instructors told she was the best shot in class. I'm so proud of the wife.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Thanks pink father for making a special appearance today. I know my daughter was extremely shy, but she hasn't stopped talking about you or the gift you brought her. You made her day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom