jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    yeah, i guess i never saw it.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    RainbowAndYou.jpg

since you like rainbows.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    What a fun night. Daughter and family was told by the Hobart police to get out of their house, as the house next door was on fire. On the scanner, heard no one was home except for a dog. Hope the dog made it out.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I consider my wife to be one of the most mechanically disinclined people I know. Yet she has changed a tire more than Jedi. Her first flat, she called me at work while I was dealing with an emergency. She wanted to know what to do. I told her its 4 bolts and some elbow grease or $200 for a tow truck, figure it out or use my credit card. She came home with the donut spare on her car.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    so either your wife has some real bad luck or ya dont maintain your tires?
    jedi has been know to sacrafice a declawed hammers that bob may have owned to the gods to ensure jedi has no car troubles.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Working with 2 different fencing teams and a fencing club is killing me. Up at 3:15 yesterday morning for an all day tournament in Wisconsin. Had one club kid up there, plus both teams (Marian Catholic & Lowell H.S.). I was overseeing all the Saber kids. The lovely Mrs_Bob stepped up and helped with the Lowell Saber fencers. There were 400 fencers there from about 5 surrounding states and dealing with that mass of high school kids is something like bouncing your head against a concrete wall and liking it.

The NWI Fencing Club boy did very well as did 3 of the best Marian Catholic boys (one each fencing Saber, Epee and Foil). None of our girls were in the hunt for medals. Lowell didn't fare too well, but the Lowell kids are inexperienced and really only Junior Varsity level, while this tournament was a varsity++ level event. Many of the participants came in for the Junior Olympic trials, which take place today so they used yesterday's event as a 'warm up' for today.

I need sleep.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Working with 2 different fencing teams and a fencing club is killing me. Up at 3:15 yesterday morning for an all day tournament in Wisconsin. Had one club kid up there, plus both teams (Marian Catholic & Lowell H.S.). I was overseeing all the Saber kids. The lovely Mrs_Bob stepped up and helped with the Lowell Saber fencers. There were 400 fencers there from about 5 surrounding states and dealing with that mass of high school kids is something like bouncing your head against a concrete wall and liking it.

The NWI Fencing Club boy did very well as did 3 of the best Marian Catholic boys (one each fencing Saber, Epee and Foil). None of our girls were in the hunt for medals. Lowell didn't fare too well, but the Lowell kids are inexperienced and really only Junior Varsity level, while this tournament was a varsity++ level event. Many of the participants came in for the Junior Olympic trials, which take place today so they used yesterday's event as a 'warm up' for today.

I need sleep.

I remember the high school band trips and feel sorry for you with all those kids around you. More parents need to help instead of using you for a babysitter.

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI

I need sleep.

It is so rewarding being a mentor.

Let's sprinkle this story with positive thoughts...

PLAYING with 2 different fencing teams and a fencing club is FUN!

surrounding myself with that mass of high school kids is something like bouncing - KIND OF LIKE TIGGER - IT FEELS SO ENERGIZING

I AM GETTING YOUNGER EVERY DAY

THESE eventS ARE a 'warm up' FOR MY Olympic trials

I need sleep JUST LIKE THOSE TEENS

I FEEL SO YOUNG AND ENERGIZED

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I remember the high school band trips and feel sorry for you with all those kids around you. More parents need to help instead of using you for a babysitter.
    Yup. All 3 of us coaches at Lowell H.S. are VOLUNTEERS, the other 2 are teachers. But none of us get paid a penny for the time spent. None of us have any children in the Lowell school system. At Marian the head coach is paid a small stipend but the other 3 of us are VOLUNTEERS. Only one of the coaches has a kid in the Marian high school, but this is his 8th year coaching!

Parents are generally uninvolved in their kid's lives.

It is no wonder that the kids today have no direction.

It is so rewarding being a mentor.

Let's sprinkle this story with positive thoughts...

PLAYING with 2 different fencing teams and a fencing club is FUN!

surrounding myself with that mass of high school kids is something like bouncing - KIND OF LIKE TIGGER - IT FEELS SO ENERGIZING

I AM GETTING YOUNGER EVERY DAY

THESE eventS ARE a 'warm up' FOR MY Olympic trials

I need sleep JUST LIKE THOSE TEENS

I FEEL SO YOUNG AND ENERGIZED
    I'm old, slow and arthritic. But I can still beat most of these kids!

And I need sleep.

And to rest my sore joints.

The kids can be fun and entertaining, but when their parents don't pick their own kid up after an event and we have to wait for 30 minutes for that one idiot parent it gets a bit more than just frustrating.

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Yup. All 3 of us coaches at Lowell H.S. are VOLUNTEERS, the other 2 are teachers. But none of us get paid a penny for the time spent. None of us have any children in the Lowell school system. At Marian the head coach is paid a small stipend but the other 3 of us are VOLUNTEERS. Only one of the coaches has a kid in the Marian high school, but this is his 8th year coaching!

Parents are generally uninvolved in their kid's lives.

It is no wonder that the kids today have no direction.

I'm old, slow and arthritic. But I can still beat most of these kids!

And I need sleep.

And to rest my sore joints.

The kids can be fun and entertaining, but when their parents don't pick their own kid up after an event and we have to wait for 30 minutes for that one idiot parent it gets a bit more than just frustrating.

I feel sorry for the kids, as most parents don't even take time to talk to their own children. We were the house in the neighborhood where most of the kids hung out and would ask them about how things were going. I saw this also when on the fire dept. and mentor the young members. Lack of communication is the biggest stumbling block between parents and children everyday.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    So bob, when are you delivering all the berry bullets?
    My right arm is in a sling for a couple days, doubt I'll be carrying around any boxes of lead anytime soon.

I feel sorry for the kids, as most parents don't even take time to talk to their own children. We were the house in the neighborhood where most of the kids hung out and would ask them about how things were going. I saw this also when on the fire dept. and mentor the young members. Lack of communication is the biggest stumbling block between parents and children everyday.
    Yup, I see that too. But I also see SOME of the parents that are engaged in the upbringing of their kids. Those are usually the better adjusted kids. Go figure.

What surprised me was the number of parents who drove up to Wisconsin to see their kids in the tournament yesterday. There were the parents of probably a half dozen kids up there. That was a good thing. For them to travel so far to see their child compete for about 15 minutes shows some level of parental dedication. But on the other end of the spectrum were the parents who were late picking up their kids at the school when we finally arrived late last night (despite ample warning/notification via cellphone).

Fencing "bouts" last a maximum of 3 minutes each, a typical kid will compete in 6 bouts in the morning, with an average time of under 2 minutes per bout. Then in the afternoon they will compete in 1 or 2 longer bouts that average about 5 or 6 minutes each.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, a lot of parents just drop the kids off at the "babysitter". The scoutmaster of the troop and I are retiring, and not one of the parents have stepped up. Looks like they're having to bring in a dad that doesn't even have a kid in the troop.

Most of the parents that help, their kids have graduated and moved on.

On another note, I broke my garage door.
    Actually, I came home last night, and the door only opened so far, and then "clunk".
    Three of the hinges between 2 panels were broke. This allowed the panel to jut out just enough to hit the top of the door opening.
    So, I guess that's my job today.
    That, and maybe moving Christmas lights.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yes, a lot of parents just drop the kids off at the "babysitter". The scoutmaster of the troop and I are retiring, and not one of the parents have stepped up. Looks like they're having to bring in a dad that doesn't even have a kid in the troop.

Most of the parents that help, their kids have graduated and moved on.

I get that.

The parent who is involved with the kid sees an organization that helped the kid and jumps in to help, even after the kids move into college/etc.

I just wish more kids would have active/involved/caring parents instead of self-absorbed adults who stand by idly with thumbs up their butts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom