• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would go 1975 and older because of emission testing in Lake/Porter County.
    I know nothing about Mercury Comets but I agree with lonehoosier. If you are looking at an old car, make sure it is a pre-emission car. I've got a 67 Jeepster that is emissions exempt. The other option is a small diesel, my 2010 VW Jetta is exempt from the semi-annual emission testing too.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I know nothing about Mercury Comets but I agree with lonehoosier. If you are looking at an old car, make sure it is a pre-emission car. I've got a 67 Jeepster that is emissions exempt. The other option is a small diesel, my 2010 VW Jetta is exempt from the semi-annual emission testing too.

Does it go up every year?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Does it go up every year?

Nope. It is tied to the EPA mandates for emissions. When those started they locked the dates into place. Pre-197???? are exempt. 72? 75? I don't recall the year.

Something similar applies to diesels. Light trucks were totally exempt, now I think they have a minimal standard. Cars 2009 (?) and earlier were totally exempt. 2010 and later were required to meet some newer standard. Urea injection is now common in light Diesel engines to comply, but you still don't have to get your car emission tested so you could 'chip' or alter your vehicle and nobody (but the dealership) would likely ever know.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I use to use that loophole with my Chevy 4X4 K2500 pickup as it wasn't ever gonna pass those emission tests... That 350 V8 was awesome out in the mud... back in the day...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    How often do you have to do emissions? I wonder if I've broken a law by not going to emissions
    I'm not sure. Every other, or every 4th year. Something like that.

And there were some ways around it for several years after implementation, such as getting a 10,000# GVW truck plate. Of course you had to have a van, Suburban/Excursion or pickup to get that plate.

Slowly the noose has been tightened around our necks. Not sure what 'real' exemptions exist, if any.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I just had to give you a hard time. I wore it to the V-day shoot and nobody took pics of it then. That's fine, I'd hate to break all those cameras! :)

There are pics of you in the shirt. Not sure it shows both sides or not. Would have to look again. Love the Rangerup shirts,

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom