• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    2 days, laying on the ground, even on a padded mat, just not going to happen.

Oh, I could get down on the ground, even get up the first time. Probably the second time. Unlikely the 3rd time. Certainly not the 4th time. Guess I could just stay there until the ambulance shows up?

To9_Z4.jpg

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I've been interested for awhile, but time is something that I don't have a lot of. I have a hard enough time getting away for 5-6hrs to go to a 3 gun, or a couple hours to golf. No way I could get a whole weekend away. Also, I refuse to go until I get my 795 LTR!!!!!

I am very interested in Appleseed

BUT

I'm arthritic.

So, spending 2 days, rain or shine, laying on the ground is simply not something that I can do. I might be able to pull off 1 day. Maybe. I've researched and strongly recommended people to the Appleseed Project, just don't see that I can do it. I'd love to learn how to be a better shooter. Love to hear about the history (major history buff!).

Oh, I could get down on the ground, even get up the first time. Probably the second time. Unlikely the 3rd time. Certainly not the 4th time. Guess I could just stay there until the ambulance shows up?

We can get you a mattress to lay on!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Mattress won't help.

Rheumatoid Arthritis has a way of creating serious pain when you get into a position and stay there for an extended period. I'd end up on some serious pain killers after just a morning of shooting. Even moving around while on the ground won't help much, if any.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    dodge_brakes_201307.jpg

that is what the brakes looked like when they took them out.
    back brakes were cracked, front ones was metal on metal.
    guy said no point trying to salvage them best used as scrape metal.

man i still was not able to take care of the snob. :rofl:

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    well snob i'm 50/50 on the lake village 1 right now.
    r u going 2 be there?
    i think i need about 2 to 4 more 10/22 clips :P for a total of 4 to 6 plus would like to mod the 10/22 a bit but dont see that happened before i go. (extended clip release, that thing clif has to auto lock the bolt) and put some skater tape on the bottom for more grip.

i ask if u r going cause jedi neeeds a mat

You have a sling? ... you have a .22 rifle? ... you have two magazines? ... you have ammunition? ... you have pen and paper? ... Guess what? You have everything you need for an Appleseed™ at Lake Village.

You have Tech Sights so that's a bonus. Everything else is gravy. I can loan you magazines. I can loan you a mat. You don't need the extended mag release or the bolt thingy or a "nice" trigger. You are 100% ready for a Lake Village Appleseed™ ... you just haven't realized it yet.

I am very interested in Appleseed

BUT

I'm arthritic.

So, spending 2 days, rain or shine, laying on the ground is simply not something that I can do. I might be able to pull off 1 day. Maybe. I've researched and strongly recommended people to the Appleseed Project, just don't see that I can do it. I'd love to learn how to be a better shooter. Love to hear about the history (major history buff!).

We work with physical ailments and make accommodations. We aren't drill sergeants :drill: or masochists. We will allow some shooters to skip the transitions if their physical limitations don't allow for a lot of up-and-down. However, yes ... the actual positions demand a lot out of you from muscles you never knew existed and could be taxing on the joints.

The last shoot I worked in Indy, we had a gentleman attend with arthritis. He shot when he could and sat out when he couldn't. Eventually, he did end up stopping altogether (Sunday afternoon) and just watched his wife shoot. It would be up to you to decide how much you want to risk missing out on and if you'll recoup any of the fee if you miss a lot of hands-on. You could also sign up a family member and just watch to see what it's all about.

Then there is this ...

The last shoot in Lake Village I missed the first day. On Sunday morning, Auntiebellum was recounting how an older (+65) gentleman had fought his way through his arthritis pain the entire day on Saturday. She said that he had labored through almost every stage of shooting getting up and down ... struggling at times to get up on all fours and then pushing himself up to his feet. He did this all day long. They said he was able to keep up and rarely slowed the group down. AB said that he would not be returning on Sunday along with another student that had a rough physical day on Saturday. Anyway, we were about to circle up and get the day going when along comes a car down the drive. I heard AB mutter quietly, "Wow ... I can't believe it." It was our arthritic gentleman. He pulled up, parked his car and climbed out with a smile and said, "Good morning" with a smile on his face. He hung in there for the entire day on Sunday. I couldn't have been prouder or more amazed to have witnessed how he hung in there all day through the pain. He didn't shoot Rifleman® that day but he certainly possessed in spades what it takes to be a Rifleman. I couldn't help but wonder how many people (at least half his age or even younger) spent that very same weekend in comfort and ease while this gentleman voluntarily toiled and endured in an attempt to earn something that realistically, was nearly impossible to attain due to his physical condition.

We certainly don't want anyone to hurt themselves at an Appleseed so we ask that everyone use good judgement when signing up and during the shoot. Listen to your body and you be the judge.

I've been interested for awhile, but time is something that I don't have a lot of. I have a hard enough time getting away for 5-6hrs to go to a 3 gun, or a couple hours to golf. No way I could get a whole weekend away. Also, I refuse to go until I get my 795 LTR!!!!!

You do not have to attend both days. You can sign up for a single day. If you are new to Appleseed, you can sign up for Saturday only. That is the day with the bulk of instruction. Sunday has some more instruction but is usually heavy on the AQT's.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    that is what the brakes looked like when they took them out.
    back brakes were cracked, front ones was metal on metal.
    guy said no point trying to salvage them best used as scrape metal.

Judging from some of the stops you tried to make that last time I rode with you ... and the smell, I am surprised they look this good.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    That is cool, Jedi would love it. :laugh:

Is it pink? Looks like it would need a paint job.

Those things are bad ass though, I want to take a ride in one.
    That unit is a Kristi KT-4. Its exceptionally rare and exceptionally complete. There are maybe a 3 or 4 in the world? Its powered by a Corvair engine. It belongs in a museum. It may sell for less than $2500?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @melensdad

That looks like a kool ride. Can it run over cars? If so I want it to drive to downtown and not have to worry about crazY KLB driving all fast around me.
    ;)

@WD
    Look what I found :drool:
    $(KGrHqRHJFUE+S-CYTnrBP4jFEgeJw~~60_58.JPG

Trying to see if they can make it in PINK for me like this one.
    Tactical Solutions Performance Extended Mag Release Ruger 10/22

I have never had plans to get a trigger job on the 10/22. I think that's cheating. The auto bolt release is more just cause i'm lazy but I know that is not needed for Appleseed wise. The extended magazine I have used Clif45's and love it. It's ssoo much easier to get the 'clip' out vs the little stub I have.

I need to think just a bit more on the Lake Village one.
    I'm now at 60% yes, 40% no. I did notice you did not answer the question of are you going?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That unit is a Kristi KT-4. Its exceptionally rare and exceptionally complete. There are maybe a 3 or 4 in the world? Its powered by a Corvair engine. It belongs in a museum. It may sell for less than $2500?

You and Indiana Jones also belong in a museum. :p
    What is so rare about it?
    Looks all messed up to me from the inside. What are they used for?
    Is it even working? And how the f** would we even bring it back from Alaska!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    You and Indiana Jones also belong in a museum. :p
    What is so rare about it?
    Looks all messed up to me from the inside. What are they used for?
    Is it even working? And how the f** would we even bring it back from Alaska!
    There were about a dozen of those produced, in the late 60's? There are only a couple known to exist today. The company was extremely innovative, but faded and died so its an orpahn.

No that is not running. It needs to be restored.

I brought mine over from England in a shipping container on a boat. Seems like that one could be brought down from Alaska in a container by rail, or even on the back of a flatbed truck or trailer.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There were about a dozen of those produced, in the late 60's? There are only a couple known to exist today. The company was extremely innovative, but faded and died so its an orpahn.

No that is not running. It needs to be restored.

I brought mine over from England in a shipping container on a boat. Seems like that one could be brought down from Alaska in a container by rail, or even on the back of a flatbed truck or trailer.

[video=youtube_share;bFEoMO0pc7k]http://youtu.be/bFEoMO0pc7k[/video]

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    So the dang ferner(napalm) and I might go shooting tomorrow.

JP or Winamac.

Anybody wanna join us?

I'm not for sure if he's going, but I definitely am. I'll probably be up there around 9. Leaning towards Winamac.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    @WD
    Look what I found :drool:
    $(KGrHqRHJFUE+S-CYTnrBP4jFEgeJw~~60_58.JPG

Trying to see if they can make it in PINK for me like this one.
    Tactical Solutions Performance Extended Mag Release Ruger 10/22

I have never had plans to get a trigger job on the 10/22. I think that's cheating. The auto bolt release is more just cause i'm lazy but I know that is not needed for Appleseed wise. The extended magazine I have used Clif45's and love it. It's ssoo much easier to get the 'clip' out vs the little stub I have.

I need to think just a bit more on the Lake Village one.
    I'm now at 60% yes, 40% no. I did notice you did not answer the question of are you going?

Pink? ... You, sir, are not right in the head!

A nice trigger is no more cheating than the bolt release or extended magazine release. None of them are necessary items for Appleseed but they are "nice to have" items. Have you ever tried a Volquartsen (or similar) trigger on a Ruger 10/22?

Ahhhh ... you have jogged my memory. The Lake Village Appleseed is on September 28-29 ... same weekend as the NFA Noob shoot ... which I made the list for. If you tell me that you will signup for the Appleseed right now, I'll drop out of the NFA Day and sign up to work that shoot.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    You know what? ... I'm going to drop out of the NFA shoot even if you (Jedi) don't go. I think supporting the local Appleseed is more important so I'll be signing up to work it.

Hope to see some of you there.

Added: It looks like Raitekk is now in at NFA Noob Day.

Last edited:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN

That thing is awesome looking. I don't know anything about snow tracs, but man it looks like a lot of fun could be had. I'm not very mechanical, fixing vehicles, but just watching and learning is awesome for me. When my buddy fixed my truck, I was right there watching everything, technology amazes me. I don't even mind being the gopher. That's what I usually am for projects, I can fix the stuff, but it would probably at least ten times longer and a lot more swear words then someone else.

i still want to check out the other one you have. If you get the new one, sounds like a great deal for being so rare. I'd be glad to watch you get it up and running. Lol. Who knows I might even learn something.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom