• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yep ... messing around in a parking lot.

On a related note ... next vehicle purchase will be a 4x4 Truck. I should have replaced the last truck with one instead of a 2wd.
    I won't buy a vehicle without AWD anymore. It is such an advantage when you need it. Just as I will always have Winter/Summer tires. They are well worth the money paid for them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yep ... messing around in a parking lot.

On a related note ... next vehicle purchase will be a 4x4 Truck. I should have replaced the last truck with one instead of a 2wd.

If you don't want a Truck, there are plenty of choices in AWD vehicles these days. From premium priced Mercedes and Audi sedans to much more affordable sedans from Chrysler, VW, Ford, Subaru, etc. I've had at least 1 4wd SUV sitting in my garage since 1984 and am growing tired of having them, but I won't give up 4 powered tires. When I get rid of my (awesome) VW Touareg I'll probably go to a sedan.

FWIW, there is a difference between AWD and 4WD and some of the AWD systems are better than others. Technology changes, so when you are ready for a new vehicle, do your homework. But even a mediocre AWD will be better than a 2WD.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If you don't want a Truck, there are plenty of choices in AWD vehicles these days. From premium priced Mercedes and Audi sedans to much more affordable sedans from Chrysler, VW, Ford, Subaru, etc. I've had at least 1 4wd SUV sitting in my garage since 1984 and am growing tired of having them, but I won't give up 4 powered tires. When I get rid of my (awesome) VW Touareg I'll probably go to a sedan.

FWIW, there is a difference between AWD and 4WD and some of the AWD systems are better than others. Technology changes, so when you are ready for a new vehicle, do your homework. But even a mediocre AWD will be better than a 2WD.

Actaeon and I had a discussion recently about 4x4 vs. AWD.

I'm a truck guy and not really into the fancy sedans. I'll likely go the four door truck route ... Ford ... Chevy ... Dodge ... Toyota.

Wrx ftw. Wish I had high paying Union jobs like some of you to afford one

We'll be hiring soon. Are you under 35? PM me.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    DAMNIT why doesn't a single online retailer have ALL the parts I want/need instock. Trying to save on shipping etc, but each retailer has 1 or 2 of the items I need.

SO MAD, WHERE'S JEDI I NEED TO HIT SOMETHING!
    :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Traffic around 30/41 is ridiculous. Thankfully I have nowhere to go today, or yesterday, so I haven't needed to go further than that, but it took me a solid hour to get to Stracks for a tub of sour cream and back home. 4 mile round trip.

I'm done with snow.

This year may have changed my mind on the snowblower idea.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Traffic around 30/41 is ridiculous. Thankfully I have nowhere to go today, or yesterday, so I haven't needed to go further than that, but it took me a solid hour to get to Stracks for a tub of sour cream and back home. 4 mile round trip.

I'm done with snow.

This year may have changed my mind on the snowblower idea.

Glad to have a snowblower. My idea of a good winter is not having to use the snowblower and glad to have one when needed.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Traffic SOUTHBOUND on US41 near Lake Central High School/Bingo Lake is down to 1 lane.

A somewhat delusional driver, in a compact Dodge Caliber, apparently believing he owned a tracked vehicle, veered off into the snow bank, the vehicle being fairly light, ended up ON TOP of the snow bank, with body resting on the peak of the bank. Not sure how fast he was going to get his vehicle up that high, but clearly it deservers a ticket for "too fast for conditions" of the roadway!

Have fun folks, others clearly have started without you.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I'm a truck guy and not really into the fancy sedans. I'll likely go the four door truck route ... Ford ... Chevy ... Dodge ... Toyota.

We'll be hiring soon. Are you under 35? PM me.
    Like this?
    IMG_20120416_211936.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

Look for weight distribution, the best handling 4x4 vehicles will be as close as possible to 50/50 weight distribution. Too light on the back end and you have too little traction on the rear, easily fixed by adjusting your load, but if its back heavy then there is little you can do to fix front traction.

FWIW, I've owned 5 or 6 various JEEPs over the years, plus 3 or 4 other brands of SUVs. The VW Touareg I currently drive is among the very best for offroad and snow road conditions I've ever driven, but its an SUV not a truck. Still, it will tow 7700# and has a great AWD system. JEEPs are obviously excellent choices too, too bad neither company offers us a pick up truck!

Traffic around 30/41 is ridiculous. Thankfully I have nowhere to go today, or yesterday, so I haven't needed to go further than that, but it took me a solid hour to get to Stracks for a tub of sour cream and back home. 4 mile round trip...
    Yup, I had to drive north/south on 41 up to and back from Highland early this morning. Then around lunchtime I drove west on 30 to the cigar lounge . . . at maybe 3mph in heavy traffic that resembled a parking lot!?!

Apparently traffic on 80/94 is so bad people came south to US30.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Look for weight distribution, the best handling 4x4 vehicles will be as close as possible to 50/50 weight distribution. Too light on the back end and you have too little traction on the rear, easily fixed by adjusting your load, but if its back heavy then there is little you can do to fix front traction.

FWIW, I've owned 5 or 6 various JEEPs over the years, plus 3 or 4 other brands of SUVs. The VW Touareg I currently drive is among the very best for offroad and snow road conditions I've ever driven, but its an SUV not a truck. Still, it will tow 7700# and has a great AWD system. JEEPs are obviously excellent choices too, too bad neither company offers us a pick up truck!

Yup, I had to drive north/south on 41 up to and back from Highland early this morning. Then around lunchtime I drove west on 30 to the cigar lounge . . . at maybe 3mph in heavy traffic that resembled a parking lot!?!

Apparently traffic on 80/94 is so bad people came south to US30.

Jeep used to make pickup trucks. Was it back in 1970's-80's ? Been so long I forget.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom