Jan 13, 2009
    NWI

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Hey Jedi... what WD said...

Also you can get a education from these guys... they make a real nice barrel and have done a lot of long range work over the years...

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: The Ideal Barrel For A .308 Caliber Tactical Rifle

basically more barrel more velocity depending on burn rate of load... and if you load for the specific rifle and have a bolt gun your going to get better consistency out of the system...

Completely forgot about the reloading factor. Reloading will certainly help minimize some of the differences between platforms. You will be able to tune your loads to a specific barrel/rifle. Good catch, GB!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Skip the 50 BMG unless you want it simply for the cool factor. However, if you want to reach out and seriously touch stuff while still being mobile and somewhat financially solvent, take a look at the .300's or .338's. ;)

but.. but... i want to be better than NYC who just got slapped by the 2nd makers of .50 BMG and told :nono:.
    well looks like i'll eventually talk to you old timers for that 2nd rifle once i get there. .300 like black somthing that the girl from NEI who comes to the meet and shiot has. sacrfice me?
    or .300s like melensdad grendal????
    .338???? never heard of.

oh well its time for bed.

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    Nice stick kyle...give us specs!!

Haha, honestly, I only know that the lower receiver is Rock River and the upper is custom made(from what my buddy told me). He's going to get the specs of it for me. Maybe you guys can help me decipher which brands make each part. I want to find the exact same barrel except in a 14" then get a suppressor.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    The 338 is formidable... the 300 Win mag is popular and will kick you like a mule but atlast you like the Mosin so that isn't gonna be too much for you... Another favorite in the 30 class that I like is the 300 Weatherby for a bit more punch and range... but the 308 Winchester is every bit a thousand yard cartridge in itself...

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, 50 BMG sends a shock wave through my sinuses that I would much rather do without. A suppressed 308 is still loud from the crack of the sound barrier. A longer barrel will shoot flatter due to an increase in fps, but there isn't an improvement in accuracy. Harmonics in the barrel is why groups open and close with different amounts of powder on the load. You have to finds the right match for your barrel.

I can't decide if I want a 20" or a 16" dissipator barrel for my A2 upper. No hurry though.

I don't know if BRO make the pink skulls anymore. They had green zombies too.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    but.. but... i want to be better than NYC who just got slapped by the 2nd makers of .50 BMG and told :nono:.
    well looks like i'll eventually talk to you old timers for that 2nd rifle once i get there. .300 like black somthing that the girl from NEI who comes to the meet and shiot has. sacrfice me?
    or .300s like melensdad grendal????
    .338???? never heard of.

The 338 is formidable... the 300 Win mag is popular and will kick you like a mule but atlast you like the Mosin so that isn't gonna be too much for you... Another favorite in the 30 class that I like is the 300 Weatherby for a bit more punch and range... but the 308 Winchester is every bit a thousand yard cartridge in itself...

No ... not the 300 AAC Blackout (300BLK) or 300 Whisper. I'm talking about the stuff GB is talking about ... .300 Winchester Magnum or it's less-than military cousin ... .300 WSM.

Formidable is pretty appropriate when talking about the .338 Lapua Magnum. Even .338 Federal would be good stand-in for the .300 Win Mag.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Gas-Gun vs. Bolt Action: A tale of two sniper rifles | Atwell Tactical

.308 on left, 300 winchester magnum on left
    cerakote-026.jpg

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Actaeon interesting story... I'll still take my Remy 700, especially over a DPMS...sorry...

by the way the 300 is on the right, not the second left...

take care...

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    It was also throwing the bullet slower.

But the test you describe really depends on the barrel used. Sporter/hunting barrels are contoured lighter than target barrels. All barrels have some harmonic vibration so you can actually tune a barrel of any length to shoot well by altering the harmonic wave pattern of the barrel. Browning's BOSS system does this very effectively, I think Ruger may use a similar system on their Mini 14 Target but I'm not sure of that. It can be as simple as using thick rubber rings on your barrel in various spots to help control the flex caused by the harmonics.

Middle of the night over here, I woke up and am wide awake.:(

BTW, I just bought some Lower Parts Kits from AIM SURPLUS, they are in stock. $69.95 while they last.

Thank you for the heads up. Just ordered one haha. now to buy an upper...:rockwoot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You do realize that you are talking about jedi, right? :D

Hey now! That's why I'm here to learn. :D
    All I know is that after the .30 carbine there is the whimpy .223 followed by the 7.62x39 and then the 7.62x54r and somewhere before the 54r is the .308 (in height i think) but the rest are all foreign to me.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If I bought that, I would have to replace the upper receiver with the a2 that I have. Then I would have to sell the a3 receiver. But, I would probably end up keeping it, and having to buy another barrel to finish that upper... endless spiral.:D

soon enough you won't have this problem.
    you are just going to be told you have no gun fund. :laugh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom