• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Dropping off the mags today bob. Guessing around noon or so.
    If you want to meet for a cigar this afternoon I'm going to be about 1-1:30.

You missed a GREAT meal yesterday with the steak cook out. Rib Eyes and T-Bones at the Clubhouse, baked potatoes, sauted onions/mushrooms, spinach/pasta salad and potato salad. Oh, and one of the guys brought in a case of beer to share too. We also had polish sausages/buns and some venison burgers for anyone who straggled in.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

1) Make sure your cellphone is charged so you can call 9-1-1
    2) Walk in groups and never alone
    3) Call 9-1-1
    4) Scream and force yourself to vomit if attacked
    5) Call 9-1-1
    6) Don't text/call while walking since you can't call 9-1-1 that way
    7) Call 9-1-1
    8) Carry this free Schereville PD whistle with you to attract attion if needed
    9) Call 9-1-1
    10) Call 9-1-1

That about sums up the class WD.
    :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    1) Make sure your cellphone is charged so you can call 9-1-1
    2) Walk in groups and never alone
    3) Call 9-1-1
    4) Scream and force yourself to vomit if attacked
    5) Call 9-1-1
    6) Don't text/call while walking since you can't call 9-1-1 that way
    7) Call 9-1-1
    8) Carry this free Schereville PD whistle with you to attract attion if needed
    9) Call 9-1-1
    10) Call 9-1-1
    11) Don't fight back, you could get hurt
    12) Don't carry a knife or gun (you could get hurt, rely on a man to protect you)

That about sums up the class WD.
    :)
    FIFY

By the way, my daughter attended college last summer. The campus police pretty much said all of the above things that Jedi & I typed above (points 1-12) and they did, in fact, give out 'safety whistles' to both the girls and the guys. They refused to call them 'rape whistles.' The advantage on a college campus is that most schools have 'panic poles' all over campus which are camera equipped posts that have panic buttons, 2-way communications, etc. On most campuses you are always in sight of 2 or more of these panic poles. Kids are encouraged to use them BEFORE there is a problem IF THEY EVEN SUSPECT there may be an issue.

Sadly, in real life, there are no 'panic poles'

Most of personal safety is situational awareness and common sense. But, as they say, S#!T HAPPENS.

But to be fair, I would like to see what SCHERERVILLE is teaching.

I purchased, and my daughter is reading, a couple books on college safety for single girls. I have to say, they generally say that girls should AGGRESSIVELY FIGHT BACK and, stealing a phrase from the NRA, these books say that girls should REFUSE TO BE A VICTIM.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Wow ... seriously, I need to stop posting links to anything potentially useful or helpful.

This is Schererville Police ... not the Illinois State Police (the ones advocating vomiting and peeing). To quote the article:

Participants will learn basic physical maneuvers to escape an assault. Instructors will explain the importance of remaining mentally alert.

The class is free. Sure, it's the evil po-po teaching the class. We all know how much they love to stomp on private citizens and brutalize them while shooting their dogs, taking their lunch money and eating their babies but .... If there's one nugget of information or just one skill that would allow a loved one to survive a brutal attack, wouldn't you want your loved one to be armed with that nugget? ... no matter who is teaching it? If they teach the two points mentioned in the quote effectively, what's the harm? They didn't say they were going to turn anyone into Bruce Lee. They're just teaching the basics needed to escape.

As a martial artist that used to teach self-defense let me say this: A one-time class can only instill a false sense of ability in a student. Like any other physical skill, self-defense techniques require repetitive practice to master and the correct mindset to use.

I would say that repetitive training can also develop a false sense of ability at its worst and increased confidence at its best. The only thing that can even start to approach full-on self-defense preparedness is repetitive training combined with real world engagement. Rory Miller makes the case better than I can. My point is if this training is available for free, you would be silly not to consider it for your loved ones. They only stand to lose 2.5 hours if it's worthless and possibly gain a chance to survive a violent encounter if there's even one thing of value presented in the class.

Sure, they might tell your wife/daughter that guns and knives are bad and not to carry them but if you married or raised them, they should already be smart enough to filter out the crap.

Anyway ... it was just a thought. :)

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    When I am going to work, the holster you made is not convenient since I would have to take off my belt to get it off. Since I cannot carry in IL, I need to find a better way to carry the gun while in the car.

I have some IWB clips that you can use on that holster if you want to try them.

0B113271-13E7-4FD4-B0F0-4DA3921205FF-251-000000220BAF8983.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wow ... seriously, I need to stop posting links to anything potentially useful or helpful.

This is Schererville Police ... not the Illinois State Police (the ones advocating vomiting and peeing). To quote the article:

The class is free. Sure, it's the evil po-po teaching the class. We all know how much they love to stomp on private citizens and brutalize them while shooting their dogs, taking their lunch money and eating their babies but .... If there's one nugget of information or just one skill that would allow a loved one to survive a brutal attack, wouldn't you want your loved one to be armed with that nugget? ... no matter who is teaching it? If they teach the two points mentioned in the quote effectively, what's the harm? They didn't say they were going to turn anyone into Bruce Lee. They're just teaching the basics needed to escape.

I would say that repetitive training can also develop a false sense of ability at its worst and increased confidence at its best. The only thing that can even start to approach full-on self-defense preparedness is repetitive training combined with real world engagement. Rory Miller makes the case better than I can. My point is if this training is available for free, you would be silly not to consider it for your loved ones. They only stand to lose 2.5 hours if it's worthless and possibly gain a chance to survive a violent encounter if there's even one thing of value presented in the class.

Sure, they might tell your wife/daughter that guns and knives are bad and not to carry them but if you married or raised them, they should already be smart enough to filter out the crap.

Anyway ... it was just a thought. :)

Take a chill pill.

1) Lone postd about this class the last time they offered it and I don't think we got a report back from anyone who may have gone or sent someone to it so no clue what they are teaching
    2) It's the popo they can't be trusted period
    3) I'm sure NSA will want to see the list of sign ins/registrations so they can put those poeple on the list as well
    4) It's the popp they can't be trusted period
    5) This is the status update thread you can't expect us to be serious in here
    6) It's the popp they can't be trusted period
    7) read step 6 again, repeat, repeat, repeat...

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Bus stop rape: Michael Campbell, 28, charged in attack near border of Humboldt Park, Ukrainian Village

I wonder if things could have been a little different if she had been armed. I guess it does not matter because she could have not carry on public transportation in Chicago. At lest they have a suspect in custody.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Take a chill pill.

1) Lone postd about this class the last time they offered it and I don't think we got a report back from anyone who may have gone or sent someone to it so no clue what they are teaching
    2) It's the popo they can't be trusted period
    3) I'm sure NSA will want to see the list of sign ins/registrations so they can put those poeple on the list as well
    4) It's the popp they can't be trusted period
    5) This is the status update thread you can't expect us to be serious in here
    6) It's the popp they can't be trusted period
    7) read step 6 again, repeat, repeat, repeat...

So I shouldn't take any of this seriously? :rofl:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom