• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    NWI INGO: What is the biggest reason that stops you from training?

Cost?
    Time?
    Gear (holsters/pouches/clothing)?
    Not having the "right" gun?
    Afraid of shooting bad?
    Afraid of being "Too Good" for a course?
    Don't know where to start?
    Anything else?

For me it is not having all my gear, but it is mostly cost.
    I am currently waiting on a couple items to arrive, then my gear will be taken care of,
    so cost of the training and ammo, are the main reasons for me pretty much.
    Once July rolls around, I should have quite a bit saved up, and ammo should be better.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    h7BB036BA
    :D
    Eh, no big loss....:draw:

Cost?
    Time?
    Afraid of shooting bad?
    Anything else?
    Yes...?
    Probably time for me, between work and the family along with other hobbies and activities I really don't get to shoot as often as I'd like. Location is probably factored into that time as well. I have to drive an hour just to shoot, while I could drive 5 min to play golf or do something else. A nice rage closer to NWI would probably increase my shooting 10x.

Gear is a small factor, just because I hate not having the right tool for the job. While I've found that most members of, not only INGO, but the shooting community in general are willing to let you borrow equipment, there isn't a really easy way to interact with those people, unless you are already into shooting sports.

Embarrassment and lack of knowledge are probably also a big setback to newcomers. I guess the only way to really know what to do is to jump right in, but I think a lot of shooters, especially new ones are cautious by nature, so its a catch 22. Having a break down somehow of each type of comp, what to expect, and a "newbie" guide would probably do wonders. :dunno:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

Cost?
    Time?
    Afraid of shooting bad?
    Anything else?

I've heard ... "I don't like all the rules" (in regards to training and competition)

ADDED >>> It seems that some are seeing the word "competition" where you said "training" ... did you mean both?

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    Once I get all my gear and have some extra money saved up,
    I would love to do a bunch of training.
    I would also be very interested in IDPA and 3-Gun, and any other type of competition.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I guess I kind of crossed between the two in my post, but I think the factors are probably the same for both. Didn't touch on cost, because that was never really a main factor for me, but I suppose it might be greater now do to inflated prices on EVERYTHING!

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I've heard ... "I don't like all the rules" (in regards to training and competition)

ADDED >>> It seems that some are seeing the word "competition" where you said "training" ... did you mean both?

Could be either one, but I was leaning more towards training.

Raitekk:

What gear is it that you are waiting on, if you don't mind me asking?

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    Could be either one, but I was leaning more towards training.

Raitekk:

What gear is it that you are waiting on, if you don't mind me asking?

- Raven Concealment M&P 9 Holster
    - Raven Concealment double pistol mag carrier
    - Extra M&P mag, that I got on gunbroker.
    - S.O.E. Belt

It should all be here within the next two weeks or so.

Then later on this summer, I am gonna order a custom Daniel Defense DDM4.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Any NWI INGOers into archery?

Thinking about selling off a few things to buy a decent bow and start saving some money on ammunition...

Need some tips if any one wants to help me out.

I used to shoot a bow when I was a kid, but this new stuff out now has my head spinning

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Thinking about selling off a few things to buy a decent bow and start saving some money on ammunition...

I used to shoot a bow when I was a kid, but this new stuff out now has my head spinning

My wife (Silver on here) shoots bow. She had a pretty nice one a bit back ago. I know shes been looking into getting another one around here and probably starting to shoot again. I know there are a ton of places that you can shoot those indoor at, and of course reusing the arrows is a HUGE plus too. Heck, ive thought about it myself until the ammo becomes more reasonable again.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well...here is the 411. I stepped in a hole at work on the 25th of last month. I went to the clinic (useless). They told me to see my orthopedic surgeon which I did. He kept me off til last Monday. They also are trying to tell me that I didn't get hurt at work so they aren't going to consider it a workman's comp case. I am talking to the union on that one. I went back to work Sunday night and worked 5 12 hour shifts. It's not KILLING me right now, but it is uncomfortable. I am taking NORCO pain killers, but only when I absolutely have to which is intermittently. I see the doc again Monday and will see what he says after I've been back to work. I'm on anti inflammatory drugs as well. So I'm going to take it easy and try not to make it any worse. I SO want to shoot IDPA and steel this year. I wasn't able to last year because of my foot.

LadyGhost is slowly getting better as well. It seems to be two steps forward one back, but she seems to be heading in the right direction.

Oh if anyone locally does HVAC I am in need of a new furnace and AC. Seems my furnace decided that now was a good time to die (the heat exchanger is cracked/rusted.

G

Ghost, you have fo stop those 12 hour shifts. Your body needs time to heal.

Cost?
    Time?
    Afraid of shooting bad?
    Anything else?

Time.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well...here is the 411. I stepped in a hole at work on the 25th of last month. I went to the clinic (useless). They told me to see my orthopedic surgeon which I did. He kept me off til last Monday. They also are trying to tell me that I didn't get hurt at work so they aren't going to consider it a workman's comp case. I am talking to the union on that one. I went back to work Sunday night and worked 5 12 hour shifts. It's not KILLING me right now, but it is uncomfortable. I am taking NORCO pain killers, but only when I absolutely have to which is intermittently. I see the doc again Monday and will see what he says after I've been back to work. I'm on anti inflammatory drugs as well. So I'm going to take it easy and try not to make it any worse. I SO want to shoot IDPA and steel this year. I wasn't able to last year because of my foot.

LadyGhost is slowly getting better as well. It seems to be two steps forward one back, but she seems to be heading in the right direction.

Oh if anyone locally does HVAC I am in need of a new furnace and AC. Seems my furnace decided that now was a good time to die (the heat exchanger is cracked/rusted.

G
    Horse goes lame and they shoot it. Just sayin.... :n00b:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Go to ON TARGET ARCHERY in Steger, IL. Its about 1/2 block south of US30 and just a mile or two west of the IN/IL state line. My daughter got into archery and the best help I got was at ON TARGET. Full shop, plus a target range, you need it and they can help you with it.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.

Cost?
    Time?
    Afraid of shooting bad?
    Anything else?

Yes...?
    Probably time for me, between work and the family along with other hobbies and activities I really don't get to shoot as often as I'd like. Location is probably factored into that time as well. I have to drive an hour just to shoot, while I could drive 5 min to play golf or do something else. A nice rage closer to NWI would probably increase my shooting 10x.

Gear is a small factor, just because I hate not having the right tool for the job. While I've found that most members of, not only INGO, but the shooting community in general are willing to let you borrow equipment, there isn't a really easy way to interact with those people, unless you are already into shooting sports.

Embarrassment and lack of knowledge are probably also a big setback to newcomers. I guess the only way to really know what to do is to jump right in, but I think a lot of shooters, especially new ones are cautious by nature, so its a catch 22. Having a break down somehow of each type of comp, what to expect, and a "newbie" guide would probably do wonders. :dunno:

Well, after read aclarks post, I feel it hit it right on the head for me. So, I'll second aclark's answer! :thumbsup:

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    - Raven Concealment M&P 9 Holster
    - Raven Concealment double pistol mag carrier
    - Extra M&P mag, that I got on gunbroker.
    - S.O.E. Belt

It should all be here within the next two weeks or so.

Then later on this summer, I am gonna order a custom Daniel Defense DDM4.

What if I said that there was a local option that is faster and cheaper, with the same material, quality and warranty - just without the RCS name?

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    So I'm trying to decide between the Vortex Strikefire and the SPARC. I was wondering if anyone has one of each I could try out this week. Even open to other suggestions for an AR platform. I have no idea what else is out there. No EOTechs, too expensive.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You go back to sleep. My 6 yr old has been up for an hr and the 4 yr old just woke up. Besides I can't sleep any more past 0630. So :p

but... but.... if i do that then your % of post in THIS thread vs mine goes up and I can't have that. :rofl:

alreadu up, showered and ready to go. Dd has been up for 2 hours, Ds just got up and almost ready to go, dd2 actually woke up in good mood.

baseball equipment ready to go as well. **sigh** i hate sports.

which brings us to clif's question. =P

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I'm so glad my boys are not wanting to do sports yet. Kinda cold out this morning. And seeing I'm on vaca this coming week, muhahaha I'm gonna get closer to your post %.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom