Not open for further replies.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Frostybeersex,

I found a link to buy those mags. http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/smi-a11.htm

They appear to be in stock at $26 they're not quite as appetizing as $17 but they do work. They also have M&P 9mm mags too, here: http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/smi-a12.htm
    Have any of you tried the extended 20 or 32 round promags for the m&p iI believe they make them? also who has a m&p 40? I have a sigma and want to see if a mag would lock in and continue checking function from their..

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :crying: & more :crying: followed by :xmad:
    Well AC at home is up and running again and now cooling at 55 deg vs the 70 deg is was doing before.
    Took 1.5 lbs of freon and also having the drainage pipe unglogged.
    Unit is 25-30 years old so... :whistle:
    Next up WD you will be happy to know that the breaks have been replaced on the car.

There goes a hit on my 308 fund! :xmad:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    :crying: & more :crying: followed by :xmad:
    Well AC at home is up and running again and now cooling at 55 deg vs the 70 deg is was doing before.
    Took 1.5 lbs of freon and also having the drainage pipe unglogged.
    Unit is 25-30 years old so... :whistle:
    Next up WD you will be happy to know that the breaks have been replaced on the car.

Replaced my 19 year old AC and furnace 10 days ago. Put in a new 5 ton unit. Way better!!! Runs less often, house is cooler.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    ... Next up WD you will be happy to know that the breaks have been replaced on the car.

It's about time. That last ride in your car was like ... :nailbite:

It shouldn't sound like a millstone grinding flour every time you try to stop.

It sounds like you paid someone to fix it for you.

If we included the members with mental disabilities we could field an entire league.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    BTW ... this is the last day to sign up and submit your information for the KD Appleseed at CAJMTC next weekend. If things remain the way they are right now, it should be one of the best shoots ever for the five people that signed up. It's a 2:1 instructor to student ratio for this shoot. Each shooter should have their own instructor on the line throughout the weekend.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    BTW ... this is the last day to sign up and submit your information for the KD Appleseed at CAJMTC next weekend. If things remain the way they are right now, it should be one of the best shoots ever for the five people that signed up. It's a 2:1 instructor to student ratio for this shoot. Each shooter should have their own instructor on the line throughout the weekend.

:blahblah: ;)
    Is Project Applesee (C) losing steam in our area or is this normal to have a low number of attendance or is it seasonal?
    :dunno:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    :blahblah: ;)
    Is Project Applesee (C) losing steam in our area or is this normal to have a low number of attendance or is it seasonal?
    :dunno:

Regionally ... I dunno ... not sure ... NWI hasn't been all that hot on Appleseed™ since the first two at NPCCC. Lake Village has fared better as far as consistency in attendance numbers. The rest of the state does a lot better as far as filling the line. I'm a little surprised that two metro areas can be so far apart when it comes to filling the line at these shoots (comparing NWI and the Indy area).

It's been discussed it before and we're not sure if it's an image problem, a promotion problem, an intimidation problem, economics or a combination of these and other yet-unidentified factors. Certainly the last Appleseed™ at NPCCC suffered from bad timing (Memorial Day weekend, I think?). The next one at NPCCC I believe is also in a rough time slot (Thanksgiving weekend?).

Image problem could be that people think we are anti-government or some sort of militia organization. We're not any of that by any stretch of the imagination. We are non-political and simply think of ourselves as a heritage and marksmanship organization.

Promotion could be that we aren't relaying our message via effective means. We're also trying to find the most effective venues to reach people. I know we struck gold by partnering with Wolf Ammunition this past month for the last KD Shoot and a Cabela's (Hammond) partnership is in the works.

Intimidation could stem from the fact that a fair number of gun owners (mostly males) don't feel they need to learn anything like basic marksmanship ... or that they already know it. Some people don't like formal instruction or having "rules" to follow during instruction. In this particular case, maybe KD shooting is the intimidating factor. At first look, it's intimidating to think that you have to hit a target at 400 yards ... consistently ... sometimes without a scope ... always without a rest.

Economics could be the cost of ammunition and/or travel expnses. I can't see how the cost of the class could be a factor. Where else can you get an entire weekend of quality, basic marksmanship (the best there is this side of the recruiters desk ... IMHO) for $100 (females and anyone under 21 attend at severely discounted rates). Ammunition is hard to find but seriously, individually, we'll burn through just as much ammunition at a single Meet & Shoot. The average Appleseed™ requires 500 rounds for the weekend with the actual amount used being typically less than 400 rounds.

Still ... I would rather have these 5 committed souls on the line than 20 people that had to be coerced, dragged, or bribed to attend the Appleseed™. The last Appleseed™ offered free ammunition from the sponsor. I think that is why we had 36 or so shooters for that Appleseed™. They are still sponsoring our shoots but this time around there is no ammunition being provided. That certainly is a factor in the attendance numbers this time around. We'll see how this one shakes out.

I was serious about being excited for this shoot. This is the lowest number of attendees since the inaugural event (I attended) when we had eight shooters. The top instructors in the program aboard one of the best shooting ranges the DOD has to offer ... it should be a seriously good time with some excellent instructing and learning. :yesway:

Last edited:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    :rockwoot: we may be gaining another "south of 30" NWI Ingo member. Just got home from the doctors office and after a few short moments of my check up we spent a good 30 minutes talking guns, self defense, gun shops, open and concealed carry, and also the no firearms sign on the door. He seemed interested in the meet and shoots we do, he does smoke an occasional cigar, but only 2 a year. His practice is in Cedar Lake, he live in Lowell and he's a transplant of New York. He referred to New York as communist and described Illinois with the same disdain.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Regionally ... I dunno ... not sure ... NWI hasn't been all that hot on Appleseed since the first two at NPCCC. Lake Village has fared better as far as consistency in attendance numbers. The rest of the state does a lot better as far as filling the line. I'm a little surprised that two metro areas can be so far apart when it comes to filling the line at these shoots (comparing NWI and the Indy area).

It's been discussed it before and we're not sure if it's an image problem, a promotion problem, an intimidation problem, economics or a combination of these and other yet-unidentified factors. Certainly the last Appleseed at NPCCC suffered from bad timing (Memorial Day weekend, I think?). The next one at NPCCC I believe is also in a rough time slot (Thanksgiving weekend?).

Image problem could be that people think we are anti-government or some sort of militia organization. We're not any of that by any stretch of the imagination. We are non-political and simply think of ourselves as a heritage and marksmanship organization.

Promotion could be that we aren't relaying our message via effective means. We're also trying to find the most effective venues to reach people. I know we struck gold by partnering with Wolf Ammunition this past month for the last KD Shoot and a Cabela's (Hammond) partnership is in the works.

Intimidation could stem from the fact that a fair number of gun owners (mostly males) don't feel they need to learn anything like basic marksmanship ... or that they already know it. Some people don't like formal instruction or having "rules" to follow during instruction. In this particular case, maybe KD shooting is the intimidating factor. At first look, it's intimidating to think that you have to hit a target at 400 yards ... consistently ... sometimes without a scope ... always without a rest.

Economics could be the cost of ammunition and/or travel expnses. I can't see how the cost of the class could be a factor. Where else can you get an entire weekend of quality, basic marksmanship (the best there is this side of the recruiters desk ... IMHO) for $100 (females and anyone under 21 attend at severely discounted rates). Ammunition is hard to find but seriously, individually, we'll burn through just as much ammunition at a single Meet & Shoot. The average Appleseed requires 500 rounds for the weekend with the actual amount used being typically less than 400 rounds.

Still ... I would rather have these 5 committed souls on the line than 20 people that had to be coerced, dragged, or bribed to attend the Appleseed. The last Appleseed offered free ammunition from the sponsor. I think that is why we had 36 or so shooters for that Appleseed. They are still sponsoring our shoots but this time around there is no ammunition being provided. That certainly is a factor in the attendance numbers this time around. We'll see how this one shakes out.

I was serious about being excited for this shoot. This is the lowest number of attendees since the inaugural event (I attended) when we had eight shooters. The top instructors in the program aboard one of the best shooting ranges the DOD has to offer ... it should be a seriously good time with some excellent instructing and learning. :yesway:

Im really interested in Appleseed, but I haven't shown much interest in it because of my health issues. Hoping by next year I'll be able to get involved when this is all under control and I'm in better shape.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Regionally ... I dunno ... not sure ... NWI hasn't been all that hot on Appleseed™ since the first two at NPCCC. Lake Village has fared better as far as consistency in attendance numbers. The rest of the state does a lot better as far as filling the line. I'm a little surprised that two metro areas can be so far apart when it comes to filling the line at these shoots (comparing NWI and the Indy area).

It's been discussed it before and we're not sure if it's an image problem, a promotion problem, an intimidation problem, economics or a combination of these and other yet-unidentified factors. Certainly the last Appleseed™ at NPCCC suffered from bad timing (Memorial Day weekend, I think?). The next one at NPCCC I believe is also in a rough time slot (Thanksgiving weekend?).

Economics could be the cost of ammunition and/or travel expnses. I can't see how the cost of the class could be a factor. Where else can you get an entire weekend of quality, basic marksmanship (the best there is this side of the recruiters desk ... IMHO) for $100 (females and anyone under 21 attend at severely discounted rates). Ammunition is hard to find but seriously, individually, we'll burn through just as much ammunition at a single Meet & Shoot. The average Appleseed™ requires 500 rounds for the weekend with the actual amount used being typically less than 400 rounds.

Still ... I would rather have these 5 committed souls on the line than 20 people that had to be coerced, dragged, or bribed to attend the Appleseed™. The last Appleseed™ offered free ammunition from the sponsor. I think that is why we had 36 or so shooters for that Appleseed™. They are still sponsoring our shoots but this time around there is no ammunition being provided. That certainly is a factor in the attendance numbers this time around. We'll see how this one shakes out.

:popcorn:
    Hum... more to ponder about for me.
    Not liking the fact that NWI is 'so not taking advantage' of these events.
    I dread having to actually attend an event to better understand why it's not going anywhere here in our area.
    Thanks for the info. More to think about now.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    I have been trying to attend one this year but it seems my schedule has messed all of them up for me. The chesterton event being right before thanksgiving really does not sit well with my better half... I had intended to attend the september appleseed but I believe I have a family reunion that weekend.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    We understand that people have lives. It's all ok. We'll continue to hold these events and we'll assess the interest level as we go along. I'm not a spokesperson or anywhere in the decision loop but I imagine that repeated low-to-no turnouts might cause a change in scheduling at some point in the future. We have to use resources (instructors) effectively.

The instructors do not get paid, some get a small reimbursement for expenses but a lot of the incidental costs are covered out-of-pocket. They just upped the registration price this year from $80 to $100 to keep the program from going under. A few of the top instructors really stretch themselves thin by instructing almost every weekend from spring to fall ... I know our very own AuntieBellum is one of them. In addition to holding down the job that pays the bills, they spend the weekends driving from one end of the state to the other to teach. I'm pretty sure the last Lake Village Appleseed™ had an instructor coming over from Ohio.

Sometimes there are casualties along the way. The Shoot Boss (Senior Instructor) at my first Appleseed™ was an excellent instructor. He taught both portions, marksmanship and instruction, with a passion and expertise that ignited my interest in the program. However, he's not around anymore. I never found out or asked why but I think the fact that he was averaging over 30 weekends per year teaching Appleseed™ might have something to do with it. Maybe there were family issues or maybe he just got tired and burned out ... I don't know. I do know it was a shame to lose him.

Anyway ... enough philosophical blathering ... or ranting if you prefer.

If you can make it out to an Appleseed™ ... great! We would love to have ya! If you can't make it right now, it's ok. You know where to find us.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    well snob i'm 50/50 on the lake village 1 right now.
    r u going 2 be there?
    i think i need about 2 to 4 more 10/22 clips :P for a total of 4 to 6 plus would like to mod the 10/22 a bit but dont see that happened before i go. (extended clip release, that thing clif has to auto lock the bolt) and put some skater tape on the bottom for more grip.

i ask if u r going cause jedi neeeds a mat

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am very interested in Appleseed

BUT

I'm arthritic.

So, spending 2 days, rain or shine, laying on the ground is simply not something that I can do. I might be able to pull off 1 day. Maybe. I've researched and strongly recommended people to the Appleseed Project, just don't see that I can do it. I'd love to learn how to be a better shooter. Love to hear about the history (major history buff!).

2 days, laying on the ground, even on a padded mat, just not going to happen.

Oh, I could get down on the ground, even get up the first time. Probably the second time. Unlikely the 3rd time. Certainly not the 4th time. Guess I could just stay there until the ambulance shows up?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom