Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It absolutely baffles me that a grown man...yes, I understand this is jedI we're talking about here...but anyways, I am BAFFLED a grown man has never changed a flat tire before. I had to change a tire for a male friend in highschool because he didn't know how, and then a boyfriend in the middle of a snow storm. That guy got kicked to the curb very quickly.

There has never been a need to change one before this past WI trip. In the 20 years of driving Jedi has only had two tires issues.

1) About a year ago when the tire on the car was completely flat and literally off the rim at the EC train station.
    The full spare was NOT in the car as it had been taken out for maintenance and I was on my way after work to pick it up! :facepalm:

2) The WI trip

Jedi has been lucky and also does check the tires often to ensure they don't give Jedi grief.

Somehow I picture pink or rainbow road flares for Jedi, kinda like begging for help, pweeeeeez hep me, I so confuzd

Do they make PINK flares? Jedi has only ever seen the red ones (as in red flame and red packaging).

Hum.. :puke: on the rainbow ones!

I seem to remember being taught how to change one in high school. Plus by that time I had helped my father change at least one.

They did offer 'car shop' in high school at what is now the IVY TECH STATE COLLEGE but it was an elective and not something I was interested in.
    Jedi was too busy learning about microchips and making computer code.

Jedi has seen a few tires changed in his live as a little padawn when his uncle and dad had issues. :p

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I seem to remember being taught how to change one in high school. Plus by that time I had helped my father change at least one.

Does anyone remember the old bumper jacks and how you would have to keep the square shaft straight or the jack would tip over with the car on it and have to start over again?

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Does anyone remember the old bumper jacks and how you would have to keep the square shaft straight or the jack would tip over with the car on it and have to start over again?
    yep, and they were still better that the nightmarish scissor jacks cars (usually) come with today!!

interesting side note: were you aware for the last cpl years, spares,jacks and lugwrench's are often OPTIONS in a LOT of new vehicles???

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

mlaekbNCY2b_4V8VFph7CEQ.jpg

This thing right? Jedi does recall that occurring to Jedi's uncle with the station wagon once.
    The amount of :whistle: that came out of his mouth made my aunt put her hands on my younger's cousin's ear.
    :rofl:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    yep, and they were still better that the nightmarish scissor jacks cars (usually) come with today!!

interesting side note: were you aware for the last cpl years, spares,jacks and lugwrench's are often OPTIONS in a LOT of new vehicles???

:scratch: what do you mean OPTIONS as in you have to pay extra for a spare tire since it's not included with the **** car anymore!!!

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    :scratch: what do you mean OPTIONS as in you have to pay extra for a spare tire since it's not included with the **** car anymore!!!
    yessir! stupid as it sounds it's becoming more and more common.

customer with a 2012 hyundai accent didn't realize his car came without a spare, jack, etc. until he needed it. hyundai was happy to sell him a "spare kit" for $800

donut rim and tire, jack, lugwrench, hold down hardware etc. it's not just hyundai either, nissan, toyota, ford, dodge, seen em all.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

customer with a 2012 hyundai accent didn't realize his car came without a spare, jack, etc. until he needed it. hyundai was happy to sell him a "spare kit" for $800

donut rim and tire, jack, lugwrench, hold down hardware etc. it's not just hyundai either, nissan, toyota, ford, dodge, seen em all.

My car came without a spare. Has some fix a flat instead.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

The day I walk in to buy a car, and there is not even a spare "doughnut" tire, jack, and wrench, I'm telling the manager exactly why I'm walking out. All that money on a car, and they have to rip me off there?

And that is something I don't find out "after I need it". At the dealership I like to check to see the newest cheap cr*p they're trying to put there. And first thing when I get home is to jack the car up and see how changing the tire goes.
    Parents had a van that the jack that came with it, wouldn't jack the van high enough to fit the spare on. :(
    We had to set the van down on the bad tire. Put block of wood under the jack. Then raise the van a second time.

My car came without a spare. Has some fix a flat instead.

The fix a flat will damage the tire pressure monitor system and the dealer will be happy to sell you a new one.

Of course they won't tell you that. They'll let you screw it up first.

Learning general car maintenance was part of the deal for me to get my license & car.

Too many parents skip that part of their child's education. After all, everyone seems to believe the "school" is for teaching.
    We had to at least learn to jump start a battery.
    Push start a stick shift.
    Change a tire.
    Check all fluid levels.
    My dad didn't expect us to be able to rebuild an engine, but you had better know how to do simple maintenance.

I'm sure they would.

I would end up at Discount tire though.
    Can Discount tire sell sensors that connect to your car?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for the tip DK on the "kit". Not that I plan on EVER buying a new 2012+ car again. Jedi does not trust those "chips" inside the vehicles to not be controlled by something/one else.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Damn it why cant we get a local gunshop worth a damn? Crap for inventory, and what they do have a lot of is all cheap junk. QUALITY and SELECTION is what I want!!! I know its tough with the overhead, but a well stocked shop would do TREMENDOUS things in NWI, I'd think. Oh well, back to online shopping.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom