• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    hell, last night coming back from the club house, my car flat up and died rolling to the light at 41 and 231. dead in the left turn lane headed south. man were people behind me pissed. had to wait 45 mins for the tow to get there. btw, I left an envelope for raitekk there. he said he was coming to the cigar meet. now I have to go figure out what to do with the dead car in my driveway. ug...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pulled out of the garage and the car felt a bit odd for a moment. I chalked it up to running over a chunk of ice/snow as I backed out of the garage. But I stopped in the driveway to double check the gauges and look for any "idiot light" on the dashboard to tell me there was a problem. NOTHING. So on my way I go. Nothing feels unusual. No odd sounds. About 2 miles from home I look at the dash and the idiot light warning me about low tire pressure is illuminate. Front left tire is low.

Turn around and head back to my workshop. I fired up the air compressor to build some pressure then went to inspect the tire. Not good. Small bulge in the sidewall, right where the sidewall and the tire tread meet, along with a very small tear in the outer rubber. Slow air leak.

Call the tire store, of course the 225/45 Z rated tire is not in stock. Ordered it. Tire won't be in until late afternoon today. But I have to leave for O'Hare Airport to pick up my daughter so I can't take the car in this afternoon for the tire.

So I'm thinking of staying home to play with the dogs, nursing it up to the shop tomorrow. Just don't feel like putting the stupid "donut" tire on the car. Too damn lazy!

Somehow today feels like it should be a MONDAY. Or maybe Friday the 13th???

Sounds interesting but my favorite is hot Black Coffee + a shot of Kahlua.

mmmmuuuuuuaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
    Your bad luck may be because Jedi was going to visit you at the club and pick up the stuff.
    mmmmuuuuuuuaaaaaaahhhhh

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Who can build this & how much?

Looking for a wooden box to be build as followed:

[STRIKE]Box to be 2" or greater thick on all side.[/STRIKE]
    Box to be 1" or greater thick on all sides.
    Inside of box (useable space) should be 12" wide x 12" long x 16" high.
    Box should have a lid that one can just put on top of box to 'close it' via gravity
    Box should be stack able up to 4 boxes tall.

Here is a sample of a similar box
    firebox_01.jpg

firebox_02.jpg

(Note that this sample box is **NOT** stack able due to the lid.)

Looking to buy 2 to 4 depending on cost.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Why does it have to be 2" thick or thicker for the side walls?

Regular 2x lumber is not even 2" thick. Its going to be hard to get lumber that is actually 2" thick.

Because that is what the client wants.
    I understand 2x?? nominal is only 1.5" thick.
    They do sell 3x??? which is 2.5" thick but not sure on how readily available that is.

Depending on the final cost I suspect this client will allow the 1.5" thickness.
    The CRITICAL part for this client is the inside usable space.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Because that is what the client wants.
    I understand 2x?? nominal is only 1.5" thick.
    They do sell 3x??? which is 2.5" thick but not sure on how readily available that is.

Depending on the final cost I suspect this client will allow the 1.5" thickness.
    The CRITICAL part for this client is the inside usable space.
    Might be cheaper to buy a 6x6 post and rip it in half lengthwise? That would give you boards that would be thicker than 2" but it would still be a lot of work and it would take a big saw to rip a 6x6.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You have to pay extra for that extra 1/2"....:evil:

Oh I'm sure of it since I don't ever recall seeing 3" x ??? at menards or lowes but then again I have not looked too hard.
    Look I'm just posting what the client said they wanted. Suspect the 2" or greater is more for peace of mind but not sure.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Might be cheaper to buy a 6x6 post and rip it in half lengthwise?

That could work? I am NOT going to build this. Looking for someone to do it for the client I have.
    I don't have the tools to cut wood other than a hand saw and quite frankly I don't want this job. Just helping the client out.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Could use 2x lumber and then wrap the box with plywood to build up the extra thickness. Be a heck of a lot stronger too!

That could work? I am NOT going to build this. Looking for someone to do it for the client I have.
    I don't have the tools to cut wood other than a hand saw and quite frankly I don't want this job. Just helping the client out.

Yes it will work. But to rip a post you'd want a big band saw (I don't have one) or maybe a big table saw. I know my table saw will not rip something that thick.

But no matter what, the weak spots will be where the boards butt together.

To increase strength it would be better to have them joined by 'tongue and groove' where the boards butt against each other. But I think the plywood idea (above) is much better and still stronger.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Could use 2x lumber and then wrap the box with plywood to build up the extra thickness. Be a heck of a lot stronger too!

Yes it will work. But to rip a post you'd want a big band saw (I don't have one) or maybe a big table saw. I know my table saw will not rip something that thick.

But no matter what, the weak spots will be where the boards butt together.

To increase strength it would be better to have them joined by 'tongue and groove' where the boards butt against each other. But I think the plywood idea (above) is much better and still stronger.

So you going to give a cost for building it so I can pass it along?
    :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @bob
    Actually I made a mistake. The thickness should be AT LEAST 1" all around.
    I misunderstood what the client was saying and just confirmed that the MIN is 1" thick.
    The client is using this as the basis for the box.
    Alliant Powder - Storage & Handling

gggggrrrr I don't get paid enough to do this... :faint:

@all
    Thanks for the signage info BTW.
    That client actually ended up going with INGO member printcraft for the sign.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What price point do the boxes need to meet and do they need to be pretty? Also, what's the intended use?

Not sure on price point.
    The client saw my box (the one in the picture) and how I am using it to store 1lb powder cans and primer boxes and wanted to do something similar.
    My box can hold 4 cans of 1lb powder or 2 cans and some boxes of primers.
    Client wants to do the same but stack his "wood boxes" to save on space.

They don't have to look nice or be painted. Basic wood just like the picture is all that is needed.
    Did you read that link that I posted. That is what client read and wants to be able to 'protect' his powder.

In other news I'm off to the US-30 border soooonnnn.
    Rednecks be warned. :rofl:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    $267.72 for 4 of them, using 2x8's ripped and decking screws, and design as shown, but stackable.

Looking for a wooden box to be build as followed:

[STRIKE]Box to be 2" or greater thick on all side.[/STRIKE]
    Box to be 1" or greater thick on all sides.
    Inside of box (useable space) should be 12" wide x 12" long x 16" high.
    Box should have a lid that one can just put on top of box to 'close it' via gravity
    Box should be stack able up to 4 boxes tall.

Here is a sample of a similar box
    firebox_01.jpg

firebox_02.jpg

(Note that this sample box is **NOT** stack able due to the lid.)

Looking to buy 2 to 4 depending on cost.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom