Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For Jedi

BRO-CCS-PINKSKULL-2T.jpg

is this really an option for that gun of yours?
    at valpo bythles they had some type of water treatment coloring system where they can 'paint' your gun. one of the patterns was your skulls but only in b&w. have not seen this pink scheme.

Sounds like an OC night is in order.

I was well aware that you live in St. John. How could I miss it from Jedi's constant verbal abuse? I was just fishing for a Jedi response ... and I got it. :laugh:

@ Jedi - Are you ever going to build your AR?

for me i highly though it i do have a stripped DM ar lower but i have no desire to have an ar. actually i have no desire for .223. i would like to build a hello kity rifle (google it and see the one from ca) but that i know would be a safe queen so who know when it would be build.

next rifle is .308 and i just dont see that working in an ar platform due to recoil.
    why you ask?

the ar system just does not feel right to me. but that may be because i started on the ak and then went to 10/22, .30 carbine so its most likely that i'm not comfirtable with it.
    y u ask?

:rofl:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    is this really an option for that gun of yours?
    at valpo bythles they had some type of water treatment coloring system where they can 'paint' your gun. one of the patterns was your skulls but only in b&w. have not seen this pink scheme.

for me i highly though it i do have a stripped DM ar lower but i have no desire to have an ar. actually i have no desire for .223. i would like to build a hello kity rifle (google it and see the one from ca) but that i know would be a safe queen so who know when it would be build.

next rifle is .308 and i just dont see that working in an ar platform due to recoil.
    why you ask?

the ar system just does not feel right to me. but that may be because i started on the ak and then went to 10/22, .30 carbine so its most likely that i'm not comfirtable with it.
    y u ask?

Here is the link to the Black Rain page, they do have the pink scheme as well. Just like the Black and White, but pink and black instead. Actually looks pretty nice in those colors even. They have it for the 5.56, and think they have it in 308 as well, although not 100%
    Black Rain Ordnance

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Here is the link to the Black Rain page, they do have the pink scheme as well. Just like the Black and White, but pink and black instead. Actually looks pretty nice in those colors even. They have it for the 5.56, and think they have it in 308 as well, although not 100%
    Black Rain Ordnance

looks like its just the lower part that is colored. =(
    and not the rest of the body.
    plus that is a 16" barrel is larrys that size as well?
    not sure what tv's m1a is but im sure longer barrel = better long range right?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    looks like its just the lower part that is colored. =(
    and not the rest of the body.
    plus that is a 16" barrel is larrys that size as well?
    not sure what tv's m1a is but im sure longer barrel = better long range right?

National Match M1A like mine is 22"

The SOCOM M1As are 16" though.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    BEWARE, JEDI IS A PLAGUE CARRIER.
    I saw him Friday and am now sick. At the time he was bragging how he took down the entire office at work.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    but im sure longer barrel = better long range right?

Not neccesarily. Depends on a few factors. Scopes or sights? Shorter barrels are stiffer, increasing accuracy.

A few years ago, someone did a test. Took a 24" barrel 308, shot it and tested it while cuttting the barrel down in 2" increments. It was more accurate at 16" than it was at 24".

But is was also LOUDER. ;)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The Town Hall is across the street from the Police Station & Town Court. I am pretty sure that the Town Hall building (north side of the street) is a legal carry zone. On the other hand, the Police Station & Court (south side of the street) is a NO GUN zone.
    Go to bed

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not neccesarily. Depends on a few factors. Scopes or sights? Shorter barrels are stiffer, increasing accuracy.

A few years ago, someone did a test. Took a 24" barrel 308, shot it and tested it while cuttting the barrel down in 2" increments. It was more accurate at 16" than it was at 24".

It was also throwing the bullet slower.

But the test you describe really depends on the barrel used. Sporter/hunting barrels are contoured lighter than target barrels. All barrels have some harmonic vibration so you can actually tune a barrel of any length to shoot well by altering the harmonic wave pattern of the barrel. Browning's BOSS system does this very effectively, I think Ruger may use a similar system on their Mini 14 Target but I'm not sure of that. It can be as simple as using thick rubber rings on your barrel in various spots to help control the flex caused by the harmonics.

Go to bed
    Middle of the night over here, I woke up and am wide awake.:(

BTW, I just bought some Lower Parts Kits from AIM SURPLUS, they are in stock. $69.95 while they last.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    BEWARE, JEDI IS A PLAGUE CARRIER.
    I saw him Friday and am now sick. At the time he was bragging how he took down the entire office at work.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

and now i have a stye ine the eye. I'm just a good germ. wonder how many more i can get sick. oh i love being the bearer of badness.

oh i want a supressor for the .308 due to the noise level anyways.
    but u got a link to that as i'm sure wd would like to read up on that. me 2

-----
    hey klb u sure you dont want a hug? so u can be just like bill b right now. :rofl:

t-star was wise not to get on the 4:28 on friday. :p

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    It was also throwing the bullet slower.

But the test you describe really depends on the barrel used. Sporter/hunting barrels are contoured lighter than target barrels. All barrels have some harmonic vibration so you can actually tune a barrel of any length to shoot well by altering the harmonic wave pattern of the barrel. Browning's BOSS system does this very effectively, I think Ruger may use a similar system on their Mini 14 Target but I'm not sure of that. It can be as simple as using thick rubber rings on your barrel in various spots to help control the flex caused by the harmonics.

Middle of the night over here, I woke up and am wide awake.:(

BTW, I just bought some Lower Parts Kits from AIM SURPLUS, they are in stock. $69.95 while they last.

It was a bull barrel.

but u got a link to that as i'm sure wd would like to read up on that. me 2

Soory, no link. It was an article in a magazine about 10 years ago when i was getting into bolt action rifles.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Nothing's free, pal.

Shorter, heavier barrel is stiffer and does decrease harmonics. However, you decrease range and possibly sight radius depending on the platform. The bullet will go subsonic sooner and affect point of impact beyond that range as opposed to the same round fired out of a longer barrel. Bullet type/construction will also affect that.

Longer barrel has greater harmonics but, as Melensdad pointed out, it can be tuned. You will have increased range (and possibly sight radius) but now you've also increased weight ... if you went with a heavier barrel.

There's also the issue of heat build up between heavier target barrels and sport/hunting barrels. This will change your point of impact from your first shot to your last shot. The amount of change will depend on the amount of shots fired, period of shooting, weather, etc. That's why every rifleman has a data book for each rifle they own. Hmm .... where have I heard that before? :whistle:

You have to look at each platform and decide what you want to gain and what you want to give up ... then you have to get out and shoot (with your data book in hand).

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Nothing's free, pal.

Shorter, heavier barrel is stiffer and does decrease harmonics. However, you decrease range and possibly sight radius depending on the platform. The bullet will go subsonic sooner and affect point of impact beyond that range as opposed to the same round fired out of a longer barrel. Bullet type/construction will also affect that.

Longer barrel has greater harmonics but, as Melensdad pointed out, it can be tuned. You will have increased range (and possibly sight radius) but now you've also increased weight ... if you went with a heavier barrel.

There's also the issue of heat build up between heavier target barrels and sport/hunting barrels. This will change your point of impact from your first shot to your last shot. The amount of change will depend on the amount of shots fired, period of shooting, weather, etc. That's why every rifleman has a data book for each rifle they own. Hmm .... where have I heard that before? :whistle:

You have to look at each platform and decide what you want to gain and what you want to give up ... then you have to get out and shoot (with your data book in hand).

/thread the snob has spoken.
    c i knew if i asked about barrels, long range shooting he would post. =P
    thanks wd!
    i think what its going to come down for me is probably 2 .308 rifles. one for short to medium range and then the 2nd for long range shooting for precision. (dare i even say a bolt rifle. :runaway:)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :faint:

Are you becoming an :fogey: ???

lol guess so or what i'm slowly understanding is there is no one rifle for all situtation and as i progress from .22lr to .30 carbine and begin to read up on .308 and shooting appleseed targets and wanting to shoot farther its becoming more clear that there will be at least 2 more rifles in my furture for that. a .308 plinker (ie. appleseed targets with ironsights) and eventually a .308 with a scope that i think will go the way of bench rest. :faint:

but that is getting way ahead of myself. i think perhaps that 2nd rifle should maybe even be a .50bmg. =P but who knows that is 4=5 years out. i think even before that 2nd rifle i would like to get the hello kitty rifle done first.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    lol guess so or what i'm slowly understanding is there is no one rifle for all situtation and as i progress from .22lr to .30 carbine and begin to read up on .308 and shooting appleseed targets and wanting to shoot farther its becoming more clear that there will be at least 2 more rifles in my furture for that. a .308 plinker (ie. appleseed targets with ironsights) and eventually a .308 with a scope that i think will go the way of bench rest. :faint:

but that is getting way ahead of myself. i think perhaps that 2nd rifle should maybe even be a .50bmg. =P but who knows that is 4=5 years out. i think even before that 2nd rifle i would like to get the hello kitty rifle done first.

Skip the 50 BMG unless you want it simply for the cool factor. However, if you want to reach out and seriously touch stuff while still being mobile and somewhat financially solvent, take a look at the .300's or .338's. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom