• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I would also put the ability to refill the 1# canisters in the category of having the tools and knowledge if I need it too...

I don't normally pour my own bullets for normal handgun reloading or make and reload cartridges with black powder for shooting, or make my own caned heat stoves etc... but I have the knowledge to do it and if there are any strange tools I need to have on hand it's a bonus if I possess them...

I don't use enough of the 1 # cans of propane to make it useful to do it on a regular basis but it is a nice tool and skill set to have if needed....

WD, I take notice to the dangers of doing it just as I would keep in mind the dangers of producing diesel from alcohol and grease from the kitchen or harnessing the use of methane from the waste around the house for heating... but yet still do it if I need to....

Agreed. I'm not against having the tools or the "know how." I'm just leery of people plunging into something that they don't have a complete understanding of what they are doing and the associated risks. If MD has been doing it forever without incident, I am very happy for him. I know he's a smart guy and understands what he is doing and the involved risks. It's the people that will wander across the thread, pick a few pieces of information and misuse it that I worry about.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Now hold my beer while I light a cigar. I'm in the middle of pouring W321 into the hopper of my progressive reloader and I don't want to drop my ash into the powder hopper.

:facepalm:

I'm going to stop here. Soooo much bad advice and misunderstanding about refilling a pressurized vessel ... freezing the tanks? condensation, frozen pressure relief valves ... oh my.

It doesn't matter to me personally. I'm not calling the feds. I was just passing along the information so Jedi could make an informed decision. The rest of it is job security for me.

Thanks for the 4-1-1.

BTW, how much money is saved by refilling those 1lb tanks?

About $1.50 per tank.

Which makes the risk vs savings oh so not worth it at least for me.
    I am going through about 3 cans (3lbs total) per year for the meet & shoots right now plus another 2 lbs for personal use.
    So a 20# tank will take me 4 years to go through. Not sure if it's cost effective to buy the hose adapter for the weber grill ($30) and a 20LB tank to take back and forth to Winamac when the smaller can's work for me.

4 lbs = 9 right now so it's 2.40 per can with tax or $12 a year.

Cabela's* sells a #20 for $40 + $30 for the adapter puts me at $70 for the year.
    Which means I won't break even until 5.8 years from now if I go that route.
    I really don't forsee use doing Meet & Shoots in 2019/2020. Well we might be but I doubt in the same format.

I'm better off just buying $100 worth of propane tanks right now then going the 20# route.
    Beats having to lug around all that weight as well.

* yes it can be found cheaper but for pricing for this post I just went with whatever google pricing gave me as the first hit.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ha ha ha ... Too cold for you this time around?

I did not have an issue with the cold.
    If fact I was hot at one point and took some layers off.

The issue is that it was way too late in the year and got in the way of the holiday season and frankly by this time around I want to be off INGO and off the NWI INGO calendar of events. This time last year I already had most of 2013 planned out and could focus on the holidays and relax and just'hibernate' so to speak. Yet here it is 30 days before the end of 2013 and I have yet to close out 2013 meet & shoots and still have one active group buy. :faint:

Like I told Black Label once season 4 is closed out I plan on hibernating and I will fall off INGO for 3 to 4 weeks (ie. no posting, no viewing threads, etc..)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm still really unclear about some of the potential dangers with refilling propane. I did a bunch of research and even looked over WD's post again and I see this as a very safe, and very economical option.

Some things stated are simply wrong. Condensation issues? Huh?!? Or more precisely WTF? Condensation inside the canister would require Hydrogen and Oxygen to both be present inside the canister but what is actually inside the canister is CARBON and HYDROGEN. In fact water is H2O and Propane is C3H8. No "O" in Propane. Consequently no condensation inside the canister even if you put it in a commercial deep freeze there is no condensation because the ingredients to make water do not exist.

I could go on about the frozen valves and other such inaccuracies but I'll drop it here and bow out.

Too much misinformation on Al Gore's interwebs and too much hype about dangerous activity that is actually simple, safe, economical and easy. Just follow some common sense . . . but that too is often lacking.

I would also put the ability to refill the 1# canisters in the category of having the tools and knowledge if I need it too...

I don't normally pour my own bullets for normal handgun reloading or make and reload cartridges with black powder for shooting, or make my own caned heat stoves etc... but I have the knowledge to do it and if there are any strange tools I need to have on hand it's a bonus if I possess them...

I don't use enough of the 1 # cans of propane to make it useful to do it on a regular basis but it is a nice tool and skill set to have if needed....

WD, I take notice to the dangers of doing it just as I would keep in mind the dangers of producing diesel from alcohol and grease from the kitchen or harnessing the use of methane from the waste around the house for heating... but yet still do it if I need to....
    I'm seriously considering making my own bio-diesel too.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I did not have an issue with the cold.
    If fact I was hot at one point and took some layers off.

The issue is that it was way too late in the year and got in the way of the holiday season and frankly by this time around I want to be off INGO and off the NWI INGO calendar of events. This time last year I already had most of 2013 planned out and could focus on the holidays and relax and just'hibernate' so to speak. Yet here it is 30 days before the end of 2013 and I have yet to close out 2013 meet & shoots and still have one active group buy. :faint:

Like I told Black Label once season 4 is closed out I plan on hibernating and I will fall off INGO for 3 to 4 weeks (ie. no posting, no viewing threads, etc..)

Does this mean that you aren't going south of RT 30 for the Libertyseed on Dec. 7 th and see your smiling face?:dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Does this mean that you aren't going south of RT 30 for the Libertyseed on Dec. 7 th and see your smiling face?:dunno:

:nono: I will be there.
    Season 4 is not fully closed out yet.

I have to finish
    - libertyseed help with drinks
    - do Meet & Shoot year 4 review
    - close out filter group buy
    - buy the appleseed tickets for the raffle that just finished & the july 2014 one

My goal is to be in 'hibernation' by 20 dec

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    :nono: I will be there.
    Season 4 is not fully closed out yet.

I have to finish
    - libertyseed help with drinks
    - do Meet & Shoot year 4 review
    - close out filter group buy
    - buy the appleseed tickets for the raffle that just finished & the july 2014 one

My goal is to be in 'hibernation' by 20 dec

Can' wait to see you there.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    FYI MidwayUSA is taking backorders on .22 ammo, will ship when all items arrive. Still quantity limit 1 box each item but I ordered several bricks of different .22 and shipping for it all is $15 on 8 bricks, so I think its a decent deal if you're willing to wait.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Well, the time might finally be upon us. It has been a long time old friend, we have been through many battles and many places together. We have been together long enough I can feel when you are not well, and I know you are dying. You have been loosing a step now and then these past few months, you have been slowing down. Despite how many times I try and heal you, you are not as fast as you used to be... But it has been a great run, and you have more than doubled the average life span of the average laptop. I remember buying you like it was yesterday, back in the summer of 04. Your specs were godly back then. How many laptops that are still running can say they toppled Blackwing Lair back when it was brand new content, how many can boast about being used to top the charts in Alterac Valley back when High Warlord was something to be proud of. Well my friend, you can... I pray you make it these last 30 days so you can be 10 years old, what an achievement that would be. And if for some reason you can't muster the strength to go on, then I will close your lid, and let you sleep, for you deserve it... My old friend. :patriot: :crying:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well, the time might finally be upon us. It has been a long time old friend, we have been through many battles and many places together. We have been together long enough I can feel when you are not well, and I know you are dying. You have been loosing a step now and then these past few months, you have been slowing down. Despite how many times I try and heal you, you are not as fast as you used to be... But it has been a great run, and you have more than doubled the average life span of the average laptop. I remember buying you like it was yesterday, back in the summer of 04. Your specs were godly back then. How many laptops that are still running can say they toppled Blackwing Lair back when it was brand new content, how many can boast about being used to top the charts in Alterac Valley back when High Warlord was something to be proud of. Well my friend, you can... I pray you make it these last 30 days so you can be 10 years old, what an achievement that would be. And if for some reason you can't muster the strength to go on, then I will close your lid, and let you sleep, for you deserve it... My old friend. :patriot: :crying:

Oh so sorry for your lose.
    A good PC is hard to find now-a-days. Especially one that games with you for so long.
    The hardest part will be when you have to make that decision to zero wipe the hard drive and/or finally pull it the destroy it knowing that the computer's life has left a while ago.

:(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom