Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've gone over to the Dark Side, switched from a 45 1911 to a 9mm Glock

Well, there is no question that I'm a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. Love them. Train with them. Been shooting them for about 30 years.

But I've decided to switch to a Glock 19 for carry (and occasional the smaller Glock 26). I own both. I've trained some with both. I don't hate them. I'm not as accurate with a Glock as I am with a 1911 but that will come with practice practice practice.

2 reasons for the changeover.

• Arthritis (less recoil = less arthritis pain)
    • Capacity (15 9mm vs 7 45acp)

For the past year or so I've been thinking that I don't want to get caught short in a gunfight. Despite the fact that most gunfights have only 3 or 4 shots fired, I don't think its prudent to bet on averages. More is better. 9mm ammo has gotten much better, modern 9mm hollowpoints are much more reliable, safer, than they used to be. I switched to a double stack 1911 in 45acp a few months ago. Was shooting it on Friday and the recoil was just not something I can continue to justify, given my arthritis.

So yesterday I bought a holster from Gander Mountain for a G17/19/26 and loaded up the 19. Today I'm carrying the G19.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    But where would we go
    We? I guess anyone who wants to join is invited, lol.

I'm thinking somewhere out west except CA. Not even joking. It's kinda ****ed up but you guys are the closest friends I have ever since I got into trucking, so I'm not leaving much behind(that sounds bad lol). Everyone else I knew got out of here and I think it's my turn.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana

I'm thinking somewhere out west except CA. Not even joking. It's kinda ****ed up but you guys are the closest friends I have ever since I got into trucking, so I'm not leaving much behind(that sounds bad lol). Everyone else I knew got out of here and I think it's my turn.

You gotta do what ya gotta do man! That is perfectly understandable.
    but we all know you just tryna get away from jedi! nobody blames ya :laugh:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yeah, so if I end up with a bunch of land in Montana or something, you're all invited to come shoot, just gotta get yourselves there, lol

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The world is totally f****d up.

Welcome to the dark side.
    Figured you would like my choice.

And no, I'm not selling off the Detonics 1911 collection.

Yeah, so if I end up with a bunch of land in Montana or something, you're all invited to come shoot, just gotta get yourselves there, lol
    Lots of jobs in the both North & South Dakota, Kansas and Montana.

Let us know when we can come shoot some Prairie Dogs. I can see it now. The NWI INGO Prairie Dog Shoot Road Trip. I'll bring the cigars!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I would give the M&P a fair chance.
    I tried. Didn't like the grip feel. Felt like a Sig to me :(

Then again, I'm not a fan of the grip angle of the Glock. I tend to shoot high with a Glock, probably because I'm so used to the grip angle of the 1911.

I'm a huge fan of the CZ75 and have a bunch of those, its my house gun. Thought about that as a carry gun too. Glock is a bit lighter, figured I'd give it a try. I have to say that it was easy to carry the G19 today. Wore a Galco KingTuk in a pair of cargo shorts held up by a Cabela's Double Duty gun belt. Despite the fact that the holster was still pretty stiff, it was a comfortable carry. Light weight of a Glock is a pleasant change from the double stack Detonics 1911. Same basic size, but more weight in magazine and a bit more weight to the gun.

Oh yeah? Starting to look, haven't gotten too deep into it yet.
    Explore oil/fracking jobs and the companies that support the oil/fracking industries.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Your wife really likes the M&P, it's okay to admit that if you weren't so invested in the G-lock you'd switch too.
    At first yes I mite have switch but after running and gunning with a M&P I have a problem with my thumb hitting the slide lock. I'm not willing to retrain to use a M&P after 16 years with a glock.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I tried. Didn't like the grip feel. Felt like a Sig to me :(

Then again, I'm not a fan of the grip angle of the Glock. I tend to shoot high with a Glock, probably because I'm so used to the grip angle of the 1911.

I'm a huge fan of the CZ75 and have a bunch of those, its my house gun. Thought about that as a carry gun too. Glock is a bit lighter, figured I'd give it a try. I have to say that it was easy to carry the G19 today. Wore a Galco KingTuk in a pair of cargo shorts held up by a Cabela's Double Duty gun belt. Despite the fact that the holster was still pretty stiff, it was a comfortable carry. Light weight of a Glock is a pleasant change from the double stack Detonics 1911. Same basic size, but more weight in magazine and a bit more weight to the gun.
    I'm shocked you didn't look into a p07 or p09.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Explore oil/fracking jobs and the companies that support the oil/fracking industries.
    Interesting, just a quick glance and a lot of them are driving jobs. I wouldn't mind that though. Would get to be wherever home becomes, every day, on a regular schedule.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    But where would we go

BROMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Well I just put a deposit down on a TDI. It's the last 2013 Passat SE of its color with a manual trans out there. The 14's are coming down the pipe but I doubt I would have gotten the same deal on one of those.

Was hoping for the Opera Red but those are extinct for 2013, so it looks like it will be Platinum Gray w/black interior.

After driving nothing but Fords for the last 25 years I kinda feel like I'm going out on a limb moving to the VW. Every one of those Fords have done me right. I sure hope the Passat can live up to my expectations and I don't come home with a lemon.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Well I just put a deposit down on a TDI. It's the last 2013 Passat SE of its color with a manual trans out there. The 14's are coming down the pipe but I doubt I would have gotten the same deal on one of those.

Was hoping for the Opera Red but those are extinct for 2013, so it looks like it will be Platinum Gray w/black interior.

After driving nothing but Fords for the last 25 years I kinda feel like I'm going out on a limb moving to the VW. Every one of those Fords have done me right. I sure hope the Passat can live up to my expectations and I don't come home with a lemon.

You're a braver man than I. Good choice though. I've heard few (serious) complaints about those. I'd love to pick up a diesel VW wagon someday, missed out on a deal when my old boss was selling his. Post a picture when you take delivery

I've never bought a car with less than 150k. I figure if it's made it to 150, it's been well maintained and most wear parts have been replaced and I'll get another 100 out of it. Plus, they're much much cheaper on their second lives. I did buy the wife an 09 Subaru Legacy which has been good to us, but I bought it in '10 with 80k and about $8k in receipts for maintenance/wear items. I hate sending off the monthly payments, I keep thinking I could buy 3 cars a year for what this thing costs me.

I'd love to buy a new car, just scared of getting a dud/lemon and being stuck with payments and repairs etc. I've taken several cars to the 300k mark and one to 450k. I don't drive much anymore so maybe it's time to try something new. I also only buy base models with no options, no air, manual trans, crank windows, manual locks etc. They're getting harder and harder to find and I keep ending up with early 90's cars but rust is destroying all the "good cars" .

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom