• Status
    Not open for further replies.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I hate rusty cars. I hate chicago winters for making my car rusty. I'm going to have to "redneck" my ball joint out of my car. I have the ball joint disconnected from the control arm but the castle nut is stuck solid onto the stud.

Sigh.

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    I hate rusty cars. I hate chicago winters for making my car rusty. I'm going to have to "redneck" my ball joint out of my car. I have the ball joint disconnected from the control arm but the castle nut is stuck solid onto the stud.

Sigh.

PB BLASTER!!!!

it was sent down from the jeep gods. :cool:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Tried it.

Ya know what. The idiot who installed this ball joint didn't install it right. The hole for the cotter pin is facing the wrong way, and its all but rusted off leaving an impossible to move piece of rusty metal holding the nut on.

The nut is all busted up now and the only thing that will shift the effing thing is a sawzall or a dremel.

I have a whole case of PB blaster from a buddy of mine... so that's not a problem. :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I hate rust. . .
    I hate rust.

Put an 18" pipe wrench around the main nut on my 500 gallon diesel fuel storage tank. I need to remove and replace the fuel transfer pump. Started beating on it with a 4# hand sledge hammer. Didn't budge. Sprayed some more PB Blaster. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again.

I'll try again tomorrow.

And Sunday.

And . . .

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Good luck. I hate people who don't know what anti-seize is. EVERY time I take a fastener off my car it goes back on with some anti seize slopped on there.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Don't waste time/money on Gaucho's. Go up to Chicago and go to Fogo de Chao...I know, I know...Chicago...but you'll be happy you did it. Or I guess you can go down to Indy for Fogo.

Sorry. I would not spend one red cent in Illinois unless it was absolutely necessary and it benefited me a thousand times over. Fogo in Chicago does not rise to the occasion. I would rather crawl to Evansville, IN for a $50 can of Spam than drive to Chicago, IL for a $1 full course meal at Fogo.

I take as much as I can from that corrupt state as I can and give as little as I can in return (money).

Fogo in Indy on the other hand ... I've looked into it but tabled the idea. We are keeping it local.

@ all: Thanks for the reviews and suggestions.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I hate rust.

Put an 18" pipe wrench around the main nut on my 500 gallon diesel fuel storage tank. I need to remove and replace the fuel transfer pump. Started beating on it with a 4# hand sledge hammer. Didn't budge. Sprayed some more PB Blaster. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again. More PB Blaster, changed the wrench position. Beat it again.

I'll try again tomorrow.

And Sunday.

And . . .

Try the other direction. Seriously, sometimes you can break it going the "other" way and then it's easy squeezy.
    and put a 36" pipe one the end of that pipe wrench, have someone hold tension on it and then beat it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Try the other direction. Seriously, sometimes you can break it going the "other" way and then it's easy squeezy.
    and put a 36" pipe one the end of that pipe wrench, have someone hold tension on it and then beat it.
    I did the trick of beating it the wrong way first, then switching to the right way. Try to break the rust a bit, let the penetrating oil get into it.

Even before I started this I figured it would be a several day process to affect the removal of the old pump. So I'm not at all frustrated by the failure. . . but that does not mean I'm happy either! Honestly figure this could take a week to get installed. Maybe longer?

BTW, how did the drain project go? We missed you at the clubhouse while we were munching on our deep fried turkey, mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing . . . and apple & cranberry pie!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I HATE WINDOWS 8!!!!!!!

They got rid of the BIOS!!!! & finding the "new bios" is/was a royal PAIN IN THE A******!!!!! Still can't boot from the CD/DVD drive. GGGGGGGRRRRRRR

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    IT MOVED! :rockwoot:

No, we are not talking about Jedi's bowels when he switched to Windows 8 :toilet2:

We are talking about the rusty nut on my 500 gallon diesel tank. I was able to break it free from the rust. Its now soaking again with more penetrating oil. But the worst is over.

Now I have to assemble the new pump and get it ready to install. When that is done I can come back and actually remove this old rusty hulk of a pump that failed.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Sorry. I would not spend one red cent in Illinois unless it was absolutely necessary and it benefited me a thousand times over. Fogo in Chicago does not rise to the occasion. I would rather crawl to Evansville, IN for a $50 can of Spam than drive to Chicago, IL for a $1 full course meal at Fogo.

I take as much as I can from that corrupt state as I can and give as little as I can in return (money).

Fogo in Indy on the other hand ... I've looked into it but tabled the idea. We are keeping it local.

@ all: Thanks for the reviews and suggestions.

agree with the no illanoy thing, does meyer's castle still do the brazilian steakhouse thing? never tried it but heard from many people it was fantastic. south of 30 too! :D

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Btw after 6 passes with the razor I finally feel cleaned shaved!

please let him be talking about his face, please let him be talking about his face,please let him be talking about his face, please let him be talking about his face,please let him be talking about his face, please let him be talking about his face,please let him be talking about his face, please let him be talking about his face,please let him be talking about his face, please let him be talking about his face,please let him be talking about his face, please let him be talking about his face..............................................:n00b::n00b:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Have you tried beating on (perpendicular) the nut while using the wrench (sharp raps with a hand sledge)? ... or an improvised breaking bar (pipe .. as already mentioned)? ... or both? This technique has worked for me on lug nuts and other rusted-on items in the past.

Just some thoughts from someone that occasionally has to remove rusted-on caps from a hydrant ... where failure is not an option.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom