• Status
    Not open for further replies.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Both the Passat and the Jetta TDI share the same engine. Their exhaust configurations differ but for all practical purposes they use the same engine/drivetrain.

Pretty much. The Passat requires urea, the fuel pump has a longer stroke, the turbo is air/water instead of air/air. Subtle differences but there are a few.

As far as engine needing extra care? WTF?!?

Lets just say you need to pay attention to a few things that you don't have to with a gasser...

- Getting quality fuel. One batch of sub-par fuel and you could be in for some expensive repairs not covered under warranty. You need to pay attention to where you fuel up (high volume stations preferred). Shouldn't be a problem but you never know.

- Having to add urea. Every 10k supposedly. Not a biggie but it's there.

- The fact that urea freezes at 12 degrees fahrenheit. I need to find out what happens in this instance since we do get below that around here.

- The need for fuel additives. This is debatable but it's food for thought.

- The need for a very specific, and expensive, motor oil. Every 10k certainly helps here.

Also, from what I gather, you are not supposed to let these cars idle very long at cold start up in the winter. You need to get in and go so you can have heat. They will not "warm up" like a gasser. Apparently why heated seats are standard on the entry level TDI.

Then of course we have the bad turbo, bad HPFP, bad urea pump debates. Much like OC/CC debates around here. Granted, you generally only get the people with problems complaining on forums but these failures are noted over and over.

I don't think any of these will deter me from buying in the end, but I welcome your opinions on any or all of those points.

As for fuel economy, I get an HONEST 38 to 40 mpg for my LONG TERM AVERAGE fuel economy.

This is good to hear and in line with what they say about the Passat's mileage being underrated. Also my primary reason for buying the TDI.

Welcome flashpuppy and koutsevil! :cheers:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Answers in RED below

Pretty much. The Passat requires urea, the fuel pump has a longer stroke, the turbo is air/water instead of air/air. Subtle differences but there are a few.
    Yes, engine is the same but there are differences in a couple things above and below the engine. The urea is for the exhaust system.

Lets just say you need to pay attention to a few things that you don't have to with a gasser...

- Getting quality fuel. One batch of sub-par fuel and you could be in for some expensive repairs not covered under warranty. You need to pay attention to where you fuel up (high volume stations preferred). Shouldn't be a problem but you never know.NON ISSUE, I get most of my fuel from Speedway at various locations around the area, not sure if ANY of them are high volume for pumping diesel.

- Having to add urea. Every 10k supposedly. Not a biggie but it's there. TRUE in almost all small diesels of all makes that are larger than the Jetta, its needed to meet emissions. Mercedes has not seem to have had any serious issues and has been doing this too.

- The fact that urea freezes at 12 degrees fahrenheit. I need to find out what happens in this instance since we do get below that around here. UNKNOWN

- The need for fuel additives. This is debatable but it's food for thought.BULLS#!T. Absolutely not needed unless temps are SUSTAINED at below -10F. I ran a fleet of diesel trucks, have diesel tractors and car. NOT NEEDED except as noted. Even then, pretty much must STAY BELOW -10F for a couple days.

- The need for a very specific, and expensive, motor oil. Every 10k certainly helps here. meh, I go to jiffy lube, got 77,000 trouble free miles and still ticking

Also, from what I gather, you are not supposed to let these cars idle very long at cold start up in the winter. You need to get in and go so you can have heat. They will not "warm up" like a gasser. Apparently why heated seats are standard on the entry level TDI.Never heard this rumor. The engines actually warm up just fine and they run hotter than gas engines so I think this is some sort of wild internet rumor.

Then of course we have the bad turbo, bad HPFP, bad urea pump debates. Much like OC/CC debates around here. Granted, you generally only get the people with problems complaining on forums but these failures are noted over and over. Any car can be a lemon, any car can get a bad part. The fact is that small diesels make up about 50% of all vehicles in Europe and are growing here because they work, and work well. When I switched my truck fleet from gas to diesel we got DOUBLE the engine life. I expect nothing less from my Jetta. I'd expect nothing less if I bought a Passat.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Wife finally gave me the go-ahead to shoot at my own range!

With Melen recoverying from surgery its been pretty calm around the house. No shooting for Melen, but she said she is going to come down to our range anyway. Might sneek a gun in her hand if the wife stays up at the house. A couple friends are coming over, bringing their guns, pulled out a couple of mine to play with.

Gen 4 Glock 19 with custom Occluder "2 eyes open" rear sight
    Smith & Wesson 624-4 45acp revolver, Model of 1989
    CZ VZ-58 with folding stock
    Prototype of the Detonics MTX double stack 1911

Won't be able to join you folks out at the range this weekend in Winamac, so this is the best I can do for now.

Hopefully Melen's recovery will continue and I can actually get out and train a bit more frequently.

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Two of man's best friend's laying by my side.

BBFE5AFE-2B24-4BDC-8C28-64102C5418AD-2095-0000030A07903DA9_zps5b48b8e0.jpg

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I have a cuatomer who sells roofing matetial and rents roll-off dumpster. Buy all the material, get free delvery if you rent their dumpster. Good idea really. Anywho, the grapple hoop on the box snapped off when they were reloading the box onto the truck. Dumpster goes careening backwards off the truck and into the homeowners garage!!! :laugh:

Anyway, I'm on site later trying to fix the thing up. Lo and behold, torching on the outside of the box = fire inside the box. CRAP!!! WATER!!!!!!!!! long story short, just another day. :popcorn:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have a cuatomer who sells roofing matetial and rents roll-off dumpster. Buy all the material, get free delvery if you rent their dumpster. Good idea really. Anywho, the grapple hoop on the box snapped off when they were reloading the box onto the truck. Dumpster goes careening backwards off the truck and into the homeowners garage!!! :laugh:

Anyway, I'm on site later trying to fix the thing up. Lo and behold, torching on the outside of the box = fire inside the box. CRAP!!! WATER!!!!!!!!! long story short, just another day. :popcorn:

Hum... I don't think you should be reloading. :rofl:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    fyi

DNR WINAMAC replied to my email regarding the youth day event results.

go to the meet & shoot to find out more. :)

But I can't go to the meet & shoot. If I have a note from the doctor will you tell me?

Thanks a lot for the responses Bob, if I may call you Bob. I really appreciate it!

You have helped push me closer yet to the TDI.
    Most people call me Bob!

Someday I'll let everyone know my real name.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Well I survived day 1 in Lowell/Schneider. That really sucked. The route wouldn't be too bad if it had notes, and if those rednecks could put numbers in a visible location on their house. Going back tomorrow for an "easier" route that is the same stuff. I get back home to north of 30 on Monday, but I will be in high class Munster, so it won't be too bad.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Bah! The powders, primers and what not are on the far side of the shop. There's a full wall between them and certain doom. I should be fine...

:faint: So I should be listening on my HAM radio for a big explosion in southern lake county hu? :p

But I can't go to the meet & shoot. If I have a note from the doctor will you tell me?

[/QUOTE]
    Guess you and the no shows will have to wait until the AARs get posted then.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom