Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You can tie them both into the same pipe, but mount the backup pump higher so that it only trips if the electric one does not.

Something like this.
    basementbackup507.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sump pump question:

Can I add a battery backup too my existing pump or do I have to buy a whole system? I dont currently have a battery backup on the pumps I have now.
    Is your pump a 12-volt D.C. or a 120-volt A.C. pump?

Batteries put out 12-volt D.C., you need an inverter to turn it into 120-volt A.C. (and visa-versa).

Gonna look into a whole house generator too.
    Contact Chuck Moek, he is an INGO member, licensed electrician, works deals for CA$H, hangs out at the cigar lounge. Tell him I sent you. He rarely posts but frequently reads INGO. He posts under the name IL CAVEMAN. Look him up and send him a PM. He installs Generac whole house generators.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sister in law's little dog was walking too close to the edge of the pool.

I happened to be there at the time.

With predictable results the dog is no longer hanging out on the patio next to the pool. Now she hangs out well back from the pool edge.

See you can train dogs.

And sister-in-laws :rolleyes:

Canik's are made in the middle east, they are near, but not quite, clones of the CZ75 and they are sold at bargain prices. Magazines can be hard to come by. Reports are generally positive. But I'd just buy the CZ75, lots of accessories for those, lots of upgrades, lots of magazines, lots of competition parts, lots of . . . etc.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Anyone know of a two bedroom apt. or house for rent close to Schererville/Crown Point area?

Saw this on facebook
    For rent in Crown Point 2 bedroom 1 bath 2 car garage 2 1/2 acre out building with one horse stall. Horse is allowed . $ 1000 a month plus security deposit. Contact me at 219-765-3621

10425188_10202640144108164_6861074031467697619_n.jpg

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    In my experience seeing wet basements. I can say that having a battery backup on your sump pump is good, however that doesn't make your basement waterproof. It will buy you a little (and I stress a little) time, if you're without power for more than 4-5 hours you'd best be looking for a generator in the next few hours.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    In my experience seeing wet basements. I can say that having a battery backup on your sump pump is good, however that doesn't make your basement waterproof. It will buy you a little (and I stress a little) time, if you're without power for more than 4-5 hours you'd best be looking for a generator in the next few hours.

This is why my house is sitting on a ridge line, with a 60' elevation drop down to the creek at the back of the property.

If my lower level floods then Noah and his Ark will likely be floating by and his family, and all the animals will be waiving at me while I cling to my roof.

No water in my basement!

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    One thing I've learned is that most houses that were built with unfinished basements were never intended to have their basements finished. At least not finished in the sense that they are a perminant living area with bedrooms. If one decides to finish their basement be prepared to run HVAC to condition the area to avoid condensation and use materials that are easily replaced. Don't bother with lamanent flooring, get vinyl tile or cheap carpet. Throwback to the 70's with some el' cheap-o wood paneling. If you REALLY want to use drywall spring for the green "mold resistant" kind and use some cheap polystyrene foam for insulation. Don't bother with spray foam unless you intend to have your basement built like a submarine (pay the money to have a foundation expert to waterproof $$$).

If you intend to add a bedroom to your basement make sure you spend the coin on adding an emergency egress. It may not be required in your local building code, but if there's a fire the survivability of the occupants is greatly increased.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One thing I've learned is that most houses that were built with unfinished basements were never intended to have their basements finished. At least not finished in the sense that they are a perminant living area with bedrooms. If one decides to finish their basement be prepared to run HVAC to condition the area to avoid condensation and use materials that are easily replaced. Don't bother with lamanent flooring, get vinyl tile or cheap carpet. Throwback to the 70's with some el' cheap-o wood paneling. If you REALLY want to use drywall spring for the green "mold resistant" kind and use some cheap polystyrene foam for insulation. Don't bother with spray foam unless you intend to have your basement built like a submarine (pay the money to have a foundation expert to waterproof $$$).

If you intend to add a bedroom to your basement make sure you spend the coin on adding an emergency egress. It may not be required in your local building code, but if there's a fire the survivability of the occupants is greatly increased.

Yep. In the house where I grew up, the entire subdivision flooded at least once a year. We never put carpet down, never covered the cinderblock. Only stored boxes on top of tables--never on the floor. But every time there was a heavy rain, you'd see the same people putting wet carpet out at the curb.

In the house I bought after that (in the same subdivision), the previous owners had spent hella money putting a bedroom downstairs for one of their kids. They hadn't even moved her down there yet when the foundation cracked and flooded it all out.

This house, NO basement. Never again. After 45 years of wet basements, I'm done.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Speaking of meet and shoots when we going to vote for july?

You wont. July meet and shoot is "special" since the mods and fenway come to "inspect" DAPINKfather.
    As such a date is given for when they can make it, posted and away we go.
    We shoud have a date very soon.
    All i know right now is it is a saturday in july, most likey the 3rd one.

Except to see several mods, some idy ingo members, a few from southetn indana and off course Da PINKfather in all his pink gear.
    We might even have nei ingo members as well. July trends to see 70+ members

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    You wont. July meet and shoot is "special" since the mods and fenway come to "inspect" DAPINKfather.
    As such a date is given for when they can make it, posted and away we go.
    We shoud have a date very soon.
    All i know right now is it is a saturday in july, most likey the 3rd one.

Except to see several mods, some idy ingo members, a few from southetn indana and off course Da PINKfather in all his pink gear.
    We might even have nei ingo members as well. July trends to see 70+ members

I look forward to that

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    Is your pump a 12-volt D.C. or a 120-volt A.C. pump?

Batteries put out 12-volt D.C., you need an inverter to turn it into 120-volt A.C. (and visa-versa).

Contact Chuck Moek, he is an INGO member, licensed electrician, works deals for CA$H, hangs out at the cigar lounge. Tell him I sent you. He rarely posts but frequently reads INGO. He posts under the name IL CAVEMAN. Look him up and send him a PM. He installs Generac whole house generators.
    Both of mine are 120 volt.

I'll look up chuck now. Thanks Bob

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    Saw this on facebook
    For rent in Crown Point 2 bedroom 1 bath 2 car garage 2 1/2 acre out building with one horse stall. Horse is allowed . $ 1000 a month plus security deposit. Contact me at 219-765-3621

10425188_10202640144108164_6861074031467697619_n.jpg

I know where that is. South of Winfield on east 125th. Used to be my Tuesday rte before my promotion

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom